ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LED Dash Conversion - What Solder Tip/Iron

Bumder With A Buffer
You dont need resistors. I thought I put some in mine but I didnt. Opened up all mine to check just now :)

Coiley'd Clio PH2
So are the through hole leds 12v?

Who woulda thought i coul get so confused by something so simple!

Bumder With A Buffer
Nope the ones I linked to on the other thread will be fine as there is already a small resistor inside the switches!.. I thouhgt I had put my own in but I was mistaken!

I put one of the LEDS in today just to try il go take a piccy now....

Bumder With A Buffer
Here's the passenger side one with one of the LED's that I linked to... You should be able to see that is somewhat brighter (hence its bluriness!) than my other ones as they are different types.

Passenger

07022009415.jpg

Driver/Passenger side

07022009414.jpg

Oh and this is what my dash looks like... pretty damn cool I think :)

07022009417.jpg

07022009416.jpg

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Oh, i see. So with that information, is this exaclty what i need to convert my whole dash:

Speedo: PLCC-2 High brightness surface mount LEDs
Heater Controls: 3mm standard LEDs (No Resistor Needed?)
Central Locking, Rear Heater: 3mm standard LEDs (Resistor Needed?)
Window Switches: 3mm standard LEDs (No Resistor Needed Either?)
Headlight Adjustment: 3mm standard LEDs (No Resistor Needed Either?)

Also, this may be related in some way, i mounted an LED where the cup holder recess is to light up that area and i have gone through about 6 LED's now, to get the power i piggybacked off of the wire for the glovebox light.
Could it be dying on me because i did not use a reistor?

Just a thought, could i use something like this for the clock:
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/strip-channel-module-lumen-p-1558.html

Nick

Bumder With A Buffer
Oh, i see. So with that information, is this exaclty what i need to convert my whole dash:

Speedo: PLCC-2 High brightness surface mount LEDs
Heater Controls: 3mm standard LEDs (No Resistor Needed?)
Central Locking, Rear Heater: 3mm standard LEDs (Resistor Needed?)
Window Switches: 3mm standard LEDs (No Resistor Needed Either?)
Headlight Adjustment: 3mm standard LEDs (No Resistor Needed Either?)

Also, this may be related in some way, i mounted an LED where the cup holder recess is to light up that area and i have gone through about 6 LED's now, to get the power i piggybacked off of the wire for the glovebox light.
Could it be dying on me because i did not use a reistor?

Just a thought, could i use something like this for the clock:
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/strip-channel-module-lumen-p-1558.html

Nick

Yep that shopping list sounds fine...the only thing im not 100% sure on is the headlight adjustment one as I didnt have a light there (I had one on my ESP button but didnt touch the headlight one)

Yes most definately the reason yours could be blowing is that they are not rated to 12V (possibly 5-6V max maybe) So you are burning them out. One of those resistors you linked would be fine to stop that happening. Just put it "inline" with the 12V going to that LED.

Bumder With A Buffer
Nice one.
your speedo looks awesome!
Can i see the bulbs in the clock though?

Do you mean you can see them through the LCD screen on the clock?? If so yeah I was experimenting with something and forgot to put the filter back in!! :eek:

Realised after id put everything back together (dash etc!) Whoops! Dash is coming off again next week or so anyway so il fix that then :)

Polo + Micra
so you left the blue led's behind the trip computer??

yours does look more white than mine used to:approve:

Monaco 172
does anyone have a picture of what their clock looks like??

i tried there but i just got the spots form LEDs...

or did you use SMDs?

cheers

Monaco 172
15022009312.jpg

my effort so far....why are the first ones in each set not lighting?

i also know its a mess, not the final version

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
pete just out of interest why are you doing them on a new board? can you not just solder them onto the exisiting board? (or am i being stupid and this is actually the dash circuit board)?

Polo + Micra
if your trying to make a new board for the clock back light i'd try and go for wide angled 5mm leds

this would make building pcb easier as it is a pig to solder smt leds on to a strip board

something like this should work