ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking at selling my megane for a clio?

RS Megane 225
After FCS and seeing the clio's and getting little ideas into my head, im thinking off selling my 225megane for a 172 clio.
Just a few questions?
Will it be cheaper to run 'petrol + maintain' , Will it be more fun 'no turbo',
What should i look for when buying..

And any other bits ive missed out
Thanks in advance Berry :)

RS Megane 225
ive had non turbo cars before and was fine :) just never driven a 172 and you cant test drive some1 else car like you would want to..

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
After FCS and seeing the clio's and getting little ideas into my head, im thinking off selling my 225megane for a 172 clio.
Just a few questions?

IMO depends what you're going to use it for.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Crash megane, get insurance payout including you keeping the salvage, buy 172, fit engine from megane.

Sorted :D

133/225/CLS AMG
Well I've got one of each and to me the 225 ticks more boxes. Far more power and torque, not dissimilar handling, certainly more inspiring grip and a better interior.

That said the Megane will do 10mpg less than the 172 on average and servicing is more expensive as is the tax.

That said the Clio is by no means slow, in fact not much slower than the 225, a 'full fat' has a similar spec inside as well.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 172 but to me I'd rather have my 225 over the 172 if I had to choose.

RS Megane 225
im just looking for something cheaper with the same sort of kick as im only 20 and my insurance plus running costs kills my wallet :(

RB 182 FF
Get a FF 182, awesome cars! :D Ive had turbo cars and much bigger N/A engined cars and my 182 is the most fun and nost exciting I have owned! Very cheap motoring for what it can do!!!!!!!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Just a few questions?

A 172 is much cheaper than a Megane on petrol, tyres, and brakes. I've found my Megane to be much more reliable than my 172 ever was but it's still more expensive to run overall. That's from my experience of doing over 20k a year though so I reckon if you do less than 10k a year you won't notice that much of a saving.

172's are really fun cars so I don't think you'd miss your 225 that much. We have meets in Portsmouth quite often so I'm sure if you come along someone will give you a passenger ride in one.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on your use for the car.

I went R26 to 182 Trophy.

The 182 is cheaper to run for everything (parts/insurance/MPG), and imo it is a more fun car to drive but if I used my car everyday then I would of kept the Megane as it is a much nicer place to sit on a commute. And it's still a bloody good hot hatch.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I personally think the R26 is more fun than a 172 but then mine is Stage 2 and it gets driven properly every single day. I thought I would miss my 172 when I sold it but haven't at all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Atouba, I think the stage 2 makes all the difference, it rally does totally transform those cars!

Without that, its basically similar speed to a 172, and a lot more expensive to run, with that though its night and day faster!

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Atouba, I think the stage 2 makes all the difference, it rally does totally transform those cars!

Without that, its basically similar speed to a 172, and a lot more expensive to run, with that though its night and day faster!

I think you're right because when I test drove a standard 225 F1 I preferred my 172. I've never owned a standard Megane as mine was Stage 2 when I bought it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think you're right because when I test drove a standard 225 F1 I preferred my 172. I've never owned a standard Megane as mine was Stage 2 when I bought it.

I cant understand why anyone would want to own a standard one when its so simple to get so much more out of them and they are still reliable.
With a 172 you have to spend fortunes to see a significant power or torque increase so not really financially viable unless you are really committed to it, but with the 225 its trivial so makes perfect sense.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
The moment I buy a Megane it would be straight down to TDF lol. It always seems greener on the other side of the fence in fairness, but I think for the money they go for now a decent Ph1 172 is the best bang for buck hatch you can buy on the market all round

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think for the money they go for now a decent Ph1 172 is the best bang for buck hatch you can buy on the market all round

I agree, especially as a complete all rounder not just a trackday car, they are so easy to live with day to day thanks to the relatively high level of comfort for a car of that value and thanks to the relatively good fuel economy for a car with that sort of performance, and then add in one of the best handling chassis in the price range you have a perfect all rounder :D

133/225/CLS AMG
im just looking for something cheaper with the same sort of kick as im only 20 and my insurance plus running costs kills my wallet :(

IF that's the case then go for a 172 mate. They still perform brilliantly and are just as grin inducing as the Meganes.

The 172 is definitely cheaper to run, without a doubt!