ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

leather seats and insurance

Clio 172

My clio 16v has leather seats (clio standard optional leather from new)

Anyway my insurance company would want alot to add them on the policy and I dont know what to do. I dont think I have to say as well they were standard on the car from new.

What do you people think?

this question has come up before, i have leather in my valver too, basically if the seats were stolen from it you would only get a normal interior.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Insurers usually ask if theres any modifications OR optional equipment fitted to the car, some will look very hard for any reason not to pay out. IMO if youre unsure whether to declare something and its something you cant take off the car with great ease/speed then youre best to declare it.

I never declared mine, as they were a factory option, not a modification.
If i do declare them i guess they would replace the seats with the same if they got nicked.

what my insurance company said to me about things like that is. if its not as stated on your insurance then your insurance will be invalid. they said that if anything is not as factory standard for that model then insurance is invalid. but they are ok if ya call them to let them know the changes. they wont insure the changes but it will make your insurance valid. the bloke i spoke to said that they will find every little excuse not to pay out as some claims can go into the 100,000s.

why would they want to give out that sort of money when they could send someone to your car whos on £80 a day and check over to make sure everything is correct as stated on your insurance.

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 01 March 2005

this question has come up before, i have leather in my valver too, basically if the seats were stolen from it you would only get a normal interior.

yeh but if the leather makes your car more desirable to steal then it could/will increase your premium, it all depends on your insurance company but it is upto you to tell them and your insurance could be void if you dont

clio sport mk1 golf

Ive got 172 seats in my clio. they asked of they were leather. I said no they are not. i dodnt lie they aint leather they are man made suede. They didnt understand me. So my policy stayed the same.

lol, they are half leather (real cow hide) , and half alcantera (man made), so in effect you lied to your insurance

unless you mean 172 cup seats

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 02 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 01 March 2005

yeh but if the leather makes your car more desirable to steal then it could/will increase your premium, it all depends on your insurance company but it is upto you to tell them and your insurance could be void if you dont
fair enough, but as far as im concerned its a standard car (how am i supposed to know it was an option about 10 years ago ?)

it doesnt really bother me as im selling it soon.