ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at lowering the 182

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
As title states. I'm considering lowering the 182 and am wondering what options to go for. I can't afford to go for coilovers so am thinking more on the line of lowering springs. But which to go for???

Ive read a few threads on people saying they can mess up dampers etc but how true is this.
Any help and advice much appreciated.
Cheers.

Chris.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
really not a huge amount if you want it 'lower' rather than handling well.

apex will lower it and give a good stance but that is where it ends

eibach sportlines will lower it a little bit but not much but will make it handle very good!

or just save each month until you can afford coilovers :)

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
How much are we talking for coilovers?
Isn't there only a few options with a cup packed 182?

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
How much are we talking for coilovers?
Isn't there only a few options with a cup packed 182?

yeah you are more strict with cup packed

your looking at lower market ones ktec/vmaxx
ktec have theirs for sale at £300
vmaxx about the £400 mark

then you have the better ones h&r,spax etc £600 plus roughly

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
If I was to buy coilovers I would Prefer to save more and buy better quality ones. I will have a look and see what I can do.

DCI100
i'm putting vmaxx coilys on my dci within the week or two so will give you a bit of review on them soon.

Don't go for apex, sick stance horribly uncomfortable and i only realised handling improvement at high speed because theres less shake and wobble.

I drive a dci but the principle is the same

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Cheers mate. Let me know what you think of them. Just been looking at the vmaxx ones on the ktec website.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
i've got vmaxx on mine i don't do track days and for day to day think they really arn't that bad and i only paid £280 off a member on here who was selling them after a month because he has sold his car. otherwise prob would of done the same and gone for h&r

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I will get researching. I may just end up going for some eibach sport lines though :s

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I've got Sportlines on mine, and it drives really well. The ride height isn't too bad if you're running 16" wheels to be honest.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Does it affect the dampers or is that just bullshite?

DCI100
Think they can come in black. sportlines will be good.

The whole dampers being affected thing is because you're damper is continuously more compressed than has standard so they leak and fail more, BUT. on sportlines you really don't have to worry about that has its not enough to cause it imo.

You want the eibachs which are for a clio sport i believe (bigger heavier engine) so slightly different.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
No, they are the Prolines. Sportlines are red like you said :)

Im not sure who's cheapest to buy from as they were already fitted to my 182. Although I did have them on my 1.2 aswell.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Are those in the link above the right ones then if I was to order those or not?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The good thing with eibach's is that they are very popular. So when (if) you save up for coilovers, you will be able to sell them on at a good price. So say you buy them new for £150, you will get £100 for them EASY.

2014 Clio 200t edc
There is the old 'wives' take that lowered springs can lessen the life of standard shocks, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Think they have tolerances larger than they used to.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'm going to have a look around on the Internet this week and make a purchase. Think Daniel has hit the nail on the head really. Eibachs have a good resale value.

Cooksport Fleet
We have our own brand of springs currently being tested on one of our cars. They are track/handling orientated as well as suitably lowering the car.

We have tested various spring rates and heights to ensure they give the handling characteristics we require.

We are also working on getting the AST sport line 1 kit under £1000.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
When will these be available? Cheque clears on Friday so am looking to order some pretty soon. Cheers for the response people. :)

Next on the list is an ARB. ;)

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
May be interested in these. Perhaps a possible deal if a few people buy at once? ;)

BlackGold 182
I have 2 182s at the minute, ones on the apex springs and one is standard, and I have to say I don't think the apex springs are hardly much worse, only a little more harsh but my vmaxx coilovers were worse than apex springs
Tbh

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'm looking for info/reviews on the sportlines really. Someone I know has apex and Hates them :(

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I have 2 182s at the minute, ones on the apex springs and one is standard, and I have to say I don't think the apex springs are hardly much worse, only a little more harsh but my vmaxx coilovers were worse than apex springs
Tbh

i have had apex, sportlines and now vmaxx and wouldn't put the apex higher than the vmaxx :eek:

Cooksport Fleet
We have had experience with a massive range of suspension kits available for Clios. Personally, I would never use vmaxx coil overs on track instead of a decent lowering spring.

Generally feedback from people on the forum seems to be that Apex springs are to "crashy" and the prolines "handle well" but don't lower the car enough for some.

Our springs offer a similar height to the Apex springs, but have managed to eliminate the poor ride. This has been done by changing the number of spring coils, stiffness and bar diameter.

We have put a lot of time into development to try and offer the best product possible.

Monaco 172
Eibach sportlines get my vote, I just fitted a set to the original shocks (100,000 miles) have done 5,000 miles on them so far, settled now and handles really well for just springs. I was shocked how nice it fealt to be honest.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
^^^^ think this is what I'm going to go for to be honest.

Are they difficult to change?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Chris...I have Prolines, but Sportlines will be just as easy to change. Just make sure on fronts, you pull damper all way up (I didnt and saw my arse). Rears are supposed to be the pain, but I used spring compressors to enable to pop them in.

Fronts took under an hour with 2 people (once dampers pulled up!) and rears took about the same.

BlackGold 182
rears are simple! takes 20 mins, just jack up rear, undo rear damper bolts and then the axle drops and the springs pop out, stick new springs in and undo top bolts in boot and then change over dampers

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Just read a little guide in the guides section. Doesn't look too difficult. Will get my mate round to help.