ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

looking at getting a valver

Cav GSi
hi clio.net

i am very close to getting a mark 1 1.8 16v,is ther anything i should look out for??

as ive owned a clio befour i know wishbones and steering colums (spelling?) can go

as i say i am close to getting one,ive heard nothing but good things about them,there really quick,will show up GTi/VTS ect,great track car ect

any comments welcome

RenaultSport 172.
if its got a sunroof...they tend to leak alot...

rusty arches....

the usual.

=]

Renault Clio S
Renault just can't seem to get the sunroofs right. I've had two Clio's, the sunroof leaked on the first one and makes a intense rattling noise on the one I now own. Coupled with the plastic front wings, build quality ain't up to much.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
as said this has been covered so many times......use the search facility

another thing though..spend out on a quality one, you get people on here moaning about probelms they have but have only spent 900 squids.....you get what you pay for its worth the extra in the long run

tbh bills & service history speak volumes about them, the car should come with a massive stack of paperwork, loads of bills & old mots etc.
If some one only produces one mot but claims things like the clutch & gearbox have been replaced etc, but no proof - walk away.

If you buy the right one it'll keep you happy for a long while (I had mine for three years)

It is a mine filed out there, there are so many ropey examples out there, beware !

Saxo VTS
Look out for everything.

If it hasn't been replaced in the last week it will self destruct.

A pig to work on, exspensive to run and crap build quality.

The 1% of the time when it kind of works will be the most awesome time ever though.

And what's this about showing up VTS/GTi's? By all accounts, standard for standard a Valver will be left behind untill about 90.

Anyway buy very carefuly and be prepared to use public transport.... a lot.

Valver
^^ Lol will show up a lot of golf GTi's (exc new ones :p) and a VTS would be no means 'leave behind a valver' would be touch and go.

As the others have said don't buy cheapo ones look for lots of service history, rusty arches are very common and expensive to fix (normally cut/weld/spray job).

Check for obvious mayo under cap, over heating etc check blower works (another common thing to break) and sunroof seal!

Ideally you'd want someone who's had a valver and knows what breaks etc I would be happy to help but bit far from you, if you see one in bristol though give me a shout can help you inspect it.

Cav GSi
ah thanks guys for you comments,just what i was thinking, just wanted to make sure i havn't missed anything out,i was told last night gearboxes are a bit weak but i was thinking of putting a diesel box in,???

PATRICK - it is nice but not £2k worth,plus youve modded it,i would really want something not played with so i can mod it the way i want,if you get what i mean (sorry if that sounds rude)

SAMI - thanks for your kind comment and i will take you up on the offer if i find a nice one round you

whats the "hybrid" valver?? leathers ect?

a mate's nan has a valer,owned it since new 63K on a j plate,wants £850 for it but needs a new clutch and fog lights as they got stolen,im goin to have a look round it saturday,ill try and post some pics

Valver
No problem!

Box's can be a bit weak but tbh if you don't drive like a t**t and mash the gears they should last, if anything you'd wanna put a williams box in as thats stronger.

Hybrid valver = a valver which has had a williams engine conversion, so its got the F7R 2.0 16v lump in from a williams.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Look out for everything.

The 1% of the time when it kind of works will be the most awesome time ever though.

And what's this about showing up VTS/GTi's? By all accounts, standard for standard a Valver will be left behind untill about 90.

most of that is pure bullsh*t^^^^

i must of had a very lucky 1% as mine has been fine for 2.5 years...lol (touchwood)

as for gti's and saxo's etc, they are about the same - very slightly slower, all depends on mods, driver etc, endless argument.

rob - as i said you get what you pay for, i think you will be suprised what you have to pay, 2k for patricks sounds quite good, i have just sold mine for a fair old whack but it is a top quality motor (don't ask advice and when people tell you shoot them down, ie price wise on patricks)

with regards to looking for a nice one, thats not modified, research Yoj on here, as far as i am aware this is still for sale in exeter, you can contact the seller by pm, his name is clarkiev6

and with regards to the diesel box danlp6 on here has done it so may be worth pm'ing him also

hope thats of some use

I agree with Freebone tbh.
Valvers do need to be looked after (remember they are getting on now) but it won't go wrong every time you drive it ! You just need to find a decent one.

Cav GSi
thanks guys,

sorry if it sounded really rude about the price of patrics clio,didnt mean anything by it,but thats for you advise

SAMI - thanks for that,ive seen a few but never knew what they where haha

my first car was a clio and that was clean,only paid £100 for it,and that went 2 years of hitting 7000rpm,only thing that went on that was the head gasket.but ive grown up abit now and now know that you dont rag the tits off a car,it was a lovly car to drive,i got a mint cav gsi at the moment and i would swap it for my old clio,anyday.just miss the fun of a light,great handling hatchback so i mite as well get a 1.8 16v,bit more power and electirc bits (would get a williams but ther group 20 or so)

cheers cat, don't want to put him off with some bullsh*t

end of the day it is simple, pay the money to get a good one and you should be ok
No problem at all fela, I had a mint standard one (with factory leather) for three years a couple of years ago.

