ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Locking wheel nuts PH1 issue

120d M Sport
Hi,

I'm a bit stuck with this at the moment. I've discovered that the locking wheel nut key for my ph1 172 is completely rotten and rounded off, meaning I can't get the locking nuts off.

On my car I have what I believe to be the original set which are round bolts, with 4 circular holes in. Having rang around a few Renault garages, it seems they are (infuriatingly!!) no longer able to get hold of the key for this style.

I've got an illegal tyre on the front so it's quite urgent that I get these off.

What can be done? I've heard of tyre centres whacking a smaller size socket over some types of locking wheel nuts but I can't see that working on these because as I say, they are rounded and not a conventional hex shape.

Help would be appreciated!

Alex

WRX
Had similar yesterday, couldn't get the right angle with a brace as it just kept slipping, two minutes at Fred's and my nuts were out.:D

phase 1 flamer 172
i managed to modify the end of a socket with an angle grinder to fit my locking nut good enough to allow removal when i lost my key.

120d M Sport
Whack a slightl undersized socket on them and buy a new set of lock nuts

Will that work though when the nuts are round rather than hex shaped? And will I need to waste four sockets to do this?

Had similar yesterday, couldn't get the right angle with a brace as it just kept slipping, two minutes at Fred's and my nuts were out.:D

Dirty boy. Oh you mean wheel nuts? What did the boy Fred do then?

phase 1 flamer 172
As per my earlier post
Picture005.gif

WRX
My key was just slipping on the nut as I couldn't get a decent horizontal angle with my brace. I don't know if mine is the same style key as yours though as mine is like a squiggly jigsaw piece for want of a better expression. Both the nut and key were worn/shredded. I'd phone him and see if he can help.

120d M Sport
My key was just slipping on the nut as I couldn't get a decent horizontal angle with my brace. I don't know if mine is the same style key as yours though as mine is like a squiggly jigsaw piece for want of a better expression. Both the nut and key were worn/shredded. I'd phone him and see if he can help.

That was exactly the same issue with my nut key. It was rusted to f**k too and just rounded off when I tried to turn it with my breaker bar.

105e, my locking nut didn't look like that though. Took it to national tyres and the lad there said it looked like ones fitted to Pug/Cit rather than the usual Renault ones.

In the end he got a bigger socket over the old nut key(it has access for two different socket sizes) which I hadn't thought to try myself, got them off and I fitted a new shiny set of stainless steel locking nuts once the new tyres were on.

Thanks to Gt Rob of national tyres Brownhills, who is on here.