ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at New Car, Possibly 1.6 16v Clio, Saxo VTR or Zetec S

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Right, after having the 1.2 for nearly a year nowi am looking at getting something a bit quicker.

I really like the Clio, have a bit of a soft spot for them and a lot of the mods i have done to my 1.2 can be put on the 1.6 so i am edging towards this option right now. Cant afford a 172 right now due to insurance costs so that is out of the question really.
The Saxo VTR, a nice car although it has a bit of reputation for being chavvy. I dont like where the pedals are and they arent very safe!
The Zetec S is a very nice car, fairly quick and not too chavvy. Dont see many about either.

As for performance figures, im not sure which is quickest etc.. id imagine the saxo would be the worst (We are talking 8v VTR here, not VTS) although im not sure what would have the edge out of the Zetec S and the Clio.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Cheers
Nick

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
The Zetec S will be the slowest. The later VTR (100bhp one) will probably be the quickest and definately the most fun to drive, but as you say, bit of a tin box. The Clio will be comfiest.

The Zetec S looks nice and doesn't really have anything else going for it for me - I'm not a fan, waste of a decent chassis giving it such crap power for the top model. Just IMHO of course.

Clio, 110bhp iirc? Saxo (later one) 100bhp, and no weight, Zetec S 100bhp and no torque heh. Out of those, I'd want the Saxo, just because they're the most fun to drive out of them - and I don't really care about the image. It'll have the cheapest parts etc as well.

Just my 2p.

Dan

Turbo LY R27
Vtr, is ok but a bit horrible inside and nippy, but s**t after 80, and safety wise they are b****cks! The fiesta Zetecs aint that quick, my old 1.416v was just as quick.
The 1.616v clios are def gonna be the quickest, and with the mods you already have it makes sense. My mate has a 1.6 and they are good fun, good tourqe and very nippy, IMO def the pick of the bunch and you get more options with it compared to the rest. If i had to get one of those it would be the clio everyday.:)

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Well budget wise, lets say £4000-£5000.
By Zetec S I mean Phase 2 (99-02)

I am also edging towards the Clio as a few of my mates have VTR's already and one has a Zetec S. The Zetec S always seems beat the VTR's off the line though which seems strange after looking at all the Parkers figures. Its the later VTR aswell.
According to Parkers:

1.6 16V Dynamique 3d (AC), 9.3 s, 120 mph, 110 bhp
1.6 Zetec S 3d, 9.9 s, 113 mph, 101 bhp
1.6i VTR 3d (99), 9.1 s, 120 mph, 100 bhp

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I don't think the Clio would be quickest - it only has 10bhp on the Saxo, and longer gear ratios, and probably 20% more weight. There wouldn't be much in it, but I reckon in a straight drag up to high speed the Saxo would edge it, till like over a tonne then I'd imagine the top end revs of the Clio would drag it past.

Dan

Turbo LY R27
The clio will be the strongest through out the speedo, more grunt when you get to higher speeds compared to the others. Ive driven all 3 for me personally:
1=clio
2=vtr
3=ztec

But its up to you, best thing to do really is drive them yourself. These are just our opinions and its your car, so just see which works for you. :)

Turbo LY R27
I don't think the Clio would be quickest - it only has 10bhp on the Saxo, and longer gear ratios, and probably 20% more weight. There wouldn't be much in it, but I reckon in a straight drag up to high speed the Saxo would edge it, till like over a tonne then I'd imagine the top end revs of the Clio would drag it past.

Dan

My mate had an 52 plate saxo, i had a 03 plate 1.416v and to 110mph we were neck and neck, nothin in it.
The 1.6 is def the quickest, its not a heavy car by any means.:)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yea I'd agree with Mike. Drive them all, see which one you like the best.

