ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lot's of short journeys - AMATEUR

Clio 182
Hi All

Question from an amateur...in car mechanics in general and Clio Sports. But im learning thanks to this forum hence my recent Membership and becoming more and more of a petrol head.

I have a Cup 182 and I do the daily commute to London for work which means I only use my car to drive to the train station and back, the distance from my house to the train station is prob about 3 miles. I have been thinking surely all these short journeys are bad for the car in some way? I mean with this cold weather her oil temp has only just reached its max when im parking up...I start to find an excuse to travel long journeys at the weekend to give it a proper blow out...but there is only so many places you can visit lol

Over all...are these constant short journeys bad for my car and how bad?

Cheers

Leam

RB 182
Excessive short journeys with a cold engine will make your oil become more diluted with petrol which will degrade it faster so just change the oil more frequently.

you may even see some milky coffee sludg under your oil filler cap, if this happens take the car for a long drive somewhere to get rid of it. Check if you get the sludge on your dipstick because if you do it could be a head gasket problem mate.

Traffic lights permitting my daily commute is under 10 minutes. In the depths of winter the temperature needle barely moves before I'm switching it off. Probably not ideal but it seems to be managing just fine so far. I'm just careful with the revs and give it a proper run at least once a week - Not least to give the battery a chance to charge up.