ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laguna hubs on the Clio Williams

Hi,
I’ve just picked up a clio Williams rally car. I’m considering turning it into a Clio Maxi kit car. What options do I have?
I’m still a newbie on Clios and have a lot to learn.

I’ve seen that people are using laguna front hubs with a few modifications for standard width cars. What extra modifications would be needed to widen them 50mm +/- either side. What hubs are they from? Where do I buy these parts in the UK already modified?

I’ve seen they sell some items to widen a Clio mk1 in France from ruanova performance. Anyone sell of have information about people doing it here in the UK?

Last edited:

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Clio Maxi kit car. What options do I have?

Quit while you're ahead as this route is painfully expensive :ROFLMAO:

Bordanovasport are another decent source for parts to go down the Maxi route and Pure Motorsport sell a few bits that although aren't Maxi, they'll help with widening bits & bobs, especially some Mk2 items

As for the Laguna hubs, it's dependant on what fitment shock absorbers you're going to use. If staying with Mk1 fitment the hubs will need to be machined for them to be able to fit but if you use Mk2 Clio shocks they'll fit without machining

Although the picture quality is terrible, this advert shows all the Maxi suspension components https://www.mikadoracing.com/index.php?action=DETAILLER&id_annonce=1844949

I know a couple of people have fitted this kind of thing to the suspension tops to allow the shocks to be pushed further out to make the extra width

Maxi tops.jpg

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I can't imagine you'll find too many people with direct experience in the UK, as modified MK1s are a bit thin on the ground these days. I can't remember the last time I saw one at a rally sadly. Would be great if you can make it work though.

Stick a thread up about the car too, would be good to see it!

Quit while you're ahead as this route is painfully expensive :ROFLMAO:

Bordanovasport are another decent source for parts to go down the Maxi route and Pure Motorsport sell a few bits that although aren't Maxi, they'll help with widening bits & bobs, especially some Mk2 items

As for the Laguna hubs, it's dependant on what fitment shock absorbers you're going to use. If staying with Mk1 fitment the hubs will need to be machined for them to be able to fit but if you use Mk2 Clio shocks they'll fit without machining

Although the picture quality is terrible, this advert shows all the Maxi suspension components https://www.mikadoracing.com/index.php?action=DETAILLER&id_annonce=1844949

I know a couple of people have fitted this kind of thing to the suspension tops to allow the shocks to be pushed further out to make the extra width

View attachment 1709547

Thanks Paddy,
At the moment I’m still at the research stage. The car is a rally car already with a wide body kit, but it doesn’t have, from what I can see the wide suspension to match.

So the options are:
1. put the correct Maxi kitcar body kit on it or
2. revert it back to Clio Williams group A spec.
Both replicas in looks only.

I won’t be chasing an appendix K rally car historic log book/passport for it, but due to its age, I will be going down the rally replica route so it can be used in the Historic rallying demo events here and abroad and also standard rallying events.

I’m looking for more ways of making it wider.
So far, I’ve seen laguna front hubs and scenic rear beam axles used, but I don’t know of any technical details, how to do it or where to buy the stuff?

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I'm building one at the moment, plan is:

Clio 182 front struts
Clio 182 hubs with bridgecraft kit
Clio 182 lower arms
DCI manual rack with custom inner rods
Custom driveshafts
Custom ARB
Custom tubular subframe
Custom strut towers

182/cup rear stub axles
20mm stub axle spacer kit

I'm building one at the moment, plan is:

Clio 182 front struts
Clio 182 hubs with bridgecraft kit
Clio 182 lower arms
DCI manual rack with custom inner rods
Custom driveshafts
Custom ARB
Custom tubular subframe
Custom strut towers

182/cup rear stub axles
20mm stub axle spacer kit

That’s great.
How long are you into your project? Any build photos.
Also, any links to where I can buy any of the parts or places for information on this way of doing the maxi suspension?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I'm about this long into it :ROFLMAO::

20240516_151854.jpg

All the 182 bits can be bought from anywhere, the trick bits are:

Bridgecraft hubs http://www.bridgecraftmotorsportcomponents.co.uk/
PMS stub axle spacer bits https://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/clio-172-182-stub-axle-spacer-kit.html

Everything else either needs to be made or modified from used parts.