Dan

Turbo LY R27
^^^Wow! Dont think ford have had a good hatchback since the rs turbo, brilliant car. Think the new ST is dissapointing which is a shame. Could of been such a better car.

ive got a 2002 model 1.6 40k on the clock for 4k is in tip condition, wouldnt have a vtr or fiesta clio is just a hell of a lot better imo

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Theres absolutely nothing in it between the Clio and VTR. Clio has more power, Saxo has less weight. The fiesta styling in my opinion is gash, its slower than the saxo and clio and doesnt handle half as well either.

The Clio is a much safer car and it is a better place to sit in with all the extra bits (Air conditioning etc) although if you get the fleck interior (the seat trim) for the Saxo, a good clean and its actually not as bad as people make out, nice white dials and the gearstick isnt as bulky as the clio.

Reliability wise id say the Saxo is better than the Clio, the basics are that theres less to go wrong and most components are fairly reliable as long as you dont play about with them. The Fiesta im not sure about so i wont comment.

If you want to play about with the car then again the Saxo is probably the best option, responds better to engine mods than the Clio and theres (as you would expect with it been a saxo) plenty of aftermarket bits as well as cheap and plentyful supply of vtr bits. The Clio isnt lacking but going by what people have said, scrap yards and standard 2nd hand parts for the 1.6 Clio are few and far between.

Safety wise the Clio beats it hands down, the Saxo is only 2* NCAP which is very poor indeed, i did manage to have a 80mph front end hit however (2 cars hit head on at 40mph) and came out with a small graze on my arm. I wouldnt want to put my faith in the same outcome again though. ;)

Id recommend the Saxo, but if safety does concern you, Clio everytime. I wouldnt consider the Fiesta.

Astra CDTI XP & ZX6R
Have you thout of a 106 gti? ive had 2 of them in the past and in my opinion there awsum little car for the money and the insurance is good for how quik they are.

RB 182
Id get a VTR, i loved mine and regret sellin it sometimes when i think how little it went for, sold it a year ago for £2200 with new g/box, it was an 02 plate

Little go kart, stick to the road if you lower them abit and you feel everything, lovely!! Easy to fix, nice and basic!

Zetec S, dont bother. Working for Ford these arent even a warm hatch! You'll fall out of the seats if you go round a corner at more than 10mph, and if you get a later one with traction control and abs, it'll break

Clio 1.6 is one i havent driven, but i seem to remember wen i was buying my VTR the guy at the Renault garage said dont bother with a 1.6, get a 1.4 as they're just as fast and about half the insurance costs!

The clio will be the strongest through out the speedo, more grunt when you get to higher speeds compared to the others. Ive driven all 3 for me personally:
1=clio
2=vtr
3=ztec

Agree with that mate the zetec s's are poor and slow :(

The Clios def the best choice as i dont think theres much of them about (sorry if i'm wrong) unlike Vtr's.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Sorry but id of thought not many of them been around would be a bad thing? Its not as if its an exclusive car like an Integra DC5 is it, its a clio, the generic shape is out in its millions and noone would notice the difference. Id sooner have the car which has more availability of parts, especially on a French car.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
1=clio
2=vtr
3=ztec

Agree with that mate the zetec s's are poor and slow :(

The Clios def the best choice as i dont think theres much of them about (sorry if i'm wrong) unlike Vtr's.

+1

SL.

Valver
Zetec S are just pure gash

Clio 1.6 looks gay in standard form (dont flame me)

I'd go for the VTR, so what if there are loads about, its a good performer...or if you must be different, go for the alfa 147!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
would avoid the zetec S, ive drove one and while i quite liked the looks the interior was gash, didnt handle that well and was SLOW! (and i had a 1.2 dynamique at the time!, it wasnt much slower than the fiesta!)

ive never driven a VTR but i done a VTS conversion to a 1.4 saxo for a mate and it went like f**k, handled brilliant once it had new bushes and decent suspension on it.

am i right in thinking you have coilovers on your 1.2? if so then they will fit straight on assuming you have 58mm bolt spacing to a 1.6 16v so it makes sense to go for that!