ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Latest Evo just dropped through the door.

106 GTi
Blue 197, Williams and Trophy all on the cover for the best FWD car ever. Great looking front cover.

Just of back to bed for a ....... w... read! :clown:

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Hm, I really have an itch for one of those. I see the DC2 as the only adequate replacement for my clio.

I can see anothere 20 page thead starting again.
Personally of the Clio present (never driven any of the others) I'd say the Williams is better.

darren_rallye said:
This is the article with the 106 Rallye too?
Yep theres quite a few cars Golf Mk1 and 5 Gti, 306 and 106 Pugs, Williams Trophy, Integra Type R, Lotus, I forget the rest.

106 GTi
darren_rallye said:
Any quick summaries to post... ? :eek:

The cars that made the top 6, 205 GTi, Williams, Trophy, Intergra, Latest Golf GTi and Mini GP.

Didnt make the cut, 106 and 306 Rallyes, Corrado, Focus RS, Lotus Elan, Ford Puma, Mk 1 golf GTi, Fiat Barchetta and the 197!

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Gazcaddy, I agree. I'm a fan of my clios and in particular the Williams, but in no way are they better than the last RS Focus.

Cheers, Rob669

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Yeah, I would have thought so too. I looked earlier today for it and could only see the old edition. I don't think I'll bother with EVO again though, I just can't get my hat on, over anyone saying a clio is better than an RS Focus!
Cheers, Rob669

Rob669 said:
Gazcaddy, I agree. I'm a fan of my clios and in particular the Williams, but in no way are they better than the last RS Focus.

Cheers, Rob669

If you read the article you'll see that it's about the best driver's car, I agree with the results having owned two of the top six and driven a few of the others. The Focus RS has too many minor faults to make the cut. As has a VR6 , which is a sublime car. This article is brilliant because it completely disregards price, age and looks and concentrates solely on the quality of driving.

As for a million years... the fact that it did prove better, on the opinions of motoring journalists who don't have their ownership pride to skew their opinions or any endorsement to worry about is a bit more credit worthy than one unlearned opinion on a forum.

106 GTi
The comment on the 197 by John Simister was intresting, in the context of al the other cars, the car is not as good as it seemed at the 197's launch.

Wonder when they will be doing a UK test proper of it.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Trophy 298/525, well I hope I enjoy reading the article in EVO.

Thanks M8 and have a great evening!

Rob669

MINI JCW
Trophy 298/525 said:
If you read the article you'll see that it's about the best driver's car, I agree with the results having owned two of the top six and driven a few of the others. The Focus RS has too many minor faults to make the cut. As has a VR6 , which is a sublime car. This article is brilliant because it completely disregards price, age and looks and concentrates solely on the quality of driving.

As for a million years... the fact that it did prove better, on the opinions of motoring journalists who don't have their ownership pride to skew their opinions or any endorsement to worry about is a bit more credit worthy than one unlearned opinion on a forum.

I know what the article is about and a Focus RS is a better driver cars than a 182 Trophy. The FRS is faster, better looking, quicker in a straight line, quicker round a track and importantly quicker and more fun to drive cross country from A to B.

The magazine should be titled EVO 'sponsored by Renaultsport'. So far we have had the 182cup 2nd in evos best drives, 182 trophy 3rd in evos best drives, trophy keeps up with an M6 through the twisties from evo and now this, its getting a little tiresome now.

I remember reading a copy of an autocar magazine in 2002 (i think) it was the edition of best drivers car, the FRS came 3rd and the 172cup came 12th (I know its not the trophy, but they are pretty close)

The Renaultsport Clios are very good but lets not get carried away!

IntegraTypeR, Corolla GT
The FocusRS in that test was a mint, late, example and rumoured to have been lightly played with - this might have had some bearing on the decision to drop it from the second part of the test? You've driven all these cars to be able to comment on them I take it?

The Trophy in the feature is actually owned by Harry Metcalfe himself, so if they were biased surely it would have won?

just my 2p.

172 Exclusive... For Sale
i've noticed they do tend to love the renaults but maybe its based on the truth, the renaults are in fact that good? See i think French cars in general make better drivers car and more fun to drive, am i biased? Well we have a Porsche and a BMW in the family and i've owned Golf Gti and Peugeot 106 Rallye S2. i find German cars are more refined and better engineered, Jap cars lack involvement bar a certain 2 rally cars but French cars are ...

To be honest though the journo's interpretation of what a drivers car constitutes may differ from my interpretation, i don't like the mini cooper S at all having driven it, i'd rather have Corrado G60 any day certainly more driver focussed then a bmw cooper s :p

Opinion are opinions i suppose, make damn fine reads...

182... again!
Mine arrived today too....looking forward to a good read on holiday!! :D Shall make me miss the 182 even more:(

R

rich[182]

LOL at yet another EVO thread, if Evo said that all Clio RS's were overated we'd all be up in arms, so when Evo time and time again print positive articles they get slagged for being up Renaultsport's arse with a long tongue, they can't win

106 GTi
Well if Renault where paying them to write nice stuff it would have been the 197 that would have won surely?

MINI JCW
Rich said:
Well if Renault where paying them to write nice stuff it would have been the 197 that would have won surely?

Good point, maybe Im being harsh on Evo. I have to admit though I do prefer autocar to Evo but thats probably becuase they concentrate on the whole package where Evo tends to concentrate on the driving.

Nissan 350Z
People just cant seem to accept the clio is a fun car and deserves to be mentioned.

All these people who **** it off and say "no way is the clio better cos whatever car is faster", please find me a negative review of the Clio, because i am yet to see one.

Focus RS better? Perhaps. However, it was also something in the region of twice the price as well. Is it twice as much fun to drive? I seriously doubt it somehow.

The Clio gets the acclaim it does because it is one of the most fun cars (hot hatch anyway) to drive almost irrespective of price. It just makes me laugh how some peeps **** off evo for praising a car that those very people own. Would you rather they slagged it off? Would that make you feel better?

Incidentally, I'm also a member of another car forum, and this particular forum is not really associated with any particular car, and the Clio receive LOTS of praise on that forum. Are they all wrong too?

MINI JCW
pbirkett said:
Focus RS better? Perhaps. However, it was also something in the region of twice the price as well. Is it twice as much fun to drive? I seriously doubt it somehow.

Thats the point though, the article is about best drivers cars and has nothing to do with price. The FRS is better than the Clio Trophy so why isnt it above it in the list. No ones doubting that the 182 is a good fun car to drive, I own one and love it to bits.

The 182 is good but I dont think its as good as Evo make out