ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking for a bit of buying advice 182 or 172 Cup?

I am going to see a 182 tonight but just found out there is a 172 cup for sale locally so wondered what people with experience of these 2 would pick? Ive owned 5 Impreza's and Evo's so its not a power issue but I do like the idea of the Cup even though the 182 is slightly newer but both around the same money

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
i owned a 172 cup when they were new back in 2003, i loved it. if i had the choice id go for the cup, its more basic inside but the weight difference 82kg iirc makes it feel a bit quicker, i like the fact they stripped it out to improve performance a bit, plus i love the blue colour and the turinis. end of the day its down to personal preference.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Lots of variables, obviously condition first and foremost, but if they're both the same price then the 172 might be proper tidy, maybe has some expensive mods, or is just overpriced, similarly the 182 might be a dog, or may be good if the 172 is indeed overpriced, the 182 should be cheaper if it has no cup packs etc.

Got links to both cars, or any more information on either?

The 172 has lower mileage and only mod is a stainless exhaust and is very clean, the 182 has higher mileage but not silly high, only real price difference is the 182 needs tax and 2 front tyres but the Cup Blue is really nice so going to look at that first as i dont really care about Climate etc just mainly the experience

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
check when belts were last done, good service history etc, just the usual stuff. cups seem to be going for 1800-2700 dependent on condition, miles, history etc.

Both have full history but not sure on the belt being done just waiting for answers on that and ive been checking and the only thing I seem to prefer with the 182 is the seats so that might have be changed if i go for the cup

172 cup
The important thing is to buy on condition firstly, belts etc. After that it's down to personal choice really, although cup prices seem to be going up a bit compared to 182 prices falling through the floor

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Dont pay to much attention to the "all 1*2s are worth f**k all now, I got a MINTER for £1500 !" b****cks that you read on here !! the best ones are always worth paying that bit more IMO
I have owned mine from new (52 reg every invoice for everything FSH ) needs nothing doing at all , I would sooner keep it till it stops than let it go for silly money, when you look at a lot for sale you will see why its worth paying that bit more.

A lot of tired old lots of owner sheds with poor history out there now hence why values have dropped way down . If you find a genuine car always worth the extra cash.
buy on condition and history 182 or 172ff would be my choice just for the extra toys and abs .

Well I ended up with a 172 Cup and it feels like a bloody go kart lol so wondered what should be the first mods? Its got a janspeed centre and rear already but everything else is standard

Cant just enjoy it lol all ive done for 5 years is buy parts to modify imprezas now i cant just stop lol anyway the lad i bought it off was desperate to sell as he was moving house so i managed to save a few hundred just to start playing with

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If you have been modifying impreza's your going to be in for a shock or not as the case maybe with how little your money goes chasing gains. If it was me, decent tyres, suspension, brakes, rear arb, induction kit. All IMO

Yeah I know the power gains are not going to be great without silly money but in general other parts i.e brakes and suspension is so cheap on these it would be a crime not to treat the old girl to some new stuff. I still have but soon selling a 380bhp impreza so i didnt buy the clio looking or massive power just fun with more economy and for a change its going to be more about modding for looks and handling rather than just pure power so looking forward to it