ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop Overheating?

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Just recently when I'm watching videos on my laptop after 20ish minutes it will just turn itself off. This is while it is plugged in and the battery power is full.

I installed speed fan and that says my GPU is between 96c and 105c. Is that too high? Everything else is around 65c. It does feel hot to touch but it's been like that for a while. Sometimes it's too hot to touch!

Any ideas? Time for a new laptop? It's a Dell XPS M1530 from 2008.

Cupra
Google how to open it up then clean out the fans inside. Failing that, you might need to take the cooler heatsink off the CPU and reapply some new thermal paste.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
My old Dell 1558 used to do this, I had to completely take it apart every few months and hook the dust out of the heatsink and fan assembly.

It was all down to poor design really, the single large fan intake being right on the bottom worked like a hoover to any surface the laptop was placed on.

In the end I superglued a small square of mesh cloth to the inside of the case to act as a filter lol. Proper pikey, but it pretty much solved the problem.

Laptops should be no more than 80c

Can of compressed air will do the trick. But year 'carpets' build up on the heatsink like this. (Someones laptop at work)

wjhqao.jpg

sfwjfm.jpg

Or if you feel confident enough, disassemble the laptop and clean it thoroughly.

In fact, where abouts in Nottingham are you? I could clean it for you if you wanted!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Check your fan is actually working, mine died and needed replacing.

Also I bought a stand for it from ikea that helps no end!

340i

Can of compressed air will do the trick. But year 'carpets' build up on the heatsink like this. (Someones laptop at work)

wjhqao.jpg

sfwjfm.jpg

Or if you feel confident enough, disassemble the laptop and clean it thoroughly.

In fact, where abouts in Nottingham are you? I could clean it for you if you wanted!

Some of the machines ion our office are terrible, none of them have dust filters!

340i
Oh god! I went to clean a InFocus projector the other day. No filters in it at all, and really big air vents, dust all over the components and lenses.

Suffice to say the air compressor sorted it!

eurgh.

I'll get a photo of the older workstations we have here #grim

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
My old Dell 1558 used to do this, I had to completely take it apart every few months and hook the dust out of the heatsink and fan assembly.

It was all down to poor design really, the single large fan intake being right on the bottom worked like a hoover to any surface the laptop was placed on.

In the end I superglued a small square of mesh cloth to the inside of the case to act as a filter lol. Proper pikey, but it pretty much solved the problem.

My old was like this.

I just used a watch screwdriver kit and a YouTube video guide.

Took me like 30 mins to do. Easy.

Keep it ventilated too, if you just put it on your bed or your lap to watch stuff it'll shut off a lot. You need to prop it up a bit so the air can circulate.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404

wjhqao.jpg

sfwjfm.jpg

I'll buy a stand from IKEA and take it apart to give it a good clean. I've got all the tools from my PC build so I'll give it a go, thanks anyway!

Audi TTS S Tronic
Overheating is an extremely common cause on complete motherboard failure... and on laptops this can be VERY expensive to deal with!

Even from the factory, the heatsink and the thermal paste that is applied - isn't up to the job!

I clean out customers laptops very regularly

DO NOT USED COMPRESSED AIR!!!! it can screw the fans bearings or just force the dust back in to the fan whiich will then block it AGAIN!

Strip it down, lubricate the bearings on the fan and clean the heatsink grilles. Then clean off old thermal paste and put new paste on there. I usually get temps down to around 30C on models under 5 years old!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Overheating is an extremely common cause on complete motherboard failure... and on laptops this can be VERY expensive to deal with!

Even from the factory, the heatsink and the thermal paste that is applied - isn't up to the job!

I clean out customers laptops very regularly

DO NOT USED COMPRESSED AIR!!!! it can screw the fans bearings or just force the dust back in to the fan whiich will then block it AGAIN!

Strip it down, lubricate the bearings on the fan and clean the heatsink grilles. Then clean off old thermal paste and put new paste on there. I usually get temps down to around 30C on models under 5 years old!

Depends on how you use it. I've been using air lines for nearly 15 years and never had a problem with it. Like most things, be gentle and you'll be ok ;)

Certainly the best option for cleaning out PSUs anyway. No way would you be getting me stripping one of those and getting too close to a charged capacitor.

D.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
My laptop, cheap £300 one. The fan stopped working which makes it crash and sometimes wont even power on (maybe more damage)

I might just bin it, haven't used it in over a year. Is it worth getting it repaired?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hoover and compressed air never had any issues, its only a couple of quid for a new fan anyhow.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Air lines are the ones! We use them at work to clean machines out.

The garage ones get caked in all sorts and need blew out every few months really.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
As someone who has only ever pulled tape players to bits as a child is it easy to swap a fan over?

There are normally guides for taking apart specific laptops online. Have a search.

Does it sometimes not turn on when its cold or not been used? It should only stop working once it overheats. From cold the heatsink alone would give you some time with it.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
There are normally guides for taking apart specific laptops online. Have a search.

Does it sometimes not turn on when its cold or not been used? It should only stop working once it overheats. From cold the heatsink alone would give you some time with it.

Some laptops won't power on if they detect a fan fault usually you get a series of fault code beeps.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
My laptop, cheap £300 one. The fan stopped working which makes it crash and sometimes wont even power on (maybe more damage)

I might just bin it, haven't used it in over a year. Is it worth getting it repaired?

Get a new fan and a screwdriver - It's easy to replace.

DCi
Keep it ventilated too, if you just put it on your bed or your lap to watch stuff it'll shut off a lot. You need to prop it up a bit so the air can circulate.

Yeah if you are using it on a bed or sofa you can block the vents which won't help.

I've got an old maccies tray in the house which makes a good little surface for mine

Tbf most people would get away with buying a tablet now - depends on what you use it for though

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Depends on how you use it. I've been using air lines for nearly 15 years and never had a problem with it. Like most things, be gentle and you'll be ok ;)

Certainly the best option for cleaning out PSUs anyway. No way would you be getting me stripping one of those and getting too close to a charged capacitor.

D.

I second this, never had a problem using my air compressor. You would require a s**t load of PSI to damage a bearing, just be gentle on the trigger!

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Seems to be something more serious than dust. Opened it up and it was surprisingly clean and all the fans are working fine.
It's started to lock up after a minute of booting up. Just sticks on the desktop and I can't do anything not even ctrl shift esc.
Nothing to do with software, spyware etc as I keep it immaculate in that department.

Not sure what else to check. It has a 5 year old SSD so maybe that is failing? Doesn't explain the overheating issue though.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Okay, let us know how you get on.

Booted into safe mode. Tried to open a chrome session and it hung like this. Couldn't do anything or press any keys. The hourglass circle thingy was still spinning and I could move the mouse.

Now it's hanging on classpnp.sys

edy7yve2.jpg

bu8u2yhu.jpg

Booted into safe mode. Tried to open a chrome session and it hung like this. Couldn't do anything or press any keys. The hourglass circle thingy was still spinning and I could move the mouse.

Now it's hanging on classpnp.sys

edy7yve2.jpg

bu8u2yhu.jpg

Could be a failing hard drive. Have you installed any new software recently?

And do you have a copy of Windows 7 at hand? If you do insert this disk, click repair my computer then open a command prompt window.

Then type chkdsk /f and then sfc /scannow

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I'll give that a go when I get back from the gym. No new software installed. All the laptop is used for is to RDP to my computer so it hardly has any software on it at all.