ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to give my 1.4 16v a good service

ph2 172
I'm after a bit of advice on servicing my clio. She's got 84k on the clock now and I think she needs a freshen up! So far on my to do it:

Change the oil (what is a good oil to use?)
Flush out the coolant system and put some new coolant in there
Change the plugs
Clean out the throttle body
Polybush the gearbox mount (not sure on what to buy)

I'm looking for what parts you recommend?
and any more ideas or things I should be doing to unleash some of those existing horses it had when new?

It had the belts done 11 months ago, but how can I check my timing is what it should be?

Thanks
James

Change the oil (what is a good oil to use?)

Engine oil have a look how you use the car 5-40 is a good choice any fully synthetic. No need to pay for racing stuff if your not going to use it and its better to chnage it more often with decient normal stuff than leave racing oils in for longer

Flush out the coolant system and put some new coolant in there

Renault type D coolent 5 liters is what you'll need

Change the plugs

Clean out the throttle body

No huge need to if there not an issue

Polybush the gearbox mount (not sure on what to buy)

Dont bother IMO just use a new Renault mount, poly bush are loved on here but few think of the reason renault don't use them or know the problems with them.

I'm looking for what parts you recommend?
Change the gearbox oil as well IMO. 75/90 is what is supposed to be used use some very good named stuff or renauklts own as thats good stuff.

Do a normal full service so check brakes front and back and fully bleed the brake system and use some good brake fluid I use castol super dot 4 response good stuff and not that expensive

Dont worry about the timing if its been done with the right toolls etc its fine you could check but why?

ph2 172
Thanks for the replies!

Car is used every day and driven hard once a week.

The throttle body is a bit slow to respond (its drive by wire) so a clean out might improve it.

There is a fair bit of movement in the box/engine, the top mount looks tight and fairly new. Is the standard renault item stiff enough to stop most of this movement?

No idea where to start with changing gearbox oil will have a flick through my haynes manual :)

Brakes are spot on! just adjusted my hand brake all works well :) i love clio brakes!

I've read a lot about garages not timing up the engine properly, and i have no idea what a normal 1.4 should feel like, so checking the timing would be the only way to see.

The throttle body is a bit slow to respond (its drive by wire) so a clean out might improve it.

There is a fair bit of movement in the box/engine, the top mount looks tight and fairly new. Is the standard renault item stiff enough to stop most of this movement?

No idea where to start with changing gearbox oil will have a flick through my haynes manual
Brakes are spot on! just adjusted my hand brake all works well i love clio brakes!

I've read a lot about garages not timing up the engine properly, and i have no idea what a normal 1.4 should feel like, so checking the timing would be the only way to see.
So long as your not on track I'd not put much value in the race oils then so use some decient fully synthetic and change it often.

Clean the throttle body yep might help but if its realy slow might be the motor in the body itself

Standard mount are designed to stop enough movment stiuffer ones stop even more but at the cost of other items. Imagine what the ride would be like in your car with no tyres. The tyrres for the engine are those mount they help soften the impact on the car and accilaries. The bottom mount does wear just change for a new one IMO.

Gearbox oil is easy there a guide on here I belive. Otherwsie look at the bottom of the gearbox there another drain plug for an 8mm square socket like the engine oil. Undo this and drop the oil out. The refill is facing the front of the car about half way down the box. Its difficult to get a picture the hayens might help I forget. It faces the radiator and is like a buttlerfly head on it. You put the plug back in the gearbox with a new washer (10p from renault don't resuse) and then when the cars level fill the gearbox up till you can get no more in the box/it doesn't come out). filling it can be a pain there a few ways use a funnel and a long pipe. It takes 3.5 liters ish.

Bleed the brakes though you'd often be suprised how much air is in there over time and don't use 5.1. Brakes are good though they were over speced for the car.

As for the timing if you havn't had problem don't worry you could check it but have a look in the haynes its a fair bit of work and some tools (be careful DIYing without the tools)

Vivaro van
Check over disc & pad wear
Replace fuel filter
Check rubber boots (balljoints/CV boots/etc) for wear or splitting
Dont think the fuel filter is changable without problems, its in the fuel pump and i think i read on here somewhere it causes problems or something

Dont think the fuel filter is changable without problems, its in the fuel pump and i think i read on here somewhere it causes problems or something
Your right the fuel pump/filter is in the fuel tank its only touched at 150k.

ph2 172
I've ended up buying
Valvoline Engine OilSynpower Fully-Synthetic 5W40 Engine Oil
Bosch Oil Filter
Bosch Spark Plugs - Super 4
Lower Engine Mount
Valvoline Valvoline HP PC Gear Oil 75W80

£90 from euro car parts with 25% discount code and free delivery!

Need to go to Renault for:
Type D coolant
engine sump plug washer
gearbox plug washer