ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Locking and unlocking! Ghost Car!

Clio 1.6 16V
Hi folks. I am new to the forum and I need some advice!!!

I have a 2003 Clio 1.6 16V - had it for almost 3 years. When I first got it, a couple of times the car locked/unlocked whilst I was driving. I put it inot Renault as it was under warrenty but they said they couldnt find the problem! They claim it is unheard of.
So anyway, over the 2 years following, the problem got worse. Was always tempramental but very frustrating! It only did it while I was driving at first, now it is so bad it does it when just sitting parked.
I put my car in to another garage and paid £300 to get central locking unit replaced. Got car back - still doing it!!!!
now it pretty much locks/unlocks the whole time I am driving and every now and then get a BEEP BEEP sound from dash too.

Anyone heard of this??? Or am I the only unlucky one!

Thanks!
Lynz

Clio 1.6 16V
It's not. I have a new switch ordered to give THAT a try. The button flashes red on and off as it should when the doors lock and unlock. The button to lock doors manually now doesnt work at all.

Oh and forgot to mention, when I hold down the button. the locking/unlocking stops and only does it the odd time!

Clio 1.6 16V
Ok here is when my blonde girl head kicks in .. what is UCH? :)

Is that not the part I got replaced and re-programmed that cost £300 but wasn't the problem?!

Clio 172 CUP
My old clio 16valver had a similar problem. It turned out to be the door switch not working right... it worked sometimes, but when it didn't the central locking went mad! worth a look....

BMW E46 330i Touring
The UCH is the component that controls all the separate electrical parts in the car, like indicators, wipers, windows, locking... seems to be more and more common that these are failing as the cars get older.

You're looking at £300 for a replacement. Mine's getting done in a couple weeks. :(

Audi S1
i swear this is a known issue, my saxo used to do it... you lock the car and it bounces back... i always check my doors before i walk away now... my clio does it

Clio 1.6 16V
The UCH IS what I got replaced ... so not that :-S

The car only used to do the locking and unlocking while I was driving and it has always been random but now does it most of time and also does it while parked - seems to be worse in rain!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Ah right, sorry mate.

EDIT: Just read your posts... the UCH isn't just the central locking unit. Different parts. What the garage actually charge you £300 for fixing? They should have diagnosed the fault before going ahead and replacing the part as, apparently, a faulty UCH will show up when diagnosed...

Something as simple as dodgy solenoids?

Clio 1.6 16V
I was calling it central locking unit ....

Renault advised the garage to replace this part and it was £300 but fortunately I didn't get charged labour as I know garage owner. I may get a refund though as that was not the fault but not sure ...

Still no word from garage on how they are getting on, and I don't like to pester him as he is family!!

BMW E46 330i Touring
I would possibly seek a refund, as cheeky as it may be, because they've replaced a part which didn't need replacing. If it's a £10 wiper then I can live with it, but £300+?