This is the fitment with all the 182 Cup bits swapped over (AST 5100, Bridgecraft Hubs, DCI rack, Williams ARB, 172 driveshafts, 182 Cup lower arms, Stock 182 brakes). I think this would be a great place to stop unless you have your heart set on a Maxi as the parts are cheap and available, nothing has to be custom made or costs mega money and its slightly wider track with better suspension and brake options. Bear in mind you'll need a JC5 gearbox with this. For the extra 50mm for maxi you then need custom subframe, driveshafts, track rods, arb and to move the strut towers out (may be able to get away without moving the strut tops out, will see what its like when its all fitted but I imagine the camber might be too much).

20240605_123336.jpg

20240605_123325.jpg

View attachment 1709585

PMS stub axle spacer bits https://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/clio-172-182-stub-axle-spacer-kit.html

This is the fitment with all the 182 Cup bits swapped over (AST 5100, Bridgecraft Hubs, DCI rack, Williams ARB, 172 driveshafts, 182 Cup lower arms, Stock 182 brakes). I think this would be a great place to stop unless you have your heart set on a Maxi as the parts are cheap and available, nothing has to be custom made or costs mega money and its slightly wider track with better suspension and brake options. Bear in mind you'll need a JC5 gearbox with this. For the extra 50mm for maxi you then need custom subframe, driveshafts, track rods, arb and to move the strut towers out (may be able to get away without moving the strut tops out, will see what its like when its all fitted but I imagine the camber might be too much).

View attachment 1709587

View attachment 1709588

View attachment 1709585

View attachment 1709587

View attachment 1709588
thanks gasman.
TBH I don’t know exactly what’s on the car at the moment, but it’s either going to stay the width it is or maxi. Ie. standard Williams arches or maxi. Can’t make my mind up.

I can't imagine you'll find too many people with direct experience in the UK, as modified MK1s are a bit thin on the ground these days. I can't remember the last time I saw one at a rally sadly. Would be great if you can make it work though.

Stick a thread up about the car too, would be good to see it!
Hi,
I’ve just found out the previous owner of the rally car I just bought might have been on here. You may be able to tell me more about my car than I know?
I’ll get some photos and put them up in a bit.

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
thanks gasman.
TBH I don’t know exactly what’s on the car at the moment, but it’s either going to stay the width it is or maxi. Ie. standard Williams arches or maxi. Can’t make my mind up.

Maxi is doable, but for the front end alone I'll be surprised if you get any change from £5k once its all done. Standard Williams arches with 182 running gear/uprights, F7 engine with JC5 box seems to be the best compromise

Here’s the car I bought.
It’s a modern rallly car with a strange body kit on it which I want to change. Thats why I’m either going to go back to Williams spec or maxi.

Attachments

• IMG_8468.jpeg
    IMG_8468.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 40

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I was going to ask if the car was yellow. Did it belong to a bloke called Rod Parkin in past? Not sure if he was on here, but I seem to remember buying something of him at some point, and he had a yellow Clio with wide arches. Was it on eBay recently?

I was going to ask if the car was yellow. Did it belong to a bloke called Rod Parkin in past? Not sure if he was on here, but I seem to remember buying something of him at some point, and he had a yellow Clio with wide arches. Was it on eBay recently?
Yes, that’s the one. 👍🏻

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I'm sure I have some pictures that Rod sent me years ago, before it had the wide arches fitted. Will see if I can dig them up.

I'm sure I have some pictures that Rod sent me years ago, before it had the wide arches fitted. Will see if I can dig them up.
If you could that would be great. I’m trying to find as much history on the car as possible. I’ve just found out that the car did the tour of Mull at least 6 times! 😁

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
119-ss8c-jpg.jpg

Would be interesting to know if he did anything to get extra width other than spacers. I spoke to the owners of these two when planning mine:

1725435165920.jpeg
q=tbn:ANd9GcQWZm2FRHJHst8DFCEwyUzBtluWiwV4yWXXJg&s.jpg

Uses extended ball joints and spacers.

ohc=yg9p-DuUpk4Q7kNvgEnMUvQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr6-2.jpg

Uses 172 hubs, wheel spacers and ET0 wheels.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
You had me confused as hell with the surname, I know Rod & was thinking wow there's 2 blokes called Rod with yellow Mk1 rally cars🤣

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
If you could that would be great. I’m trying to find as much history on the car as possible. I’ve just found out that the car did the tour of Mull at least 6 times! 😁
I vaguely know some bits & bobs about the car, I bought my track car shell from Rod and traded loads of other parts with him over the years so always spoke about the car & events he did in it

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
You had me confused as hell with the surname, I know Rod & was thinking wow there's 2 blokes called Rod with yellow Mk1 rally cars🤣

Ha, I confused myself. The other Rod is also involved in the rally scene too. Too many Rods!

