ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Life in these Toyo R888s?

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Bought a set of alloys with some used R888s, two are flogged and the other two have reasonable tread to them (2.5-5mm)

I'm going to repaint the rims and purchase road tyres. I want to ask those with experience with these tyres if there is any life left in this set for somebody?

(16" 205/45)

PXL_20201024_164220970.jpg
PXL_20201024_164234921.jpg
PXL_20201024_164239007.jpg
PXL_20201024_164243917.jpg
PXL_20201024_164247787.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Bin fodder. That design has been out of production for ages, id bet 8-10 years old minimum, so well past their best.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Thank you for the feedback everyone, seems like these will be going straight in the bin 🚮

To be fair the first one seems alright. No sign of any hot graining so doesn’t appear to have been used properly on track much, but also no cold graining so it hasn’t been spanked from cold on track either. Wear looks like camber so appears to have been run at correct pressures. But it’s the sort of thing you’ll have in your garage for a year waiting for someone who is after one spare NLA tyre in an uncommon size.

The others have got a lot of cracks.

A sheet of ice with water poured on top, on the moon, has more grip than a T1R.

When you zoom in 3 & 4 have a ton more cracks than #1 though which makes me question whether they are actually the same age.

Is #4 cracked all the way around the circumference? Difficult to tell from the angle, but #4 looks to be flat spotted in the area of the cracks. Never seen it before (admittedly I’ve seen hundreds of knackered tyres but not 6 year old ones) but wondering if the two are mutually inclusive.

I really like tyres.