ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop OR desktop?

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
i have a desktop pc at the moment but it has started to get very slow and i think i need to upgrade but have thought of getting a laptop because of the space it takes ups and i could use it anywere in the house.
i mainly use the computer for internet, music and photos it is very rare i play games on it.

specs at the moment are
pent 4 1.9Ghz
512 MB sdram
40 GB HDD

i seen this in the paper today and it looks good
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/572879

i am looking to spend about £500, what would you reccomend?
thanks

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
to be honest without looking around, thats a good spec for the money, mayb u could save on it not getting the monitor etc, but that would be plenty fast for you for a long time to come

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
If it's just for surfing I'd go with a laptop because of their flexibilty, especially with today's wifi networks.

You could format the desktop and get it running smoothly for the occasional game.

Clio 182
Your like me, I only use my PC for the same things as you now. Used to play games and that but now I just want rid of my PC and get a laptop. I'd much rather the space in my spare room now. I can't afford a laptop and if I sold my PC i'd just get peanuts for it even though I built it to an all singing and dancing gaming machine.

Revels Mum & Sister
IMO unless you desperately want a laptop for its mobility features stick with a desktop.

I find any long sessions on a laptop just piss me right off.

No more clio's for me!
Rasclart said:
IMO unless you desperately want a laptop for its mobility features stick with a desktop.

I find any long sessions on a laptop just piss me right off.

agreed!

Plus a desktop is less prone to wear and tear. We've just bought a new PC, from PC world - Advent T9208, fcuking amazing machine!

172 mk2 Iceberg
lap top will cost twice as much for the same power as a desktop...
and make your legs hot !!

I use a 17" laptop as my main PC. It's fairly quick and has plenty of memory so I use it wireless around the house and on the coffee table for almost everything, including downloading US TV shows..PARing and RARing. Encdoding to DVD and burning blah blah blah.

I like it because I'm not stuck in one room tied to the PC. It's a nice instant access point to the internet and it's sociable if I have people over who need to use the web - they can stay in my lounge and use the lappy wirelessly, or use their own lappy via my router. The TV is still there etc. etc. I find it just makes the lounge that bit more interactive as you can chill out in your usual surroundings and still have the PC there if you need it.

I do have a desktop upstairs though, but I use it mainly only for hardcore gaming.