ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lol... non RS clios heaps of s**t!

Clio 1.4, SV650S
Was insured on nice 05 liquid yellow 182 over the bank hol weekend. Did a couple of hundred miles including a run to avebury and cheddar gorge. Bloody nice car, always felt quick as a passenger but it wasn't until I was able to do the accelerating off roundabouts onto dual carridgeway thing (and just effortlessly storming past everyone else like they were stood still) that i started to realise what its all about :cool: . I didnt chuck the car hard round the twisties because its not mine, but the confidence from knowing what the front wheels were doing was brilliant!

Anyway - back to the title... got back in my car today (1.4 8v Mk2) and i just never realised how truely crap it is. :dead: (i knew it wasnt special but i always thought it was quite fun) its ok for doing the shopping and going to work, but the steering is so vague and floaty. Theres so little grip it can't handle 75bhp without spinning up easily and the understeer drifting to a strange 4 wheel slide that i used to think was fun now just seems like a horrible accident. :rolleyes: the only benefit is that its pretty economical.

sorry just had to get that off my chest.

lesser clios are good cars (except when bits fall off or they break down) but they are NOTHING like the RS versions. its a different world!

Re: lol... non RS clios heaps of sh*t!

..................lol:( get into a super car , now thats a different world

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member

thats pretty how i felt after the 172 test drive after going home in my 1.2 dynamic.. its just so responsive.. and shifts! shifts like mad to me.

Thing is tho.. im feeling guilty for giving my current car a gud time. Just so that you know.. i needed pads/discs and all 4 tyres changing after 11000 miles.

i was a naive 18 yr old.. hope car forgives me.

Turbos.
You get used to everything though, if you had a 172 you'd end up wanting more!

Get some coilovers and a rorty exhaust and you'll be living the dream...

Clio 1.4, SV650S
know what people mean about the fly by wire throttle though, might just be how its sprung as well as the minute hesitation (though when at high revs pretty responsive no hesitation)... and if you turn the key too fast in the ignition theres a slight delay... and i kept setting the alarm off my opening the door too quickly...

Thank god my car is so s**t and i don't have to put up with all that nonsense! ;)

Clio 1.4, SV650S

cliobuyer said:
You get used to everything though, if you had a 172 you'd end up wanting more!

Get some coilovers and a rorty exhaust and you'll be living the dream...

hmmm i'm not convinced that anything could save it, and i'm not willing to spend the money trying, and end up looking like a nob at the same time. (no offence to those with max'd motors, just not my thing).

Clio 1.4, SV650S

edit: ergh first my car is crap then the forum s***s on me too, twice. not my day.

Mazda MX5 1.8

entjm said:
lesser clios are good cars (except when bits fall off or they break down) but they are NOTHING like the RS versions. its a different world!

you think these wonderful 'RS' versions dont fall apart?

just because yours is s**t dont tarnish them all with the same brush
theres more to life than speed

maybe would have been advisable to have a better choice of words or just keep it to urself

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

entjm said:

like clio chris dont tar them all with the same brush because yours is shite.

mine has done just under 120,000 miles over 3 years, its NEVER broke down, had the coil pack replaced because it had an idle problem and thats it. sunroofs the only rattle ive got even now that its lowered

I think there good cars for what they are. I actually think after driving an MK3 Clio my old Dynamique was alot better in lots of ways.

The RS versions are a different type of car so one should expect a different feel but I know what it's like after numerous test drives in 182s before I got mine. :)

Clio 1.4, SV650S

clio__chris said:
maybe would have been advisable to have a better choice of words or just keep it to urself

why? discussion forum isnt it. i used those words to get people involved.

i had my eyes opened. i'm amazed how great the difference is.

i was amazed it took so long for someone to dis-agree.

What mods have you done to your car?

Ad

MK2 FRS
^^ lol @ steve with all the free test drives.

yep and then you can take the step up to RS meggy;)

Megane 225 Cup
I do agree with you, but i have the 16valve version of what you have and its pretty nippy. and hey till we are all older we cant afford the Rs loving.

Plus i dont know what this sliding is about, my car handles brilliantly, and yes i have driven fast cars....

But i see your point ;)

Clio 1.4, SV650S

fungusman said:
I do agree with you, but i have the 16valve version of what you have and its pretty nippy. and hey till we are all older we cant afford the Rs loving.

Plus i dont know what this sliding is about, my car handles brilliantly, and yes i have driven fast cars....

But i see your point ;)

damp roundabout, go in enthusiastically, can get understeer, can lift off and tease oversteer.... or thats what i thought - now it just seems sloppy compared to the 182; which turned in and held the line beautifully.

maybe you have alloys/wider wheels than me?

adtmits said:
^^ lol @ steve with all the free test drives.

yep and then you can take the step up to RS meggy;)

:rasp: I even went purposely to Carcraft once and listened to the sales person talk crap just for a quick blast down the M57 lol! :D

182s forever Ad ;)

Clio 1.4, SV650S

fungusman said:
and hey till we are all older we cant afford the Rs loving.

Oh by the way i'm completely sympathetic to that, i have a 1.4 myself remember.

