ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop randomly restarting?

Right not sure what to make of this... Fresh install of Windows 7, Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM. Windows 7 x64.

You'll just be browsing the Internet and it will just restart for no reason. Checked error logs in windows and it just says

Critical Kernal-Power Event ID 41 which basically says nothing more than the system restarted suddenly. No s**t not helpful.

Just doing a Windows Memory test (rebooted from Windows disk as there's 4GB ram) no problems yet but it's only on pass one.

Where else could I look? Software or hardware issue do we reckon?

Cheers!

Not sure Javva what's a good optimum temperature? Seems warm but nothing out of the ordinary where could I get the readouts is there a software?

Thomas I shall try that in a minute :) when windows startup repair has finished having a mosey RAM came back clean. Seems so strange since I only installed windows about half 5 today and have only been on Google Chrome.
Scrooge I never mate I couldn't be bothered with Packard bell trying to charge to look at it lol so I sacked it off

Not sure Javva what's a good optimum temperature? Seems warm but nothing out of the ordinary where could I get the readouts is there a software?

Thomas I shall try that in a minute :) when windows startup repair has finished having a mosey RAM came back clean. Seems so strange since I only installed windows about half 5 today and have only been on Google Chrome.
@Scrooge I never mate I couldn't be bothered with Packard bell trying to charge to look at it lol so I sacked it off

Could be something like a bad sector in the hard drive etc causing it. You can also disable automatic restart on system failure which will show a blue screen if there is one. Press f8 just after the bios screen.

Doubt it's overheating as it wouldn't turn back on. Speedfan is a good utility for measuring temperatures though!

EDC39D39-8AA5-4C72-AAAC-8AB24CE06950_zpsqljipt9s.jpg

Looking good so far?

Would a reformat sort a bad sector out?

Since changing that setting windows blue screens on boot... Maybe I'm getting somewhere might re install windows in this HDD mode instead?

Edit

This mode is probably the cause of the problem after reading this. I have now set it to AHCI.

Basically AHCI is a newer way to interface with the SATA controller. This allows you to take advantage of SATA features such as Native Command Queuing (basically, you give your hard drive a bunch of commands, and let it figure out the best order to run them in to increase total throughput... without command queuing, the operating system can only send one command at a time, and the OS really has very little idea how to do this in the optimum order... this helps most when you are accessing data scattered over the drive rather than in order... if you run multiple programs that both use the disk it'll help, but it will have little effect when playing a movie off the hard drive), there are some other features that are enabled, but are more appropriate for desktops. The downside is you need updated drivers (which are apparently not on the BART cd).

Last edited:
Yes it will do, however you don't need to reformat it to swap. You can change it in the registry then set it in the bios.

No it isn't, I've installed it on various machines in IDE mode! Worth a shot though!

Sorry for the slow replies, I'm on GTA

Don't worry about it lol going well so far when I first finished installing windows and it says "Preparing Desktop for First Time Use" it restarted there thought it was odd but now it's sailed straight through I'm trying to really push it to make it restart again

Checking device manager there is an unknown device the hardware ID is something to go with ACPI which according to Wiki is Advance Configuration and Power Interface. Doesn't sound good to me.

It helps the OS control drivers and hardware power so I'm assuming it may be not doing that so well and cutting out. I have stripped a stick of ram out and left the bottom plate off also stripped the processor out and cleared a carpet out the heat sink.

The ACPI according to hardware manager has child dependencies which includes

Core 2 Duo
Thermal Sensor

So assuming that driver isn't there nothing is controlling the power (or efficiently at least) to the processor? My heads hurting

Checking device manager there is an unknown device the hardware ID is something to go with ACPI which according to Wiki is Advance Configuration and Power Interface. Doesn't sound good to me.

It helps the OS control drivers and hardware power so I'm assuming it may be not doing that so well and cutting out. I have stripped a stick of ram out and left the bottom plate off also stripped the processor out and cleared a carpet out the heat sink.

The ACPI according to hardware manager has child dependencies which includes

Core 2 Duo
Thermal Sensor

So assuming that driver isn't there nothing is controlling the power (or efficiently at least) to the processor? My heads hurting

That's probably causing it. Do you have any thermal paste spare?

Have you installed the chipset drivers

I have thermal paste at work (as its my job recycling computers lol) might try some and I can't find a driver anywhere! Not even on the manufacturer website.

RM Ultralight MKIV it's called it's an ex school laptop or university.

I have thermal paste at work (as its my job recycling computers lol) might try some and I can't find a driver anywhere! Not even on the manufacturer website.

RM Ultralight MKIV it's called it's an ex school laptop or university.

Might be worth just re applying some if you can then. Hm what bios does it have and what is shown for model in msinfo32?

Working in schools I f**king hate RM. They've stopped selling hardware now though!