ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to buy a new lens

Citroen DS3 DSport
I've seen 2 lenses which are grabbing my attention, thinking of buying one of them and looking for advice here on what would be the most useful.

I currently have a Sony 18-55mm kit lens, Sony 50mm f1.8, Sony 55-200mm and a Minolta 70-210mm f4 'Beercan'.

The 2 lenses I am trying to decide between are a Minolta 35-70mm f4 and a Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super Wide II.

Which, if any, do you think would compliment my existing lenses enough to consider buying?

I appreciate we don't have many Sony Alpha fans in this forum but I'm sure you can offer general lens advice :)

Well I wouldn't say 24mm was 'super wide' really.

What do you take pictures of mostly? You're fairly well covered.

Do Sigma do a 10-20mm for the Sony fit?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I would go for the 24mm wide lens mate, your not going to benefit much from the 35-70 imo. It also depends what sort of photography your in to but I think the wide angle would compliment your collection the best.

What sony aplha body do you have ?

I have just got a minolta 50mm f1.7 for my a500 and I am in love :D

Oil Burner
Without really knowing either of these lenses i couldnt comment specifically. Personally i think a 24mm f2.8 would be more fun. However if you give us a price your looking to spend we might be able to make some suggestions.

For example a Super Wide angle like the 10-20mm Sigma.

*edit - i like how in tune we all are lol

Citroen DS3 DSport
Both are for sale secondhand but I've spent enough this month already so will only buy one. I think the 24mm f2.8 is probably the most useful as on my Sony a450 that will equate to 36mm which should prove handy for indoor photography.

I know 24mm is not really super wide but that is simply the name of the lens.

I think the 24mm f2.8 is probably the most useful as on my Sony a450 that will equate to 36mm which should prove handy for indoor photography.

Really? 36mm isnt very wide at all. So I thought that would be pretty limited indoors. It seems more of a focal length for landscape work to me.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'll eventually buy a fast wide lens but for now the 24mm should be suitable for individual photos of people in low light indoor situations. Time will tell but if not I will have plenty of other uses for it. I don't class 24mm as wide.