ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lancer Evolution Appreciation Thread

Countryman JCW
Nice! Spec?
Cheers, it's a standard 9 FQ320 with Meista R Coilovers n that's it basically. Really tidy and full service history from new.

Been on the case to Auto Torque for a full service including belts soon as I collect it, and also winding it up to the magical 400/400. Any ideas what I'm looking at in terms of bolt ons? MLR threads I've found seem to say

Air filter
Decat
3 port boost solenoid
Fuel pump
Remap

Was sure a full 3" system and ctec modular down pipe would be needed too?

Evo 5 RS
Cheers, it's a standard 9 FQ320 with Meista R Coilovers n that's it basically. Really tidy and full service history from new.

Been on the case to Auto Torque for a full service including belts soon as I collect it, and also winding it up to the magical 400/400. Any ideas what I'm looking at in terms of bolt ons? MLR threads I've found seem to say

Air filter
Decat
3 port boost solenoid
Fuel pump
Remap

Was sure a full 3" system and ctec modular down pipe would be needed too?

good luck with the downpipe. C-Tec waiting times are a joke currently. Some poor sod has been waiting 18 weeks for his X System.

The parts you've listed will take you to circa 380 (Dyno Dynamics at least). Not sure if the 320 has the HKS downpipe, though.

I'm thinking of picking up the M2 3" downpipe. A lot of good feedback, and only £150, along with Russ Fellows exhaust system.

Definitely go 3" all the way though

Countryman JCW
good luck with the downpipe. C-Tec waiting times are a joke currently. Some poor sod has been waiting 18 weeks for his X System.

The parts you've listed will take you to circa 380 (Dyno Dynamics at least). Not sure if the 320 has the HKS downpipe, though.

I'm thinking of picking up the M2 3" downpipe. A lot of good feedback, and only £150, along with Russ Fellows exhaust system.

Definitely go 3" all the way though
Ah thanks for the heads up mate. Will see what Auto Torque have available, and if needs be, get the necessary ordered ASAP!

Any luck progressing your list of parts? I'm assuming they are all being bought with the aim of 400/400?

I need to check what the 320 has, but I do know it's got the cat back HKS Super dragger as standard, only a 2.5" though. I'm quite keen on keeping the volume down as it's my daily.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ah thanks for the heads up mate. Will see what Auto Torque have available, and if needs be, get the necessary ordered ASAP!

Any luck progressing your list of parts? I'm assuming they are all being bought with the aim of 400/400?

I need to check what the 320 has, but I do know it's got the cat back HKS Super dragger as standard, only a 2.5" though. I'm quite keen on keeping the volume down as it's my daily.
I'm sure you'll need a full 3" system if the aim is 400hp mate.

It's the case on my car anyway bud, good choice in buying the Evo mate did the pulsar sell? [emoji2]

Countryman JCW
I'm sure you'll need a full 3" system if the aim is 400hp mate.

It's the case on my car anyway bud, good choice in buying the Evo mate did the pulsar sell? [emoji2]
Cheers Scott,

Yeah I'm sure the 3" pipe is a must. Shopping will start as soon as I've picked it up hopefully. I think we need to organise a Jap rally car meet with those of us ok here that are interested.

Yeah Pulsar sold within 10-15 mins of putting it up, glad to see the back of the bloody thing tbh.

Evo 5 RS

Yes mate that's the aim, or there abouts.

I've given up on the C-Tec idea as above, but turbo still on order. RossSport have told me they're due in end of this week, then off to Owen Developments for the core.

Russ Fellows do some awesome systems, and at £390 for the cat back, it's hard to pass up.

http://www.russfellowsfabrications.co.uk/evo789.html

Link to the downpipe: https://www.rosssport.com/Brands/M2/Mitsubishi-Evo-7-9-Front-Pipe-M2EVO-FP7-9
A lot of people have commented that the welds are a lot better than what you see on the Blitz pipes lol

Last edited:
  Countryman JCW
Yes mate that's the aim, or there abouts.

