ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ktec or ktec/gaz coilovers

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
hey im currently stuck in a rut with what coilovers to go for between these

ktec- http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2853&appid=2
ktec/gaz- http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1441&appid=2

basicly i would like to know which is best for the money, Iv had a good search and only find bad reviews about gaz ones but the ktec ones cannot have the bump stiffness adjusted and sound like they may be abit too soft.
ideally i want to go quite low without scrubbing from hard cornering. i still want decent handling but certainly doesnt need to be the best out there as i dont have big bucks to spend unfortunatly perhaps a compromise between sitting quite low but handling as well as it can. if i could just get some opinions of which would be a best option. dont need to be told to get h&rs etc iv read plenty of threads and i gather they are better but are out of my budget. the chosen coilovers will also be for 182 cup with defferent spacing.
any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou
Adam.

ITB'd MK1
I wouldn't go anywhere near GAZ, and the cup version of the ktec ones dont give you enough camber adjustment, so I wouldn't use either of those. For road and on a budget, you're looking at vmaxx. Then it's a jump to spending around £1000. I'm working on a ~£800 option for cup fitment at the moment but i have no estimated time of being ready

ITB'd MK1
This is on cup fitment vmaxx, slammed and I've been told it doesn't rub with 4 people in it

lowered-1.jpg

lowered1.jpg

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
thanks for the quick reply mate. can i ask what is the main reason to stay clear of the gaz ones? is it just the reliability of the shocks leaking or are they terrible handling etc?
wow love that mate and thats the exact sort of stance i want maybe the front down a tad more ;) and is that fully wound down?
got a link to these vmaxx ones?

ITB'd MK1
GAZ stuff is unreliable and makes the car handle badly. It's a like a BOGOF ;)

the fronts come down about 10mm since that picture, we just let it settle for a week then tweaked it a touch. I do them supplied and fitted, prices on my website and in my traders section. Please remember though, they're definitely not a track coilover, they're much too soft for that, but they're nice for a low daily driver.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
okay il steer clear of the gaz setup then deffinatly dont want a bad handling car. as far as going on track im not sure because i would like to go on track but its not like itd be a common thing for me so maybe like once or twice in a year. would they be half capapble of atleast gettign on track?
cheers for the help pal il take a look at your site thankyou
just had a look fella and saw them at 469 fitted and seems your in bedford so not even to far from me either is that right?

Stripped yozza'd cup
okay il steer clear of the gaz setup then deffinatly dont want a bad handling car. as far as going on track im not sure because i would like to go on track but its not like itd be a common thing for me so maybe like once or twice in a year. would they be half capapble of atleast gettign on track?
cheers for the help pal il take a look at your site thankyou
just had a look fella and saw them at 469 fitted and seems your in bedford so not even to far from me either is that right?

Alot of people that buy them, take them on track, then end up selling them for something better.....

If you plan on tracking it, then you need to save the extra cash and get some top end coilovers.

OR, you could get some non-cup hubs, then you have a much wider choice available.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
are they good enough for say a few trackdays a year though? not asif i expect them to be as good as others on h&rs etc. do they give better handling than the standard cup suspension?
just i cant really justify spending an extra 500 quid on new ast when i dont even plan on going track often?

ITB'd MK1
AST's are up around £1600 now!!!!

Really depends what you're like as a driver with the track days. 2 a year isn't much, and you're not likely to be pushing the car to it's limits if you're relatively inexperienced. An experienced track driver would hate them though. As i said they're a road coilover. I've found nothing in cup fitment that's worth using or at least I'm happy to sell, which is why I'm trying to get something "midrange" made by a respected suspension manufacturer. Every set of H&R's I see on cars have the front shocks knocking so I wont touch those. Unfortunate really as they do work, but that just get huge slack in the front shocks.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with danny about the cup ktec suspension not giving enough camber adjustment. Cant even get 1 degree -ive from mine.

How are yours coming along danny, pm me if there's any updates :eek:

is gaz stuff really that bad , my mate has just started selling it and was contemplating buying a set of there goldline coilovers ,

Gay Clio 172 phs1
I can't stand my ktec ones lol.

