ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

looking to buy a hifi for my room...

Civic Type -R FN2
im completly new to hifi's. Now im going to go for B + W speakers as my mate has some and i thought the sound quality was amazing. I have no idea about amps thought. Im not looking at spending a fortune so i was wondering what you would suggest?

thanks tom

M

mij29

Go on richersounds.co.uk and you will need is there and very well priced.
If you just wan't it for music not a home cinema then don't bther with a pro logic 1, just make sure it's around 100 watts per channel, that's more than enough to blow the roof off.

R35 GTR
For good sound quality, go for a decent 2 channel amp with no frills. Just a volume control.

B+W are a very good choice.

Depending on how much you have to spend, richersounds should be ok for most hifi needs. If you have thousands to spend then go else where.

I recommend reading through some what hifi magazines and visiting a few shops to audition your setup, before you go to richer sounds and buy it cheap.

M

mij29

^^^^^^^^^
now that is good advice.
Ive got technics and just up graded my speakers to floor standers that are 3way.
100 watts each and they were from R/sounds. should be £189, paid £89.
sound the balls!

Civic Type -R FN2
can anyone link to an amp that they suggest cause i really dont ahve a clue, and would you recommend getting the amp new or used?

R35 GTR
RuFF21 said:
can anyone link to an amp that they suggest cause i really dont ahve a clue, and would you recommend getting the amp new or used?

you are best off just going to a hifi shop and listening to them with whatever speakers you want.

It is absolutely no good buying something because someone else thinks its a great model.

If you want to start some where, I recommend the meridian cd players, can get them for around £500 on ebay.

I stopped my hifi hobby, as I started listening to mp3, if you are planning to do the same, I dont think you should invest loads into a system.

R35 GTR
Oh, and if you can buy a decent mains power filter, it makes a difference to the sound quality, imo.

I made my own, and was very surprised.

M

mij29

Dave3141 said:
Oh, and if you can buy a decent mains power filter, it makes a difference to the sound quality, imo.

I made my own, and was very surprised.

Havent heard of them. What do they do?

R35 GTR
mij29 said:
Havent heard of them. What do they do?

Filters any noise out of the supply, like noise from electrical appliances, spikes in power, stuff like that.

Very technical explanation i know.lol.

M

mij29

RuFF21 said:

Any 1 can link a amp. if you can set your PS2 or x-box you can do that.

Civic Type -R FN2
^ lol

think i will be going used then, didnt realise how much amps were, i will probably get new speakers as i dont want overused ones really...

and it mainly for music, the input will be from my pc and cds

R35 GTR
RuFF21 said:
^ lol

think i will be going used then, didnt realise how much amps were, i will probably get new speakers as i dont want overused ones really...

and it mainly for music, the input will be from my pc and cds

for pc, just get something like my current setup. Home cinema amp and 5 speaker surround sound.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99267&highlight=surround

buy it off me before i get another projector....it was such good fun when i had the room.:(

172 mk2 Iceberg
just get good speakers
up to 10 percent distortion is created by the speakers
all of the other componets are good these days