ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lancer Evolution Appreciation Thread

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Completely agree, I've wanted an Evo 5 since I was a teenager but what genuinely scares me about older Evo's is the rust now.. I can deal with mechanical repairs no worries. I was down at Mitsi Art in Portsmouth a while back and he was telling me that a good portion of his business is replacing rear metal work on E5/E6's :confused: now, chassis rails, X member and boot floor.

All Jap cars are the same, they're getting to the age where if they haven't been undersealed they need lots of welding and replacement panels, shame really [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
All Jap cars are the same, they're getting to the age where if they haven't been undersealed they need lots of welding and replacement panels, shame really [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you say so....[emoji1]

ce9a862de6220761018b2c9c0197e59d.jpg
0554311ad15b7e8dfd2e3f6af04085c6.jpg

Countryman JCW
Some awesome Evo's in this thread, I've had mine for 3 years now and love it!!! I won't deny that I have been a bit fed up with it at times but I wouldn't change it!
BRG_1479_zpsbteko4z3.jpg

IMG_20170422_141645_zps9rr1iotj.jpg

IMG_20170422_141631_zpszcikhgcy.jpg

(Yes I know the exhaust is still dirty 😅)
What were you fed up with?

Racing Blue 182
What were you fed up with?
Well tbh some of it was my fault! I bought the XXRs pictured after being assured they fit with no issues and I had massive arch rub! I then found out that it is running lowering springs (which previous owner didn't know about) on the back which I have since bought a replacement so hopefully it sorts that out!

Most of it is just not having much opportunity to drive it as I have moved away, so paying for the insurance/tax/garage/etc. and only driving it once in a blue moon, I thought I should just sell it - but every time I drive it, I fall in love all over again and I couldn't part with it!

Evo 5 RS
Just got back from Dynotech. My actuator had seen better days so had been overboosting a bit, so replaced that naturally. Also the turbo has been replaced at some point, but not the right one. It's a 6 GSR, same 10.5 size and you can only really tell by the ID plate, but plan on getting that changed (to an 80 series) along with the downpipe and intercooler on my next visit.

Besides that, it made 387BHP and 370ftlbs. Goes pretty damn well!

Evo 5 RS
Oh, that's only at 1.6 bar. Told him not to thrash this turbo as not sure how old it is now lol. Don't feel so bad about it now, though. Just means I've got an excuse to go bigger :smiley:.

On low boost mode it's making 340bhp, so stock essentially. P.S flames.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Oh, that's only at 1.6 bar. Told him not to thrash this turbo as not sure how old it is now lol. Don't feel so bad about it now, though. Just means I've got an excuse to go bigger :smiley:.

On low boost mode it's making 340bhp, so stock essentially. P.S flames.
Git.

Even after having my turbo billeted mine won't make that power. [emoji45]
And I'm staying at 1.5 bar.

Evo 5 RS
Yeah but at least your car is imported and box fresh. I have no idea why that turbo is on this car lol. I messaged Ant earlier and he thinks as do I that it might have had an 80 series on it at some point and put back to stock. Anyway, the numbers and how it drives are what's important!

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah but at least your car is imported and box fresh. I have no idea why that turbo is on this car lol. I messaged Ant earlier and he thinks as do I that it might have had an 80 series on it at some point and put back to stock. Anyway, the numbers and how it drives are what's important!
TLDR. Catch me up.

Evo 6?! You bought one of Ant's cars?

Evo 5 RS
TLDR. Catch me up.

Evo 6?! You bought one of Ant's cars?

No, was just in conversation about mine. Seems it has had the turbo replaced with an Evo 6 part, but it's a 10.5 so virtually the same besides being double and not single flapper. I don't think the previous owner realised. The upshot is it doesn't look too old, however you can see it tailing off after 6.5k in the power graph.

The car goes like fkin stink, though

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
No, was just in conversation about mine. Seems it has had the turbo replaced with an Evo 6 part, but it's a 10.5 so virtually the same besides being double and not single flapper. I don't think the previous owner realised. The upshot is it doesn't look too old, however you can see it tailing off after 6.5k in the power graph.

The car goes like fkin stink, though

Oh right!

I thought 8 turbos did more clever things than the 6 ones? Or is that 9's with the mivec stuff?

Countryman JCW
@Silent_Scone I thought the 8 MR's came with an 80's series turbo as standard, like the 9 FQ's ?

If not, then i'm confused by you saying it had an 80's series on it, then put back to standard, but now it has a 10.5? Unless a 10.5 is standard on the 8 MR?

Evo 5 RS
No, only the 9s did as far as I'm aware. 10.5 is standard on the MR
8MR
p/n = 49378-1560 (TD05HR-16G6-10.5T)
GSR = TD05HR-16G6-10.5T or TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (Ti Alloy option)
RS = 6MT:TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T or 5MT:TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5 or 9.8 (RS-5speed)
Compressor 16G6 = Aluminium
Inducer = 48.3mm
Exducer = 68mm
Turbine housing = single flapper

6 GSR
p/n = 49178-01550 (GSR)
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-10.5T (GSR)
Turbo = TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (RS/RS2)
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5
TD05HR turbine = GSR - Inconel (steel alloy)
TD05HRA turbine = RS Titanium alloy
Compressor 16G6 = Aluminium
Inducer = 48.3mm
Exducer = 68mm
Turbine housing = twin flapper

Real question is, if aiming for 400/400. Is it worth changing back to the single flapper. Not really...changing the downpipe and intercooler will probably get you most of the way there...
If there's any point changing at all, needs to be the 80 series.

Last edited:

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
when the R goes I'm going to be on the look out for a IX estate.

Evo 5 RS
The car feels a lot more aggressive now since the map, and sounds it too. Pulling in 3rd gear really pulls you back in your seat. Need to get the other half to drive it so I can feel what it's like from the other seat lol.

I'm afraid I might have the bug.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The car feels a lot more aggressive now since the map, and sounds it too. Pulling in 3rd gear really pulls you back in your seat. Need to get the other half to drive it so I can feel what it's like from the other seat lol.

I'm afraid I might have the bug.
We need a vid mate. [emoji106]

Evo 5 RS
Rossport have told me that the Evo IX 80 series BB is rare as currently, and they have no ETA but expect stock around mid June (maybe, perhaps, who knows)
Bit of a kick in the bum after biting the bullet on best part of 1,500. I'm happy to wait, though

It's drive your shed to work day

WqVYjwA.jpg

Countryman JCW
Rossport have told me that the Evo IX 80 series BB is rare as currently, and they have no ETA but expect stock around mid June (maybe, perhaps, who knows)
Bit of a kick in the bum after biting the bullet on best part of 1,500. I'm happy to wait, though

It's drive your shed to work day
Did you try Ant @ Indigo for the turbo? they advertise them on the MLR in the shop? maybe worth a shot to speed things up?

Evo 5 RS
No mate will give them a bell. Can always cancel.

Edit: Nope none in, but said they could add one on for an order next week if I ordered today. Would need to cancel with Rosssport first and since I did it on 6 month term, don't think I can be arsed. I don't mind waiting - need to order up exhaust and other bits first.

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
Ok, so confirmed shopping list on back order...6 week wait on C-Tec, but worth it

Mitsubishi Evo IX 80 Series Turbo (BB) - Evo 4-9 - £1,400
C-TEC 3" Cat Back Exhaust System: Evo VII / VIII - £700
C-Tec: True 3" Modular Downpipe: Evo VII - IX - £555
:tired:

Might have to do something about the number plate, too

9OxiML0.jpg