I've given up on the C-Tec idea as above, but turbo still on order. RossSport have told me they're due in end of this week, then off to Owen Developments for the core.

Russ Fellows do some awesome systems, and at £390 for the cat back, it's hard to pass up.

http://www.russfellowsfabrications.co.uk/evo789.html

Link to the downpipe: https://www.rosssport.com/Brands/M2/Mitsubishi-Evo-7-9-Front-Pipe-M2EVO-FP7-9
A lot of people have commented that the welds are a lot better than what you see on the Blitz pipes lol
Awesome! Big saving there thanks!!

Where are you taking yours for mapping?

Evo 5 RS
It's already been mapped but on the current turbo and a not-so great downpipe. Had Dynotech map the car, and it drives really nice. I'd do well to just leave it, but don't want to lol.

So 255 walbro pump, 3 port and 3" decat. Made 387bhp and 370ftlbs.

Going back with the 80 series BB turbo, downpipe and Russfellows catback system as soon as the turbo gets in.

Countryman JCW
It's already been mapped but on the current turbo and a not-so great downpipe. Had Dynotech map the car, and it drives really nice. I'd do well to just leave it, but don't want to lol.

So 255 walbro pump, 3 port and 3" decat. Made 387bhp and 370ftlbs.

Going back with the 80 series BB turbo, downpipe and Russfellows catback system as soon as the turbo gets in.
Good stuff, who's done/doing that? Did they just say the limiting factors were the blower and exhaust to hit 400/400?

Evo 5 RS
Dynotech will be doing all the work mate. Hopefully, that'll take me there yeah. Apparently, someone has fitted an Evo 6 turbo to mine at some point in time, hence I'm getting rid. Wouldn't have known, in fact, it was only the actuator being different that gave it away. Slightly different hot side, but same size. May also be a little tired.
Still, was a really warm day and 387 is not to be sniffed at. Really looking forward to getting the turbo on, though.

Is yours an MR? If not, you may want to look at cams, too. The MR cams are more aggressive, and even they can benefit from an upgrade. That's if you're chasing 400 for the sake of chasing it

Countryman JCW
Dynotech will be doing all the work mate. Hopefully, that'll take me there yeah. Apparently, someone has fitted an Evo 6 turbo to mine at some point in time, hence I'm getting rid. Wouldn't have known, in fact, it was only the actuator being different that gave it away. Slightly different hot side, but same size. May also be a little tired.
Still, was a really warm day and 387 is not to be sniffed at. Really looking forward to getting the turbo on, though.

Is yours an MR? If not, you may want to look at cams, too. The MR cams are more aggressive, and even they can benefit from an upgrade. That's if you're chasing 400 for the sake of chasing it
Mine is just a 9 FQ320, so the FQ360 MR as far as I know has the exact same engine as mine but with race cat, fuel pump, and remap. Or were you thinking I had another variant?

Its annoying as you see/hear so many opinions and recommendations for 400/400, just going to work with Auto Torque and see what they recommend.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
400bhp you need pump, 3 port, filter, 3" turbo back exhaust, and remap.

The IX engine produces more torque due to mivec, spools earlier due to mivec, and can produce 400+ with simple mods due to IX 80 series turbo.

Don't need cams, don't need mani, don't need modular downpipe, don't need IC etc.

Evo 5 RS
Mine is just a 9 FQ320, so the FQ360 MR as far as I know has the exact same engine as mine but with race cat, fuel pump, and remap. Or were you thinking I had another variant?

Its annoying as you see/hear so many opinions and recommendations for 400/400, just going to work with Auto Torque and see what they recommend.

If it's a 9 see above Ant's post, you won't need cams. I thought yours was an 8!

Countryman JCW
Picked her up last night :cool:

Drive home was great as i went to collect it with my mate in his 9 Wagon, so had some fun down the A/B roads we had to drive for the whole journey.

