ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Less MPG using V-Power?

Clio 172 RS2
I never fully top it off when filling...

But like 186 Miles... driving @ 86 Mph on the highway.

With Vpower!

Nothing at the mo :(
well.. i used a tank of teso 99 the other day.. and ever since then it has ran like s**t!!

nearly on red light now.. and gonna fill it up with eitrher ultimate or vpower... not decided yet

What does everyone prefer? ultimate or vpower?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Yep! Agree. V power is over rated. I get about 10-15miles more from sainsbury fuel.

Same on Vee & 172.

200 Gordini
Ive never took note of what im getting to the tank.

I always reset the trip computer but habit means i dont check when ive refilled... i'll just reset again.. Im always checking mpg though.

I normally put £20 in at a time now too

200 Gordini
Right,

I took a trip over to jamsport today so i reset my trip computer at the shop at the top of my street.

The trip over on bp normal unleaded averaged at 39mpg, the tank was then nearly empty.

I put £10 of bp ultimate for the journey home and averaged 46mpg, starting from jamsport and finishing at the top of my road

My car likes bp ultimate then, i'll try v power on my next motorway journey.

Can someone do the maths to show if im saving anything using ultimate which is 10/11p more than normal petrol.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Remember you might have been going into the wind or more uphill on the way! As others have said it takes a few tanks full to notice the difference (if there is any lol).

alien green rs133
LPG half the price so not bothered about 1-2 mpg less, and i run bp ultimate till she is warm so that the ron rating stays similar (LPG is 108 :D)

Nothing at the mo :(
Well i have just got my tank down to the red light.. used a tank of tesco super and it was running like s**t so i have used itall lol

Dunno if i should fill it with Vpower or ultimate tomorrow.... ultimate is 1p more over vpower where i live
Whatcha think?

alien green rs133
Well i have just got my tank down to the red light.. used a tank of tesco super and it was running like s**t so i have used itall lol

Dunno if i should fill it with Vpower or ultimate tomorrow.... ultimate is 1p more over vpower where i live
Whatcha think?
1p:S ultimate it is then you gonna argue over a maximum of 40p???

corsa ecoflex
over the last 3 times..ive filled the tank full of v power im only getting just over 300miles and my mpg is 29-30 and i drive like miss daisy

2016 Audi RS3
I primarily use vpower and average around 40mpg, which is a mix of about 60/40 countryside/city driving - I don't take it easy either, don't drive like a loon but tend to open it up when the conditions allow.

BLACK GOLD 182
isnt it cos v-power is higher octane which means iif i remeber from science that it burns better giving better performance but it goes quicker than a fuel with less octane.....correct me if i am wrong

Ph1
V-power adds 20bhp tbh

Add 5 bhp and your right. Tested on a Volvo T5 though obviously not on a Clio lol

Not sure what the big deal is. It recommends what grade of fuel to use inside the filler cap.
They dont tell you things like that for a laugh. There must be a proven reason

Monaco Ph2 172
The general consensus is v power is a big lie then?

No! :p

I have run my 172 on V-Power for over 10000 miles at a time with MPG of around 38mpg - and that is with a mixture of steady/enthusiastic and town/motorway driving.

I used to run Tesco 99 for a while before that, but found it inconsistent between batches. Sometimes I'd get good performance/MPG and sometimes not. It used to vary a lot for some reason. With Shell V-Power, I always get the same results, no matter which garage I use.

The 97RON (and 98RON that was about for a while), used to give me around 34 MPG, so V-power gives me an extra 4mpg. Not sure about 95RON as I haven't used it in my cars for over 10 years. It's always worth that extra little bit of cash for the increased performance IMO.

Anyway, Shell V-Power isn't that much more expensive and is the same per litre as Tesco 99 around here. BP and Total 97RON are bizarrely a lot more expensive, and never really gave the same performance increases that the 99 stuff does.