ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Left foot braking for track work...

So over the last few weeks I've been putting this into practice, first in the i3 as its easier being an auto then once confident enough took it to the derv daily, really getting the hang of it now coupled with heal & toeing but there’s only so much you can push it on the road without it being dangerous. Not really tried as of yet in the Clio but it should (in theory) be easier than in the Mondeo due to the pedal lay out being closer together as in the Mondeo your left foot is travelling further to the brake pedal making it awkward.

I’m finding it really balances the car on entry, mid corner and exit, whereas with RFB you’d just understeer then have to wait to get it back in line, now though I can go in hot with the accelerator still on and braking at the same time giving no understeer and much better traction over the front axle.

Got Aintree next Saturday so going to take the first few sessions to build it up and get used to it in a real beneficial environment cause as above its really is too dangerous to go full attack on the road.

Anyone got any other tips to make me smoother and safer on track with LFB?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I've done it on the road, it's easy in the Clio.

I'm guessing it helps on track when you're already in the same gear for the next corner or are you on about braking mid corner to reduce understeer?

I've done it on the road, it's easy in the Clio.

I'm guessing it helps on track when you're already in the same gear for the next corner or are you on about braking mid corner to reduce understeer?
Yeah mate in the gear you're wanting to take the corner in. Becomes more difficult when having to change gear heal and toeing and trail braking into a corner as you've done the majority of the braking on entry with the right foot, suppose if its a long sweeper you would switch feet mid corner to gain extra control if its starts to understeer.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yeah mate in the gear you're wanting to take the corner in. Becomes more difficult when having to change gear heal and toeing and trail braking into a corner as you've done the majority of the braking on entry with the right foot, suppose if its a long sweeper you would switch feet mid corner to gain extra control if its starts to understeer.

Yeah haha i can imagine braking with your right foot, changing down and then switching to your left foot being a nightmare. 😂

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Used to use it in the R26, meant you could get the diff working earlier and really slingshot out of corners.
It's a bit like heel toe, practice practice practice!

Just been out in the Clio and gave LFB a go and it doesn't half aid in cornering, even on cold r888s the grip and balance of the car is much improved. Now to put it into pratice next week...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
By default on track I brake with my left foot if no down shift is required and I try to cover the brake with my left foot through a corner regardless, a gentle brush mid turn can help get the nose in or settle it down if it's all gone a bit wayward.

It also makes trail braking deep into the corner easier and more fluid as the brake to throttle transition is much smoother without a pause in between.

Am I quicker without or without it? I've no idea...but it just feels right to me now.