ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Little puzzle for petrol heads

A race car goes around a one mile long oval circuit.

It averages 30mph for the first lap

What speed does it have to do the second lap in to average 60mph FOR BOTH LAPS?

One for you captain.....lol

Come on lets see whos clever - oh and its not the obviuos answer of......?

Let mes know when yousa wan the answer.....

math is not my strong point lol..

however, if the total distance is 2 miles (2 laps of 1 mile each) we need a total time of 120 seconds for the 2 laps (2 mins) to average 60 mph (1 mile in 60 secs)

as the first lap has taken 2 mins... we cant do it.. all our alloted time has been used up... ie - it took 120 secs for the first lap.. so no time left.

Joe..

All wrong - thing about time not distance it takes to each lap (NOTE THE WORD AVERAGE) were not taking into account the time it takes to accelerate from 30mph to ? Its the average for both laps is 60mph!

Think how long it takes to average 30mph for 1 lap then how long it would take to average 60mph for 2 laps........then try again

You do the first lap in 2mins (1/30=0.0333hrs = 2mins)

To do 2 miles at 60mph youll need to do it in 2 mins, but 2 mins is already up.

Stu.

90 mph is wrong. So is 72 mph. Or any other answer.....

----

To average 60 mph (1 mile/min.), you must drive two laps (2 miles) in 2 minutes.

Lap 1 at 30 mph (2 mins/mile) takes you two minutes. Therefore, to average 60 Mph, you must finish the second lap in 0 minutes.

(So you cant do it unless you travel at infinite speed.)

[aside, for information only]

If we drive 90mph in the second lap, 90mph = 1.5 miles per minute. So itll take 40 seconds to do the lap.

You would have taken a total of 2 minutes, 40 seconds to do both laps.

2:40 = 160 seconds. Divide by 2 and thats 80 seconds per lap.

Therefore:

One mile in 80 seconds = ave. speed (over both laps) of 45 MPH. (not 60mph)

[/side, for information only]

I seem to remember from maths there are about three different types of average.. mean, modal and something else. So Im right :D

IDST times infinity.

Sorry Captain - u were actually right - oops - I posted me reply before urs had come up!!! soz and weell done

iTS SOMETHIMG LIKE 210 MPH

YOU HAVENT GOT A CERTAIN TIME TO DO IT! IF YOU DID THE FIRST LAP AT 30 MPH THEN THE SECOND LAP AT 2000MPH THE THE AVERAGE WOULD BE GREATER THAN 60 !!! THINK ABOUT IT

DONE IT!!

YOU WOULD HAVE TO DO THE SECOND LAP AT 7,500,000MPH THAT IS DOING THE SECOND LAP IN 0.00048 SECONDS. i KNEW IT WAS POSSIBLE, JUST HAD TO WORK IT OUT!!