ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop OR desktop?

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
i have a desktop pc at the moment but it has started to get very slow and i think i need to upgrade but have thought of getting a laptop because of the space it takes ups and i could use it anywere in the house.
i mainly use the computer for internet, music and photos it is very rare i play games on it.

specs at the moment are
pent 4 1.9Ghz
512 MB sdram
40 GB HDD

i seen this in the paper today and it looks good
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/572879

i am looking to spend about £500, what would you reccomend?
thanks

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
to be honest without looking around, thats a good spec for the money, mayb u could save on it not getting the monitor etc, but that would be plenty fast for you for a long time to come

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
If it's just for surfing I'd go with a laptop because of their flexibilty, especially with today's wifi networks.

You could format the desktop and get it running smoothly for the occasional game.

Clio 182
Your like me, I only use my PC for the same things as you now. Used to play games and that but now I just want rid of my PC and get a laptop. I'd much rather the space in my spare room now. I can't afford a laptop and if I sold my PC i'd just get peanuts for it even though I built it to an all singing and dancing gaming machine.

Revels Mum & Sister
IMO unless you desperately want a laptop for its mobility features stick with a desktop.

I find any long sessions on a laptop just piss me right off.

No more clio's for me!
Rasclart said:
IMO unless you desperately want a laptop for its mobility features stick with a desktop.

I find any long sessions on a laptop just piss me right off.

agreed!

Plus a desktop is less prone to wear and tear. We've just bought a new PC, from PC world - Advent T9208, fcuking amazing machine!

172 mk2 Iceberg
lap top will cost twice as much for the same power as a desktop...
and make your legs hot !!

I use a 17" laptop as my main PC. It's fairly quick and has plenty of memory so I use it wireless around the house and on the coffee table for almost everything, including downloading US TV shows..PARing and RARing. Encdoding to DVD and burning blah blah blah.

I like it because I'm not stuck in one room tied to the PC. It's a nice instant access point to the internet and it's sociable if I have people over who need to use the web - they can stay in my lounge and use the lappy wirelessly, or use their own lappy via my router. The TV is still there etc. etc. I find it just makes the lounge that bit more interactive as you can chill out in your usual surroundings and still have the PC there if you need it.

I do have a desktop upstairs though, but I use it mainly only for hardcore gaming.