Danny why do you hate gaz coilovers so much and when did you last try a set?

amazing how Gaz yet other forums rave about them, yeah they are a track focussed set-up but still they arent as stiff as people say they are.

ive got Gaz on my ph1 and cant fault them and if i have a problem ill go down to Gaz and speak to them and they offer a good warrenty survice

ITB'd MK1
I can't stand my ktec ones lol.

Danny why do you hate gaz coilovers so much and when did you last try a set?

Ask Dave88. his are so bad he's been on the verge of getting rid of the car. Rears were only 6 months old when they pissed out their fluid for the 2nd time.

They also have totally non progressive damping even when they're new

S4 Avant
Hi.

Gaz are the worst coilovers for a clio ever.

As Dan says, mine pissed all their oil out a long time ago, and once they're empty you're left with no damping, and a car that is quite happy to bounce up and down on the springs.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Gaz are utter turd. I sold em after about a month on my original cup, they ruined the car

Billies, H&R, KW are a world away!

the lotus boy's seem to rave about gaz coilover's , i have read a lot on the net that they are very unreliable though , think i may go down the ast route as they seem to be the best setup , just need to find a decent set at a good price

ITB'd MK1
In that price range for 182 cup fitment, vmaxx are the only ones to go for. There's very few in the correct fitment to start with

what coily's would you get for a cup 182 danny , i wanted a set of bilstein b14's but they dont do in a cup fitment , want something that is going to perform good on track , my budget is about £750 max

i had the kw v1's on my old clio 172 , and they were a bit soft to be honest , not a very good track setup , more of a road setup IMO , they may be good if you put a harder set of springs in but i want something out of the box that is going to be good on track , the v2's and 3's will more than likely be better but they are out of my price range , are fk's quite good for track ???

BG 182
I had the KW v1's on my old 172, they were awesome but as you say nick i think better for road use and show. The v3's would be better for track use iirc

RB 182 cup
f**king hell everone slates gaz

ive had mine for 2 years now with no problems and handling is fine, dont really see the probem?

172 CUP
f**king hell everone slates gaz

ive had mine for 2 years now with no problems and handling is fine, dont really see the probem?

Me too,Cant understand why everyone slates GAZ ive had no problems and think they handle superurb.

ITB'd MK1
i had the kw v1's on my old clio 172 , and they were a bit soft to be honest , not a very good track setup , more of a road setup IMO , they may be good if you put a harder set of springs in but i want something out of the box that is going to be good on track , the v2's and 3's will more than likely be better but they are out of my price range , are fk's quite good for track ???
I thought v1s were horrid tbh, bottomed out the damper very easily. Not tried v2s, but in any case they don't do a 60mm fitment

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
After having Koni yellow dampers all round i'm seriously tempted to go FK Konigsports. It seems to me you not only get the adjustable height but adjustable damping too which i liked on my Koni sports suspension. The price seems reasonable for what you get.

Surely you can't go too far wrong with a name like Koni on board? It seems to fill the gap between a K-Tec setup then all the way to a Bilstein in cost. I have K-Tec and want to change to a more track focused setup but not hit the wallet hard.

There seems to be too many threads about soo many suspension setups......

ITB'd MK1
After having Koni yellow dampers all round i'm seriously tempted to go FK Konigsports. It seems to me you not only get the adjustable height but adjustable damping too which i liked on my Koni sports suspension. The price seems reasonable for what you get.

Surely you can't go too far wrong with a name like Koni on board? It seems to fill the gap between a K-Tec setup then all the way to a Bilstein in cost. I have K-Tec and want to change to a more track focused setup but not hit the wallet hard.

There seems to be too many threads about soo many suspension setups......

again, not available in cup fitment......

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Which is a shame, but for me I'm a phase 1 owner and seriously considering purchasing a set

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
thanks again for the info and danny i will be contacting you soon to sort out the coilovers thankyou :)

Renault Sport clio 1
Is it just the mix of Cup hubs and Gaz?

I need/want to get new suspension thats adjusable for about £500?

Gaz seemed to be the way?

Demon tweeks seem to offer a range for non cups?

Btw I have a ph2 172 FF

ITB'd MK1
Is it just the mix of Cup hubs and Gaz?

I need/want to get new suspension thats adjusable for about £500?

Gaz seemed to be the way?

Demon tweeks seem to offer a range for non cups?

Btw I have a ph2 172 FF

You have the widest choice going for that model. FK for that mind of money