ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lighter socket power draw?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I get the basics of electrics, just wondering if anyone happened to know how many amps you could run on the wire that powers the lighter socket?

Thinking of getting my wire cutters out and hard wiring a few things (iphone charger, incar camera and parking sensors).

Well the iPhone will draw probably 2A, incar camera wouldn't be much say 500mA, as for parking sensors no clue. I'd imagine you'd be on the limit pretty quickly.

If you're installing parking sensors, would it not make sense to just feed a new cable from the battery all the way back, or use a different source? Seems a bit of a bizzare place to get the power from imo, as it's in the center of the car!

Clio RS 172 2002
Check your fuse box and see what amperage that circuit has. Most likely it's 10 Amps which is 120 watts. Add up your expected load and see if it's less. You don't want to overload the circuit.

Parking sensors usually run off the reverse light circuit so they only get power when reversing.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you're installing parking sensors, would it not make sense to just feed a new cable from the battery all the way back, or use a different source? Seems a bit of a bizzare place to get the power from imo, as it's in the center of the car!

It's because they have a switch to turn it off, but I agree elsewhere makes more sense.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Check your fuse box and see what amperage that circuit has. Most likely it's 10 Amps which is 120 watts. Add up your expected load and see if it's less. You don't want to overload the circuit.

Parking sensors usually run off the reverse light circuit so they only get power when reversing.

Thanks dude, do you know where there is a main ignition circuit that's got easy access in the car rather than potentially overloading the lighter socket?

Polo + Micra
LOL 2A for an iphone i didn't realise they are fully charged after 15 mins.;)

your best best is to get some 6mm2 cable and run it from the battery and stick a 20A fuse on it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

your best best is to get some 6mm2 cable and run it from the battery and stick a 20A fuse on it.

Seems like the best bet.

So as a follow on question, does such a thing as a powered switch exist?

Basically I want to draw from the power but only when the ignition is on.

So either a suitable power source if anyone knows that?

Or a feed from the battery with a fuse, and via a switch that is connected to the lighter socket power (so when there's power to that, the circuit is completed and the battery powers all my electronics). What would I search for on ebay for such a thing?

2A for an iphone...

you sure about that ;-)

They are up to 2.1A at 5v, yes.

What that translates to when the 12v is stepped down to 5v I don't know.

And actually, charging at 2A would take an hour to charge, it's a 2000mAh battery on the 5.

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
12v relay is what you want. It's a switch activated by energising a coil; use your lighter to switch it.

It's be a lot easier to use the reverse lights to switch the coil though and take a fused feed from the battery.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
They are up to 2.1A at 5v, yes.

What that translates to when the 12v is stepped down to 5v I don't know.

And actually, charging at 2A would take an hour to charge, it's a 2000mAh battery on the 5.

probably 5v 500ma once stepped down

were only messing ;)

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
Don't leave the 4th wire disconnected. For example if youre going to trigger from the lighter you go from your lighter 12v to pin 85 and then earth 86. You then want to use pins 30 and 87 inline with your power feed to the electronics.