Can't actually remember what I bought from him now, must have been the best part of 10 years ago.

I vaguely know some bits & bobs about the car, I bought my track car shell from Rod and traded loads of other parts with him over the years so always spoke about the car & events he did in it
You probably know more about the car than I do?
I’m still doing research on the cars history. For some reason the car was fitted with some rally solid lifter cams and the new engine now has mild Kent 2002 cams. Did you buy them of him?

View attachment 1709695
Would be interesting to know if he did anything to get extra width other than spacers. I spoke to the owners of these two when planning mine:

View attachment 1709694View attachment 1709696
Uses extended ball joints and spacers.

View attachment 1709697
Uses 172 hubs, wheel spacers and ET0 wheels.
I’d love to answer that question, but I don’t know. There’s definitely 15-20mm spacers all round and 17” et35 wheels as in the photo.
How can I tell what hubs are on it? And part numbers?

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
If you measure the diameter of the hole in the hub for the driveshaft spline as well as the thickness of the stub axle where it attaches to the shock absorber you'll know if it's a mk1 or mk2 hub as they're different sizes (I can't remember them off the top of my head) which will also help tell you what the rest of the suspension bits are

If you measure the diameter of the hole in the hub for the driveshaft spline as well as the thickness of the stub axle where it attaches to the shock absorber you'll know if it's a mk1 or mk2 hub as they're different sizes (I can't remember them off the top of my head) which will also help tell you what the rest of the suspension bits are
I can check the hole size on a spare pair of driveshafts I got with the car and the hub when I get 5 to take the wheel off when I get five.

I’ve had this email from the Ruanova company in France.
Front suspension uses modified Renault laguna front hubs and Renault scenic rear beam. What for you think? This looks a good way of making the Clio a maxi without spacers?

For rear for sure this kit:
- https://ruanovaperformance.com/es/suspension/224-puente-trasero-maxi-clio-r5-no-oficial.html
- Also, for improve handling I modified the rear angle of shocks. I will send you pics and measures to do that.

For front, what I will use is this:

- https://ruanovaperformance.com/es/suspension/306-manguetas-maxi-renault-15-ruanova.html

- https://ruanovaperformance.com/es/suspension/310-pletinas-amortiguador-manguetas-maxi-renault.html

- https://ruanovaperformance.com/es/s...l/199-rotulas_ina_elges-2_marca_calidad_media

Then for give the more track width there is 2 options:
Oem reinforced whisbones with Billet CNC Unibal bottom ball joint KIT that increase 5cm per side and 2cm in advance: https://ruanovaperformance.com/gb/s...enuine-unibal-ball-joint-kit-for-renault.html
Custom tubular wishbones, with NMB bearings and adjustable:

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I think personally I'd rather have the extra width in the subframe than the lower arms/ball joints. But mine is for tarmac only (hill climb). All that kit looks awesome though.

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
That rear beam looks awesome:

Does it use coilovers and turrets or keep the angled rear damper set up?

Also interested in the scenic rear beam, which model and what width it gives? Is it a straight swap?

It looks like it used uprated torsion bars and standard shocks to suit a lowered car. I had to use my phone to translate!

Also interested in the scenic rear beam, which model and what width it gives? Is it a straight swap?translate

Also interested in the scenic rear beam, which model and what width it gives? Is it a straight swap?
I believe it’s a straight swap

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
If it's French stuff, it might be built to meet the regulations for the F2000 category. They're quite strict in terms of what you can and can't modify, so that might influence it.

I seem to recall that F2000 requires the use of a standard subframe for example.

If it's French stuff, it might be built to meet the regulations for the F2000 category. They're quite strict in terms of what you can and can't modify, so that might influence it.

I seem to recall that F2000 requires the use of a standard subframe for example.
Ok, I didn’t realise that. I think it’s a good kit. And it’s the most of the shelf kit I’ve seen so far.

Ruanova pretty much make all of the dream parts for a proper setup. If I had a pot of cash to build a dream clio it'll definitely be spent there!

That scenic rear beam allows for some really thick torsion bars and can be shimmed for alignment. The Mk1 beam can aligned too just needs modifying before doing so.

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Ruanova pretty much make all of the dream parts for a proper setup. If I had a pot of cash to build a dream clio it'll definitely be spent there!

That scenic rear beam allows for some really thick torsion bars and can be shimmed for alignment. The Mk1 beam can aligned too just needs modifying before doing so.

Do you know which scenic beam it is? Does it give any wider track by itself?