ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at buying a Clio 1.8 16v

Chav Rocket
W-O-W what a war! well i have just done a 1.8 16v and to be honest it was for the fun of it. if your of the mentality where you want to restore something then go for it but if you want something new and reliable its probably not for you.

They look beautiful... I just love boxy cars
old cars with lax power but a sport badge = insurance group 14
piss take
Heaps now though, they mainly rotten away back in the 90's. The Fiesta RS turbo is about a group more than that, they are better, but you'll be looking at very very bad ones for the money, they too will be rotten.

The Clio would be the better bet for the money, your best of driving one tbh.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Can you not wait a few months more and up your budget? If you can get up £2500-£3k you'll be on for a Suzuki Ignis Sport. If you can live with how it looks its an awesome warm hatch, a perfect step between whilst you are waiting for hot hatch insurance heh. They are Group 8, 1.5 engine, 0-60 in 8.9 which isnt fast but its not slow either and the chassis is amazing! They are great fun to throw around and also they are still pretty new with japanese reliability.

Can't believe the Valver slating in here to be honest - you can tell this forum is full of your Mk2 gheyers!

Have to completely disagree with the price some people are quoting, for a grand you should have no trouble finding a very good one. Mileage doesn't really matter as long as it is serviced well.

They aren't quite as fast as a 172/182 etc, but they look kick ass, gettin rare and aren't as unreliable as you might think. You could do a lot worse.

what are the real world performance figures on a valver nowadays. well preserved model, as i'm sure it'll destroy what I'm driving at the moment.

ITB'd MK1
what are the real world performance figures on a valver nowadays. well preserved model, as i'm sure it'll destroy what I'm driving at the moment.

you will love a valver. Contrary to some belief, you dont need mega power to have fun. Power IS fun, but it's not the only way to have fun. I love my 2.0 mk1

Chav Rocket
they aint bad
Picture065.jpg

Picture070.jpg

Picture074.jpg

despite the cs hate i still rock a sticker :p

172 cup
Depends which you like the most... :)

they both have there plus points

valver - cheap to insure, old skool cool, better driving position and more comfy seats. Not to mention the popping on over run, makes me wood every time

172 cup - Easyier to drive, you dont have to rev it as hard to get the power and takes everything you throw at it

HBT 172 Cup
Did this just turn into a valver whoring thread?! Oh joy :D

Some of my previous..

sideSmall.jpg

Which i turned into..

n782290363_100001_4298.jpg

DSC01971.jpg

DSC01972.jpg

And my current one..

P1000351.jpg

P1000343.jpg

Last edited:
  F82 M4
I had one when I was 17. Bloody loved the thing. Sold it a few years ago for more than I bought it for. It's not that fast though, you'll have problems keeping up with a VTS for example.

Pug 205 gti
There weren't no, his ones rare as it's an N reg - also if it has factory leather in it it's very rare ! My old 'sh*t one' :rolleyes: lol, had factory leather in it, it's nice stuff.

a mate of mine had a light silver one on an n reg, no leather though. i had a blue one with leather a few years ago

Dug some out. Proper sh*t heap it was lol !

cliopics005.jpg

cliopics011.jpg

clio16vpics012.jpg

Apart from the wheels needing a refurb, which I never got round to (they were like that when I go it) It was a very very good example. Excuse the Avon's, awful tyres.

I'd have one that had been messed with as tbh 137bhp these days is woeful (imo) I'd want one with some proper stuff done to it.

I'd have one that had been messed with as tbh 137bhp these days is woeful (imo) I'd want one with some proper stuff done to it.

I wouldn't say the 137bhp is woeful - the problem is the lack of torque - you really have to rev the nuts of it to go anywhere fast. Stick the Williams lump in it and there is nothing woeful about its pace at all.

I wouldn't say the 137bhp is woeful - the problem is the lack of torque - you really have to rev the nuts of it to go anywhere fast. Stick the Williams lump in it and there is nothing woeful about its pace at all.
Up to about 60 I found they are roughly the same (two different cars against mine) after that I found the Willy would pull. I'd be wanting a Willy lump, cams the lot tbh. I do agree about the lack of torque.