ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at a 172 on Wednesday...

RS 172
Hey guys,

I'm off to browse a Silver 172 on Weds, but just posting on here for some advice regarding what to look for in this car in particular.

I wont go into too much detail but its very very cheap. Its a 52 plate with 59,000 miles, and is a CAT C repair. Its got a clean HPI Full check which I ran myself. One issue I had however is that it has had 7 previous owners, which seemed like a lot to me.

Looks mint however, except some light paint damage to the rear bumper which I can sort no problem. It really is a steal at the money its up at, but I wonder if it looks too good, it may well be.

Im taking an experienced mechanic with me who can give the workings a once over, but do you have any advice regarding specifics to look for? E.G. how to spot if the car is feeling underpowered or mistreated etc? Its really just the 7 owners playing on my mind a little. I know it could mean nothing, and most people probably find the CAT C repair more worrying, but the car I run now was a CAT C (or D cant remember) repair and is perfect.

Thanks guys.

audi a6 3.0tdi
if its low mileage and 7 owners that says a lot about the car. Obviously people have bought it realised oh yes it is a shed and sold it on real quick. I wouldn't even consider it no matter how cheap it was.

to give you an idea i test drove an mr2 the other day looked a nice low mileage example took it out and when accelerating the front would lift and wobble side to side. It had obviously been in some front end smash and repaired badly. that car was on 30k with 5 owners.

Pay a bit extra for a low owner decent history car and it will pay off in the long run. Some insurance companies won't touch cat c/d cars as well.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd drive a minter beforehand to compare. It could be a dog, or it could be that people have gone for it as it's cheap without considering insurance and running costs. How cheap?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
If 1 owner was the dealer, then that leaves 5 in 8 years. Hmm not sure, people sell cars fro various reasons. The steering wheel may be a bit torn to s**t when you see it. Also the gearbox may feel a little loose.

From here it doesnt seem that great unless its cheap, but you may have found a gem?

Where abouts is it?

Westy. MX5
I'm buying a cat c car as well. You should expect to pay about a 1/3 to 1/2 of it's normal resale value. If your unsure what to look for then ask the owner to take the the car for an mot at a garage of your choice and go with him and pay for the test yourself, £40 or so is a lot cheaper than a full AA-RAC check. Could help you come to a decision.

audi a6 3.0tdi
My mate works in a body shop and seeing those cars totally puts me off buying anything thats been recorded. I've seen full roofs and sides being put onto cars and its not nice to know they are going back on the road.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I'm buying a cat c car as well. You should expect to pay about a 1/3 to 1/2 of it's normal resale value. If your unsure what to look for then ask the owner to take the the car for an mot at a garage of your choice and go with him and pay for the test yourself, £40 or so is a lot cheaper than a full AA-RAC check. Could help you come to a decision.

wouldnt bother myself- whatever you pay try & shift a CAT C car with 8 owners-
S

Evo 8 MR
I've bought a cat C Focus before and to be fair it was brilliant but personally I wouldn't buy a hot hatch thats been binned.

It was difficult to shift it too come sale time.

RS 172
Its a shade under £2k over in Swansea. Good shout on testing out a minter first. Just worried I'll miss out on a steal if I write it off completely because of its past.

Iceberg 172
It's not really a bargain is it???

OK you're getting a 172 for not a lot of money but with it being a cat c with 7 previous owners it's not worth a lot of money!!!!!!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Its a shade under £2k over in Swansea. Good shout on testing out a minter first. Just worried I'll miss out on a steal if I write it off completely because of its past.

thats not a bargain, its a cheap car- but cheap doesnt = bargain-

Steve ^^^^^ knows where theres a cheap cat d cup going... ;)

Steve

Golf GT TDI
£2k for a cat c? lol

get a decent phase 1 172 instead of a shed 172 ph2

unless your paying £800-£880 for this phase 2 i wouldnt bother

It's A Reno
Ideally, you need someone who owns one to go too. Any takers?

When was it Cat C'd. Any documentation or photos with the car of the damage?

Edit. I just noticed that you're travelling a long way. Forget it.
It's a long way to go to expect problems.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
£2,000 for a Cat C in Wales???

I'd not buy a Pint of ale from wales without worrying about it blowing up in my hand.

Everyone knows in the car game.... AVOID CARS FROM OVER THE BRIDGE! To buy a Cat C one with 7 owners is asking for trouble.

audi a6 3.0tdi
I'd pay a grand max for it. i Know if you get lucky and have the cash there you can get real bargains but thats cheap as no one wants it.

Evo 8 MR
£2k for a cat c? lol

get a decent phase 1 172 instead of a shed 172 ph2

unless your paying £800-£880 for this phase 2 i wouldnt bother

Very good point, if my budget was this much I'd certainly prefer a mint ph1 than a binned ph2.

Iceberg 172
I've always been told to try and get the best example of the model you want. So if you can only afford a shite 172 don't get it. If you can buy a mint Saxo VTS then get that... do you know what i mean?????

I'm not saying get a VTS... just using it as an example!

RS 172
I hear you guys cheers for the responses. Its not that I can only afford this one, its just the price caught me. Basically it sold and then the buyer never showed so it came up again. I enquired from there.

From the history is seems the car was damaged for just over a year, which either means someone took their time in repairing it or it passed through a number of hands during the process of repair. No idea, but I'm going to have to look out of interest anyway as I havent seen many yet. The mechanic I will be taking in toe with me is a car buff and has owned a large number of performance cars, so should be able to spot a duff when he sees one.

I'll let you know anyway, nothing to loose in checking it out. If its not on I'll go back on the hunt, got a few Flamers I'm looking at on P.Heads too that look rather spotless.

audi a6 3.0tdi
No harm in looking just don't get the blinkers and buy it on impulse only to regret it later.

Golf GT TDI
the price caught me. Basically it sold and then the buyer never showed so it came up again. .

i bet £7.23p he turned up, looked and ran off.....

save your self the bother and check out some other ones, remember cambelt changes cost £400-£500 so bear that in mind