ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop Suggestions?

Turbos.
My old Dell has lasted many years without fault, but it is slowing down to a crawl. I fear there are not many days left.

The easy thing to do is buy another Dell, but i've looked around and had my mind boggled at the choice there is out there. Other than Dell, a couple of Samsungs look good... but i'm not sure.

I'm not concerned with lightness or 'portability', i just want a decent performing laptop with as much memory as poss for around £600. Any suggestions?

I went for an Acer Aspire because I don't really like MBPs and found it a really decent laptop for what I need. I have the Acer Aspire 6930

Oil Burner
MBP, every windows Laptop i've ever used felt like it was made from cheese compared to the Ali body on the MBP's.

Asus do some tasty spec laptops for reasonable prices if you must buy something with a rubbish OS ;)

Turbos.
Have read about both the Acer and HP, they get good reviews, but if you look closer into the HP it gets worse features than the US model. It has a bad write up from Amazon buyers... shame as it looks cool.

Nissan 350z
Have read about both the Acer and HP, they get good reviews, but if you look closer into the HP it gets worse features than the US model. It has a bad write up from Amazon buyers... shame as it looks cool.

I dont understand people slating it compared with the US version, regardless of if its got less or more features its still a solid product that doesnt fail to deliver IMO. I bought mine through Dixons for £800. I couldnt find another laptop that offered the same hardware spec in a 15 model, the fact the Envy actually feels like a finished product and not a bunch of components thrown into a chassis is a deffinate plus :)

A red missile
I bought a poked up version of this a few weeks back, it'll piss all over a crapbook.

Glowing keyboard? how about glowing in any of 20 different colours :rasp:

Alienware is overpriced though. Garish plastic Dell with a different badge. At least apple stuff is actual quality rather than battery guzzling overheating recycled ice cream tubs

A red missile
Alienware is overpriced though. Garish plastic Dell with a different badge. At least apple stuff is actual quality rather than battery guzzling overheating recycled ice cream tubs

Ok lets spec up a 15" crapbook with an i7 620 (oh the 15" crapbook only goes to i5), 1920x1080 - (oh the 15" crapbook only goes to1680x1050) WLED screen, GTX 260M (doesn't mention what gfx card it has - wonder why), 256gb SSD, 4gb 1333Mhz ram (oh the 15" crapbook only has 1066Mhz) and see what it comes out at - hmm £2,288 that's overpriced considering how inferior it is performance wise - oh and the fact it's nearly £300 more expensive. Your keyboard glows though doesn't it? - I won't bother saying it again.

Um, you can get a Core i7 in the 15" MBP. It also mentions that its an nVidia GT330M inside it, comes with 500GB standard (admittedly not SSD but id take the double storage over an SSD drive).

If you spec both the Alienware and the MBP to as close to the same spec as you can get theres only a couple of hundred quid in it (thats selecting 500GB SATA, 512mb GT240M and 4GB RAM on the Alienware) and the build quality on the MBP alone is worth more than £200 tbh. Alienware's used to be cool when they made them with Chieftec cases in groovy colours and every man and his dog wanted to be seen with one at lan but since Dell bought them the quality of the materials they are made out of has just diminished.

As for the OP then for what your looking for I personally would just order a Dell (outlet store might be worth a look, you can get a bargain on there). I would avoid Sony like the plague as you would spend the rest of your life uninstalling all the bloatware that comes with it.

Oil Burner
Both the Alienware laptops i have used were missing half the keys, weighed even more than a MBP and were about 2 inches thick.

Owning an Apple product also makes you a generally better person :cool:

A red missile
Um, you can get a Core i7 in the 15" MBP..

My bad, yes you can indeed get an i7, which makes it even pricier, as for taking double storage over SSD, not being funny chief but have you seen the performance difference? it's massive, I was a tight arse and went 7,200rpm SATA originally, swapping to SSD made the thing go like stink.

A red missile
Both the Alienware laptops i have used were missing half the keys, weighed even more than a MBP and were about 2 inches thick.

Owning an Apple product also makes you a generally better person :cool:

Yeah if you go down the route of buying one to fit in with the perceived 'cool kids' on some crappy forum - that's not aimed at you by the way, just thought i'd make that clear :)

oh and whats wrong with 2" thick? the missus reckons thicker is better - no idea what she means, in fact come to think of it that's got me thinking - brb, off to poke the wife in the eye ;)

DB.

BMW 440i
Ok lets spec up a 15" crapbook with an i7 620 (oh the 15" crapbook only goes to i5), 1920x1080 - (oh the 15" crapbook only goes to1680x1050) WLED screen, GTX 260M (doesn't mention what gfx card it has - wonder why), 256gb SSD, 4gb 1333Mhz ram (oh the 15" crapbook only has 1066Mhz) and see what it comes out at - hmm £2,288 that's overpriced considering how inferior it is performance wise - oh and the fact it's nearly £300 more expensive. Your keyboard glows though doesn't it? - I won't bother saying it again.

The English Football team are world beaters on paper...

A red missile
So does OSX overcome the fact that it's technically inferior in every aspect at the same price level? that's a neat trick, Jobs must be some kind of magician.

Ideal for surfing the web and wanking off. LOL :D

Powerful laptops are a massive waste of cash and alwats have been. Mind you, you'll need it just to boot windows ;)