ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking for a cheap track car

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
clio172020_zps783f24cf.gif

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I was looking to do the same so i bought a cheap phase 2 knowing i'd replace everything that needed to be! Then another phase 2 came up near me in monaco blue with blown gearbox. So i bought it to build the better car. Then
I bought this car last week. But now the phase 2's have got to go!
Good luck with you're search

BMW M4; S1000 RR
To be honest mate, you can't go wrong with any of them. Even if you ended up with a Ph2 172, it's not a slow car, and once you've stripped it out it will be the same sort of weight as a stripped out 172 Cup (plus aircon/ABS).

Just go with the cheapest good condition (mechanically) one you can find near you.

PS why does it need to be road legal out of interest? If it's only going to be used on tracks you could just hire a tow truck (about £110 for the day) to get it there and back which I'm betting would be cheaper for you than keeping it taxed and insured throughout the year.

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mine is taxed and insured for road use too. I can afford it as its not a bad price. Me personaly would find that alot easier than hiring a tow truck etc.

Listerine & Poledo
Nobody yet to state the obvious?

Mk.1 MX-5
Pick one up for about £700. Slap new tyres, discs pads and brake fluid in (about £400) and you're away. If you get an imported one it'll probably have a limited diff. in there too.
No traction control, rear-drive, enough power to have you fish-tailing out of most corners.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not saying it's the only way to do it, but once you've taken into account tax/insurance (easy £600 a year for me on a 172) and faffing about with fitting a cat for MOT time it would be less hassle to just get a 3.5T truck delivered to your door, hitch the car on the back, throw any spare parts etc in the car and then have a comfy drive to the track.

Im 36 insuring it wont be an issue, Id like to use it every so often to go to work in just to keep it moving but most importantly it'll live on the street outside my house.

I had an MX5 a couple of years ago, loved it, did a lot too it but under powered

1f909478.jpg

1961314e.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Im 36 insuring it wont be an issue, Id like to use it every so often to go to work in just to keep it moving but most importantly it'll live on the street outside my house.

I had an MX5 a couple of years ago, loved it, did a lot too it but under powered

It's funny when I saw your thread title of cheap track toy my head immediately thought MX5. Could have just got a turbo for it ;)

I meant cheap as in, not a lot of money but it's a false economy, looks battered and needs an engine by the time you do that and everything else you'd easily buy a much nicer car to start with