ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking a buying a clio.. some advice..

s2000
Hi,

I currently have a s2000, but looking to upgrade the misses car from a war torn punto, to a cilo.. possiblely a 172 (so i can enjoy it too).. looking to spend about 4K ish..

Now, what im looking for is some sort of buying guide, and running costs.. We are used to low running costs on the S (except the rear tyres, which might as well be made of steam, they just seem to evaporate quickly.) What sort of things 'go' at diff milages, and what should not not buy (i.e 55K miles and the cambelt has not been done)

I hear some nasty surpises on cilos.? is this just b****cks or actually true.

Or if anyone has a 172 for sale about 4k.. I will have a look at the 'for sale' section in a mo.

I have seen this one http://www.autoaddicts.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=27646&pageid=1 obviouly i would knock the price down.. is that a good example?

Cheers..

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Hi.
Evo did a good second hand guide on the 172 not too long ago,thats definately worth checking out,they list prices of repairs and things most likely that will need repairing and what mileage etc.

Sure someone else can help alot more but check out EVO for a starting place.

make sure it has a full service history, and cam belt has been changed, should be done at 70k miles or 5 years, steering wheels are abit tatty on this model. running costs arnt high, arverage is around 33mpg ish.

s2000
Cheers.. i will look for the fsh etc.. just wondered if there were any 'specifics' to look for.. suspension bushes etc?.. odd knocking noises on full lock? that kind of thing.

Turbos.
That front top mount knock is common and the exhaust will fall off at some point. When i bought my 172 i actively asked if they had the problems as they are an inevitability. I'd rather know the car had the problems and had them fixed rather than it happen to me!

There is nothing really serious to worry about though.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
hi Joe - *waves* fellow Honda owner (EP3 CTR) :) You're in safe hands with this lot. :)

s2000
DarthCake said:
hi Joe - *waves* fellow Honda owner (EP3 CTR) :) You're in safe hands with this lot. :)

cool.. good to hear..

my current debate is a 172 (v1) or a older williams... hmmmm

172 will give you less trouble I'd imagine, but it wont be anywhere near the same driving experience. the Willy is very direct feeling, almost feels like an extension of yourself sometimes as it really does give that much feedback

TheJesus said:
172 will give you less trouble I'd imagine

Maybe, that's what I thought too..

Now, I'm looking on the forum, and 172's are starting to go wrong.. and it'll only get worse as they get older :(

I was quite close to getting a newer Clio for some reliability, but, now I don't think I am :p