I was honestly thought my car handled fairly well for what it is but driving the 182 has "moved the goal posts" a bit. IMHO the brutally honest fact is that these small cars are rubbish in the grand scheme of things... i'm just being a c**t and pointing it out :rasp: :evil:

Mazda MX5 1.8

entjm said:
why? discussion forum isnt it. i used those words to get people involved.

i had my eyes opened. i'm amazed how great the difference is.

i was amazed it took so long for someone to dis-agree.

What mods have you done to your car?

ive got nothing against u voicing ur opinion & i couldnt care less if you think your car is rubbish (or sh*t) compared to RS versions but its just the fact ur calling all non-rs versions sh*t.

ive got a viper, cat back exhaust + fk coilovers and i am more than happy with how it drives. sure i wouldnt mind more speed/power sometimes but barely have space to 'give it some' in mine before getting on the tail of someone or reaching illegal speeds.
anyway my car is pretty much spot on for me. does 0-60 in under 10secs but can get over 50mpg without too much effort and looks pretty good too imo

Octavia VRS
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind an RS Clio and I have been in a few and driven a couple.

However, even being in these, I don't think my car is 'rubbish' at all. Hell yeh it only has a 1.4 8 valve unit and 75 bhp but I've had some fun in it over the years. It does the job, has been pretty reliable and can't really grumble with it to be honest.

Just because the RS models are faster/maybe better handling there is no need to be slating standard Clios. I think you will find there are better cars out there than RS Clios as well!

Astra SRi T

well wot do u expect our basic clios havent got 2.0L engines plus you pay a lot more for that, im quite happy with my 1.2 16v, id love a clio RS but cant afford it:(

i drive my mums 2.5L vectra sometimes so i do experience some of the thrills of high speed sometimes lol. but i still think its unfair to say non RS Clios are shite i think the dynamique spec is quite nippy and handles well to me.

Before owning my Ph-Quick i had a 55 plate 1.4 16v Dynamiuqe (98bhp) i couldnt find a thing wrong with it, it had more than enough power for a 1.4, the handling was spot on in standard form but i upgraded and fitted 182 suspension, but still in standard form it was a brilliant non RS clio, i think if it wasnt for my dad owning a mk2 172 i would still have my 1.4, great little cars and good for insurance at 19 :)

Craig

MKIII 138

kullycliosport said:
..................lol:( get into a super car , now thats a different world

actually mate im not shitting you forgetting BHP and power to weight crap i drove a lambo murcielargo 6 months ago at a brungtingthorpe supercar day..

DSC00073.gif

it was really heavy and soooo stiff to turn and i didnt feel like i could take a chicane at more than 50 due to width, weight and lengh, hand on heart my clio 172cup IS more fun to drive than a murcielargo, i know people cant belive as they dream of these cars they want to belive they are the ultimate, they are crazy fast but im talking about the feeling.

like sleeping with a supermodel or sleeping with your local gym instructor. the supermodel has the looks the kudos and the supercar feel, the gym instructor is a goer and has a tight exploitable chassis lol :D

mock me if you will, but some cars are just silly fun. my old pug 205 was the same.

ant

yep.
when i first got my 172 it felt stupid fast [after having a pug diesel for a year]. now it feels slow :(

you soon get used to speed!

Clio 172 mk2

Yeah, you certainly get used to the speed but the steering/handling of the 172/182 does make it really good fun to drive:D

E90
I've been driving a 1,3 ton, 1,4 mazda 3 for three months, I get the golf on friday, Its gonna feel saturn 5, LOL. Weird thing is i've noticed me being more tired in the mazda, as if the lack of accelleration and power is making me bored and driving worse, than when i'm in a car thats fun, like the clio, weird that.

None
Some very good points made on here. Ive had passenger rides in a Cup and got back into my car and it felt well slow. I wouldnt want an RS yet tho due to the fact I will prob have trouble running it etc and my 1.2 does a good job and is reliable and theres nothing wrong with it to make me want to get rid of it. Thing is if you stick 172bhp into any hatchback, with a good setup you will love it alot more than a car with half the power/ability :)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Weeman said:
I've been driving a 1,3 ton, 1,4 mazda 3 for three months, I get the golf on friday, Its gonna feel saturn 5, LOL. Weird thing is i've noticed me being more tired in the mazda, as if the lack of accelleration and power is making me bored and driving worse, than when i'm in a car thats fun, like the clio, weird that.

i regularly drive my gfs clio 1.5dci 65bhp and feel tired like that because it is boring to drive in comparison to my 172

Clio 1.4, SV650S

R20GRC said:
i regularly drive my gfs clio 1.5dci 65bhp and feel tired like that because it is boring to drive in comparison to my 172

This is what i'm getting at... all of a sudden i have no interest in my car :(

Can see how i thought it was fun, but really its not! A step on the ladder i suppose, and i won't be sad to see it go when the time comes!

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I went from a 1.1i saxo to a 182 Cup and difference felt huge. Now I am used to the speed and it doesnt feel as fast!

RB 200 Cup!
i personally love my non RS Clio - its quick enough still for me at the mo til i can afford a 182 but then when i get a 182 i'll want something more cos im greedy like that! lol