ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Left Pull

Willy2

OK folks for the duration of owning my valver it pulls to the left, not major but it does. So changed the front suspension(OE) and it still pulls a bit.

Obviously the tracking was done, so now I wanted to ask if that if the left hand side mounted is F**KED could this cause a pull?

When i got the susp sorted I got all new mounts/bearings. Any constructive input welcomed! This happens in all conditions!

your not gonna like this one m8............ but some cars pull to one side if they have been in a med/heavy smack !! you sure yours has never been crunched ??

also brakes can cause it......if one side is rubbing !!

jeez the list goes on......

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

The tilt of the road maybe?

I know it sounds stupid but thought mine did it untill tried heavy breaking on a VERY flat surface & it was fine, just that we drive a lot of the time on a left sloping road IMO. I can tell the difference with 2 passengers on the left side too!

Sounds like youve got a castor angle problem. A similar thing happened to my Fiesta when I hit a kerb during a swerve manoeuvre. Although I have had the wishbone replaced since with new bushes it still pulls gently to the left.
Castor is designed in to a car from new, and is never adjusted unless you are racing or like living dangerously on the motorway! Its the angle from the vertical, of a line drawn between the lower balljoint (wishbone to hub) and the top suspension mount if viewed from the side of the car. The reason it probably pulls is because one side is more vertical (i.e. smaller angle) than the other. Castor is partially responsible for self-centring (just like a shopping trolley wheel) and thus your car is probably not centring to the middle.

It could just be camber differences causing camber steer but this is pretty unlikely since you have fixed length wishbones and it did it before and after you had everything replaced.

Might be worth getting a professional alignment check done for these things (like a proper race garage would).

Steve

Willy2

i think the car has had a bit of a smack but nothing major as i checked the car thoroughly, looks like cheap tyres on the left side for me, so know one thinks its the left side engine mount..........................hmm will get it checked out proper as it gets on my last nerve, funny though on braking it does not pull at all.;)

Sounds like the road camber to me.....

Best way to find out is do a tonne down a flat bit of road(motorway) and let go of the steering wheel. Then you will know if the tracking is out!

Or you could taking it to racing green. They set up handling for TVRs and have 1 in 3 of the only electronic jig setup systems in the country. For £120 they will balance your car perfectly, from the tyres, wheels, suspension, etc. Well worth it if your that worried.

Personally im happy fighting the camber!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

So if it pulls to the left on the motorway when u let go of the wheel it is only your tacking at fault?

Hav u had the problem resolved yet Rajk as mine has started to do it noticably now? Thanx.

ive got a similar problem, pulling to the left.

Only started happening after i changed the offside wheel onto the nearside. I done this cos where i stay there are loads of roundabouts and i had much more tyre wear on the nearside, so i changed them over so they would last me a wee bit longer. The thing is, as soon as i drove out my street i felt the car wasnt right, it pulled slightly to the left.

Ive heard it could be uneven tyre wear but it never happened when the wheels were the other way about (i.e it never pulled to the right before :confused: )

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated...

Quote: Originally posted by Fatherted on 15 April 2003

your not gonna like this one m8............ but some cars pull to one side if they have been in a med/heavy smack !! you sure yours has never been crunched ??

also brakes can cause it......if one side is rubbing !!

jeez the list goes on......

p.s. what do you mean by one side of the brakes rubbing? how would that happen?

cheers.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Left pulling more so after changing my wheels from 185/55 tyres to 195/50 on different wheels; why has the pull to the left increased big time?

BenR? Cheers.

get the tracking done, pref lazer alignment. Then the printout will tell you the standing geometry.

There are a million things it could be.

Simple tracking, bent/misalighned subframe, binding caliper, bent wishbone, worn bushes, worn tyres.........loads of stuff.

and you cant really say what it is unless your there, cant really diagnise from the other side of a screen.

Soz, best get teh tracking done.

Quote: Originally posted by spinthedecks on 17 May 2003

ive got a similar problem, pulling to the left.

Only started happening after i changed the offside wheel onto the nearside.

are your tyres directional - ie only fit one way? cold be the problem

Willy2

when i put the willy wheels on it wasnt so bad, but there are loads of dodgey places round here that claim to track the car and they dont or thgey make up silly excuses, i wont even dare go to kwik fit, fecking cowboys!