Saxo VTS
Look out for everything.

most of that is pure bullsh*t^^^^

i must of had a very lucky 1% as mine has been fine for 2.5 years...lol (touchwood)

as for gti's and saxo's etc, they are about the same - very slightly slower, all depends on mods, driver etc, endless argument.

rob - as i said you get what you pay for, i think you will be suprised what you have to pay, 2k for patricks sounds quite good, i have just sold mine for a fair old whack but it is a top quality motor (don't ask advice and when people tell you shoot them down, ie price wise on patricks)

with regards to looking for a nice one, thats not modified, research Yoj on here, as far as i am aware this is still for sale in exeter, you can contact the seller by pm, his name is clarkiev6

and with regards to the diesel box danlp6 on here has done it so may be worth pm'ing him also

hope thats of some use

Firstly you obviously don't understand sarcasm which is what makes up most of that post.

Secondly you obviously can't read as I pointed out 'standard for standard' a 106GTi/Saxo VTS will leave a Valver behind up till about 90. Simply do the math, bhp/tonne is higher on a 106/Saxo than a Valver, thus a 106/Saxo is going to be quicker. Obviously it's also down to the driver but a 106/Saxo would have the edge upto illegal speeds.

And yeah you must have got lucky because you don't have to look far to see what unreliable bags of s**t they can be. Granted any old car is going to have it's faults but I doubt many get turned away from garages simply because they're so awkward to work on.

I owned a Valver for 14 months, it ended up being quite a decent car but not before I had to fork out a lot of money replacing items such as PAS pumps, driveshafts, gearboxes etc, and this was a car with very good service history and average miles.

Not bullshit, just a different experience of Valver ownership.

Just tread carefuly and don't buy a nail as a lot of them now seem to be.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
fair point finch, i may have been hasty in saying it was all bullsh*t, as you say i spose it is a matter of experience really, still don't think most are s**t bags, well i spose it depends where your looking, i tend to see most on here/williamsclio etc so they have been looked after, its the ones out of the clubs that haven't really.

as for the 106/saxo bit do excuse me, i think we think the same but was expressed differently

and as for sarcasm, yeah i do know what that is, sadly i use it too much

Cav GSi
well had a look at some on the net,ebay seems to be the cheapest to buy but i dont reallt trust it for cars,

auto trader seems to be around £800 - £1200. theres a nice black one in ther,might go have a look at it.ring up the owner saturday

ive just had a look on pistionheads.com too,some very nice 1 on ther.
here's one http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/175194.htm

be selling my soon af you lot know amyone who's in to them,
(black GSI,a few mods, £850 ovno pm me for pic's or more info)

Rob

That K reg one would have to be totally mint as for that price !
The pas pump is noisy on most of them, so not too big a deal tbh.

Cav GSi
same as what i was thinking

saw that clio owned by the old lady in the pissing rain today:mad:

looked good,got no pics due to too much rain,didnt want to f**k up the camra,seats had a tiny rip in it,sun roof didnt leak:eek:,bonnet needed a re-spray,rear wiper didnt work,no radio,body wasn't that bad,as it was raining all day didnt want to hang around for long

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
thanks guys,

sorry if it sounded really rude about the price of patrics clio,didnt mean anything by it,but thats for you advise

my first car was a clio and that was clean,only paid £100 for it,and that went 2 years of hitting 7000rpm,only thing that went on that was the head gasket.but ive grown up abit now and now know that you dont rag the tits off a car,it was a lovly car to drive,i got a mint cav gsi at the moment and i would swap it for my old clio,anyday.just miss the fun of a light,great handling hatchback so i mite as well get a 1.8 16v,bit more power and electirc bits (would get a williams but ther group 20 or so)

mine has a williams engine but will only be insurance group 13 , but apparnetly its not worth 2k:eek: ;)

Williams 1
thanks guys,

Dont be silly, insurance is cheap as chips, i pay £200 more on my williams than i did on my saxo vtr and im ony 21, am FC for £700 and the saxo is slow as f**k compared to my new willy :rasp:

Cav GSi
getting a valver with a mate of mine, gonna have twin clio,same mods ect

called him a girl because he cant drive haha

Beast
thanks guys,

Dont be silly, insurance is cheap as chips, i pay £200 more on my williams than i did on my saxo vtr and im ony 21, am FC for £700 and the saxo is slow as f**k compared to my new willy :rasp:

Buying a williams is a mugs game, they're well overpriced because of their classic/prestige/icon status and end of the day the only real difference to a valver is 200cc, slightly stronger box and wider track, Oh and 7 or so insurance groups!

Cav GSi
no :( i was looking but i had no car for two weeks so i had to buy 1 just to get about,to and from work ect.got a 405 now,gay i know.just waiting for the right one to come along