ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

@ Last a 182 towbar

whos intrested in a 182 towbar??? just found a bloke who makes them for 182s

have pics but cant upload them on to me pc. can someone do me favour if i send them the pics could they upload them from there phone to there pc and maybe send to me?

i have never needed to tell my insurance company before when i have been towing stuff but most i have ever towed with a car is a boat and a jet ski so if ya gonna tow naymore than that then i have no idea.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

need to make sure the 182 is suitable for towing.... iirc some cars have a 0 ratign for towing hence no mention of towing.

Check it out! if all is ok then go ahead :)

just better to be safe the ruining a car

Id definately check with the insurance, because the 182 IS NOT rated for towing, hence the difficulty youve had locating one!

[Edited by Ally on 24 June 2005 at 1:17pm]

Saying that, Clios with the rear spoiler are rated as not suitable for use with rear-mounted cycle racks, and I managed fine for 10 months with mine until I got roof bars. So dont always believe whats read (although a towbar is a bit of a bigger issue than a bike rack!)

i have seen basic clios with towbars but never a 172/182 but the bloke says that his is mounted as any other would be mounted ecept he has adapted it for use with the 182 exhaust system.

shouldnt see why the clio couldnt pull a caravan as this blokes pulls a massive speed boat with it and even pulls it out the water. surprised that it even managed that x

Handbook says the 172 isnt suitible for towing (for what ever reason) sure i read that and would assume the 182 is the same. That aside, remeber its not just the power of the car, you shouldnt really pull heavy(ier) objects with a small/light car. Really is best to use 4x4s or estates/large saloons unless you are towing a small trailer or jetski/motorbike.

thats the only reason i want one is so i can get me jetski in and out the water and back home. am 10 secs away from beach so i dont have to drive far.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

dont get it mate i spoke to a place that fits towbar (thats all they do) and he checked my chassis pate and said it would be illigal if you towed anything with the 182 because it is not rated for towing so you wouldnt be insured and if the police stop you they could do you for no insurance if they check the plate.

but before i asked him all this i enquired about getting one made to suit the car and that is also illigal and would void you insurance because they all have to be type tested for that car.

hope this helps

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by bsimmer3000 on 24 June 2005
i have never needed to tell my insurance company before

You need to tell them, because it is a modification to the vehicle.

Even if you had an accident unrelated to towing, they may not pay out if the towbar is not declared.

Shhh

I spoke to witter about the towbar issue a while back. I spoke to renault if they will issue a tow bar and the answer was no. I then spoke too a firm down south who made tow bars too fit, and they said noo too.

The car is not suitable for towing, and you cant just make a tow bar up in your garden shed. It has to conform to some ISO9003 stuff or whatever and be tested. Your own towbar could be used when on private land, but on the highway i think no insurance company would cover you for something thats not approved.

Simple is, the car is too light too tow anything. Ive been through this, and this is probably the only issue why i would sell the clio,

Full Fat 182

I Wouldnt say that the car is too light to tow , but there might be something else. I wish that they did make one as I too need to tow a Jetski and at the momnet have to use the wifes 206 diesel (urgh)

bsimmer3000 , where do you ski from?

i have seen meny a clio with towbars but never a 182 and the only reason it wont fit the 182 is the exhaust. theres nothing saying that a 182 cant tow the same as a normal clio tows.

chrhodes i ski on mersea island nr colchester essex if ya know it? how about you?

Porsche GT4, Eagle

Quote: Originally posted by bsimmer3000 on 24 June 2005
whos intrested in a 182 towbar??? just found a bloke who makes them for 182s

Great news can you give me all the details please?

Thanks. Sod the insurance - now I can tow my R1.

Full Fat 182

If you could post any pics and details that you have that would be great.

bsimmer3000 i Ski in reading and the solent

chris

Full Fat 182

I found this which states the law. No looking good if you want it to pass its mot in a few years

Type Approval 94/20/EC - Mechanical Couplings
The introduction of a type approval procedure for mechanical couplings is intended to harmonise standards of their construction. It should also ensure that, in concert with other whole vehicle type approval provisions, the fitment of couplings complies with the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer in terms of the most appropriate mounting points and methods of fitment to help avoid damage to the vehicle.

The measure will also contribute to the harmonisation of standards throughout the EC and assist in achieving a single market. UK and European manufacturers of such equipment will compete on level terms with regard to performance and construction requirements.

"Use of mechanical coupling devices
96B (1) This regulation applies to every light passenger vehicle first used on or after August 1st 1998 in respect of which an EC certificate of conformity has effect.
(2) No person shall use or cause or permit to be used on a road any vehicle to which this regulation applies unless any mechanical coupling device which is attached to it complies with the relevant technical and installation requirements of Annexes I, V, VI, VII of Community Directive 94/20(a) and is marked in accordance with Annex I to that Directive."

The Translation

Any light passenger vehicle registered in the UK on or after August 1st 1998 (S Registration) will require a type approved towbar and towball (when fitted).

Light Commercial Vehicles and Car Derived Vans are not covered by Type Approval. (LCVs continue to be exempt and are unlikely to be covered for the next 5 years or so).

This legislation will not be retrospective, therefore any vehicle registered before August 1st 1998 will never require a type approved towbar (e.g. R registered vehicles will never require type approved towbars).

Any vehicle requiring an approved towbar also requires an appropriately approved towball. Towball D and S values must match or exceed the towbar D and S values.

Type Approved towbars and towballs can be identified by the presence of a Type Approval label which must be visible even when the product is fitted to the vehicle. This label will have as a very minimum, the product code, a D value, an S value and a European approval number in the form e11 00-01234. These labels must not be removed or defaced as this will invalidate the towbar manufacturers warranty and would result in the towbar or towball not being identified as Type Approved.

[Edited by chrhodes on 28 June 2005 at 9:21am]

Porsche GT4, Eagle

But what are the chances of the MOT inspector knowing the 182 should not be fitted with a towbar?

Also - it can just be removed for the MOT.

sure can guzzler it just unbolts. plus your right how the hell woukld a mot tester know a clio 182 would not be allowed but a clio is. i see a clio towing a caravan the other day so why shouldnt mine be able to?

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Surely the plate inside the door, shows towing weights ;)

So any copper that pulls you over could check, likewise so could the mot tester.

wouldnt towing a trailer cause problems for the suspension if the cars not designed for towing it could affect other things. your car may have the power to pull whatever but isnt designed to.