Completely forgot what driving around in a "proper" car felt like after having the completely numb/dull Golf R. Literally couldn't be happier. Shopping started at 7am this morning for some Ross Sport seat lowering brackets, my god it feels like sitting in a high chair lol!

Decided also to enjoy the power its at for now as it feels like plenty.... give it a week and i'll probably be looking for more though haha!

Evo 5 RS
lol yeah, the seating position is the first thing that sticks out. I went a whole year without going down the power route, although some of which with a fucked actuator so was probably running 1.9 bar but there we go. LOL

Also interesting to hear coming from the Golf R seeing as it's apparently the weapon of choice in the present

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Picked her up last night :cool:

Drive home was great as i went to collect it with my mate in his 9 Wagon, so had some fun down the A/B roads we had to drive for the whole journey.

Completely forgot what driving around in a "proper" car felt like after having the completely numb/dull Golf R. Literally couldn't be happier. Shopping started at 7am this morning for some Ross Sport seat lowering brackets, my god it feels like sitting in a high chair lol!

Decided also to enjoy the power its at for now as it feels like plenty.... give it a week and i'll probably be looking for more though haha!

Interesting to hear you say that too. The Golf is an absolute weapon for a production car but, in terms if driving engagement, I'm with you, it leaves a lot to be desired. Could say that about most modern cars though I guess.

Countryman JCW
lol yeah, the seating position is the first thing that sticks out. I went a whole year without going down the power route, although some of which with a fucked actuator so was probably running 1.9 bar but there we go. LOL

Also interesting to hear coming from the Golf R seeing as it's apparently the weapon of choice in the present

Interesting to hear you say that too. The Golf is an absolute weapon for a production car but, in terms if driving engagement, I'm with you, it leaves a lot to be desired. Could say that about most modern cars though I guess.

Yeah the golf is a million miles apart from this in terms of driver involvement and sheer fun behind the wheel. The Golf was good at a lot of things, which is why they call it a 90% car... it is far more comfy and convenient than the Evo, but that 10% it lacks is where the Evo is king.

Have you sorted your seat height out yet? If you havent i strongly suggest you do, its a bit of a game change... pricey, but well worth doing! Next on my list is to find a set of 8MR wheels like yours :cool:

Evo 5 RS
Yeah the golf is a million miles apart from this in terms of driver involvement and sheer fun behind the wheel. The Golf was good at a lot of things, which is why they call it a 90% car... it is far more comfy and convenient than the Evo, but that 10% it lacks is where the Evo is king.

Have you sorted your seat height out yet? If you havent i strongly suggest you do, its a bit of a game change... pricey, but well worth doing! Next on my list is to find a set of 8MR wheels like yours :cool:

I prefer your wheels. Time changes everything lol! No I've left the seat as is. You get used to it, even though I'm pretty long in the body so it does feel a touch high. May look at it after I'm done with a few more resto parts / performance parts list

Countryman JCW
As requested @Silent_Scone...

Previous owner didn't care for cleaning the exhaust by the looks of it, so spent about an hour on it with some wire wool and Autosol. Not where i want it yet, but getting there. Also really don't like the carbon surround for the exhaust so will be looking to get that off as long as i don't damage anything.
IMG_5849.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_5844.jpg
IMG_5847.jpg
IMG_5843.jpg
[/URL]

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
As requested @Silent_Scone...

