ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lesson Learned: If a driver is being aggressive behind you, just move over

172 Cup
It will save you a lot of trouble!

This happened recently.. I was making my way home from work in heavy traffic on the motorway when someone pulled behind me in the RH-most lane, flashing constantly and very close to my bumper. I was in that lane for a reason and I can't stand that kind of behaviour, so flicked my mirror to anti-dazzle and kept going past the car to my left. When the traffic ahead slowed, he darted to my left and started hurling things at my car out his window. He was a kid, probably around 18, driving some beaten up silver Focus, so I figured OK F this and found a space to move over once his lane slowed down too. He then came alongside me on the right, again shouting & swearing, so I wind my window down to "politely" ask him what he thinks he's doing.. at which point he side-swipes into the driver's door and speeds off - cutting all 4 lanes of traffic to the hard shoulder and driving >100mph until he's out of view.

This is how my car looks now:

31389036081_c4dd00d5c4_b.jpg

So, lesson learned: as much as there are some proper c***s on the road at times, if someone is behaving aggressively around you, just get out their way and let karma catch up with them another time. I was lucky to get away with a dented door, tbh.

What a b*****d! If you're lucky it might have been picked up by a highways agency camera, it's worth pursuing as at the least they may get his reg number.

Horrendous, using a car as a weapon. I don't understand why people get so angry on the roads! Sorry to see you're car has come off like that, at least you're okay.

I remember driving a works van from London back to base in Sheffield, was in a 50mph average speed through a roadworks zone and down to one lane about 11pm on a monday night, sat there doing 50mph minding my own, some guy in a Bulgarian plated E39 BMW series behind me starts flashing going nuts, when it opened back up to 3 lanes I moved over and as he drives past on he's on his horn sticking fingers up at me giving it large then speeds off doing at least a tonne, while it's still a 50mph average speed zone. Bizzare.

Listerine & Poledo
Your mistake was to acknowledge their existence. Sometimes, if you ignore them, they go away, or into the armco.

Only time I've been involved in similar I was doing [a speed] on more lincolnshire B-roads, when some bloke in his Rep.spec. BMW was all over the back of my 172. I was driving just for driving at the time and he was clearly upset that his business lease tank couldn't get past a french heap that sat at a steady [speed], but took no time getting to it.

So with the only clear bit of straight, BMW man went past....

...and pulled over 3 blind corners up the road, blocking both lanes and standing in the road looking like a fathead agro spacker.

What he didn't account for was that I didn't mind going off-road, stopping, then spinning mud all over him and his car, before heading off into the sunset.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
f**k me mate thats crazy. My drivers door is being picked up today ive gotanother coming early in the new year mate if that helps.

RacingBlue + IceBurg
Asshole. Used to get a lot of assholes on the m4 wales side. Especially around Cardiff area. Had all sorts thrown at me by angry drivers trying to get home 5 minutes quicker.
One guy dangerously cut me up. I flashed my lights, he slammed his brakes on. Changed lane and he got along side me, throwing fast food wrappers and bottles at me and shouting to me to get off at the next junction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow if what you're saying is the 'full' story then this guy needs locking up ASAP. Sure you didn't brake test him or goad him in anyway? As the guys actions are of a very, very angry man, one who has real psychological issues if unprovoked as you say.

172 Cup
What a b*****d! If you're lucky it might have been picked up by a highways agency camera, it's worth pursuing as at the least they may get his reg number.

Yeah, somebody else suggested this! I'm going to look in to it and see if I can request the footage or something.. he shouldn't be hard to spot! I won't go through insurance, mind, but it'd be nice to hand over to the Police so they can pay him a visit.

I would of chased him personally. have you reported it?

I did initially follow him, but he was driving so dangerously that I thought better of it. Plus I didn't know what damage he'd done at that point and there was a strong hot tyre smell.

f**k me mate thats crazy. My drivers door is being picked up today ive gotanother coming early in the new year mate if that helps.

Thanks Dave, I'll send you a PM with dibs on a door!

172 Cup
Wow if what you're saying is the 'full' story then this guy needs locking up ASAP. Sure you didn't brake test him or goad him in anyway? As the guys actions are of a very, very angry man, one who has real psychological issues if unprovoked as you say.

Nah, I don't brake-test people.. it's stupid and dangerous. I was in front of him for a minute or two, and apparently that was enough!

ETA: My "politely asking him what he was doing" = "WTF ARE YOU PLAYING AT?"

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
should of opened the wallet and showed your tesco club card... CAN YOU PULL OVER PLEASE!!! seen someone doing this with someone on the phone - they quickly dropped there phone. hilarious !

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like you've not doing anything unreasonable there tbh. I probably wouldn't have bothered to give him verbal but the guy must be unstable to react like that anyway.

Live and learn mate. It's only a Cup and winter's here anyway so if it wasn't the Focus it'd have been the ice :tongueout:
Good to see the Cup + winter jokes are still going :smile:

Iceberg PH1 172
Don't suppose you got his reg did you.?
Or part of it.?
Id be informing the police tbh..

Either way, that's truly disgusting behaviour from the focus driver. Needs taking off the roads. It ain't bloody bumper cars...

172 Cup
I'm sorry to sound all CS keyboard warrior but he wouldn't have got away with that if it were me.

This was exactly my thought just as it happened, but leathering some kid at the side of the motorway just wasn't worth putting myself and a whole road full of other drivers at risk, and in hindsight I'm glad I didn't chase him down.

As stated learn from this, but make sure you contact the police as there maybe footage, like this idiot below, bet he didn't realise he was on camera...

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I would of chased him personally. have you reported it?
I would have done completely the opposite and done all I could to extricate myself from what could have been a life-threatening situation. He could have been off his face on a cocktail of who knows what, and had a knife or a gun, or a shovel.

For me being able to see my young family grow up is worth infinitely more to me than damage to my pride and joy.

There are too many díckheads on the roads these days and too many people in a hurry, I just let them get on with it.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
I would have done completely the opposite and done all I could to extricate myself from what could have been a life-threatening situation. He could have been off his face on a cocktail of who knows what, and had a knife or a gun, or a shovel.

For me being able to see my young family grow up is worth infinitely more to me than damage to my pride and joy.

There are too many díckheads on the roads these days and too many people in a hurry, I just let them get on with it.
It would of been to get details, nothing other than that.
when it comes to would of taken a few minutes in the clio to catch him remember the reg and pull over to a save spot.

from the way it sounds the guy was wanting to run from the situation so unlikely anything else happening.