Previous owner didn't care for cleaning the exhaust by the looks of it, so spent about an hour on it with some wire wool and Autosol. Not where i want it yet, but getting there. Also really don't like the carbon surround for the exhaust so will be looking to get that off as long as i don't damage anything.
IMG_5849.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_5844.jpg
IMG_5847.jpg
IMG_5843.jpg
[/URL]
[emoji7] [emoji106]

Countryman JCW
Looks well! The carbon surround is stock I think.
Is it? oh ok, i thought it was just the FQ360's that got the carbon goodies. Fair enough i'll leave it on then. Vortex Generator needs re-lacquering along with the front splitter, so will be looking to get that sorted over the next week or two. Then Cambelt and fluids with Auto Torque... i know i said i wasnt going to, but i've since changed my mind about adding some more ponies to the beast :laughing:

Evo 5 RS
Is it? oh ok, i thought it was just the FQ360's that got the carbon goodies. Fair enough i'll leave it on then. Vortex Generator needs re-lacquering along with the front splitter, so will be looking to get that sorted over the next week or two. Then Cambelt and fluids with Auto Torque... i know i said i wasnt going to, but i've since changed my mind about adding some more ponies to the beast :laughing:

I'd leave the surround even if not tbh, looks fine to me!

Lol, it's an eventuality. Might as well do it now ;)

Countryman JCW
I'd leave the surround even if not tbh, looks fine to me!

Lol, it's an eventuality. Might as well do it now :wink:
Exactly!

Just been looking at the link you sent for the Russ Fellows exhaust... do you think it would be worth buying a turbo back system from them with a de-cat, or buying a cat back with de-cat and then the down pipe from Ross Sport?

Evo 5 RS
He told me they don't do the front pipe, so if you get told otherwise let me know lol. I've purchased the M2 pipe and waiting on Russ to tell me the exhaust is ready.

Countryman JCW
He told me they don't do the front pipe, so if you get told otherwise let me know lol. I've purchased the M2 pipe and waiting on Russ to tell me the exhaust is ready.
Ok, im confused? surely a turbo back includes the front pipe/down pipe? or are they different things? its confusing with all these pipes lol, modular pipe, front pipe, down pipe...

Evo 5 RS
Front pipe/down pipe same, they'll make you a 3" decat section and back from there, essentially. Least that's my limited understanding of it!

Countryman JCW
Front pipe/down pipe same, they'll make you a 3" decat section and back from there, essentially. Least that's my limited understanding of it!
Makes sense. £390 plus what ever they charge for a CAT, then the down pipe. Still good value for something i'm assuming they make to order? Any reviews on them and the sound they produce?

Evo 5 RS
I've not found any examples of sound, but people on the MLR swear by them. Think there's more of that exhaust on there than any other. I doubt it sounds quite as good as the C-Tec, but then at least you'll get what you paid for before you're too old to remember what you ordered.

They're custom mate, so just tell him what you roughly want sound wise. Loud or as quiet as you want. I went loud. lol (with optional bung)

Countryman JCW
I've not found any examples of sound, but people on the MLR swear by them. Think there's more of that exhaust on there than any other. I doubt it sounds quite as good as the C-Tec, but then at least you'll get what you paid for before you're too old to remember what you ordered.

They're custom mate, so just tell him what you roughly want sound wise. Loud or as quiet as you want. I went loud. lol (with optional bung)
spot on, looks like i'll be giving them a call after i've got it sorted with Auto Torque. Any idea on lead times for the exhausts?

Evo 5 RS
Russ told me about a week, and then they'd call for payment. Haven't had a chance to chase yet and I'm still waiting for the turbo so not in the mood to chase, going to call later

Countryman JCW
Russ told me about a week, and then they'd call for payment. Haven't had a chance to chase yet and I'm still waiting for the turbo so not in the mood to chase, going to call later
Good stuff.

I've just got off the phone to Auto Torque and looking to get the car in at the end of the month. Price break down for servicing work and supporting mods to go to 400bhp will all be detailed on there.

How different do they drive once mapped? obviously quicker, but im intrigued to know what the subtle differences are other than outright power/speed.

Evo 5 RS
Depends who maps it and the spec of the car, Ant might be able to give you a better answer as he's had multiple Evos. Mine feels a lot sharper, but with current turbo it seems to want to run out of puff after 6,5 grand. Still goes like utter stink, though. Real definitive answer will be how it compares with the exhaust and 80 series on for me.