ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lotus Trophy - Anglesey

Turbos.
Don't suppose any of the CS resident photographers were at Anglesey this weekend?

Sadly i couldn't attend, so it was my dad on his own for the two races. He qualified 2nd, but managed to stall it on the line! After everyone overtook him, he managed to pass 27 cars to reclaim second by the finish, just 0.4 seconds adrift from the leader!

He seemed to be his own worst enemy for the second race too, but this time went one better and got 1st! We were in the Invitation class because we have some items not allowed, but even so, we beat all Honda'd cars so could argue we have the quickest Elise/Exige in the country :approve:

Here is a (sort of) write up and some photos. If anyone has any more, i'd appreciate you posting them!
http://www.lotus-central.com/index.php/en/news/211-elise-trophy-anglesey.html

ang5.jpg

ang6.jpg

ang2.jpg

ang1.jpg

172 Race Car
^ looks like an RC car, Lol

I'll have to come along and see you two race sometime, always enjoy your reports

Cupra
Love these updates. The report reminds me of that old vid of the lotus tearing through the entire grid with huge skills/ balls to come out in front.

Turbos.
I had to go to the missus' art exhibition, got to do my duty occasionally!

I'm not sure on the specifics. The central seat is an obvious one, and for some reason you have to have a glass screen whilst ours is perspex. I imagine our car was lighter than the others, but then is somewhat lacking in torque compared to Duratec and Audi powered cars.

With Britcar being our main series, we won't compromise the car for the Lotus Trophy. There is also the AMOC Super GT series which is more or less unlimited, will be interesting taking on mad powered TVRs with Chevy power and a Caparo!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI
I was watching your old man on motors TV the other day - Britcar at silverstone! Car seems to be going well Rob! Is the reliability getting any better?

Turbos.
Cheers Mark.

Well, the engine seems to be OK now. Last season we had a few engine failures but in fairness to the k-series, this was as much down to abuse (over-revving) as it was the engine's inherent problems.

The gearbox will probably always be an issue, but each time something happens, the team re-engineer the component. Lotus supremo Gavin Kershaw has 'been there, done that' with the one he had, so he's giving us a few tips too.

The race i was involved in was a retirement due to alternator failure. This was a concern because we have done a lot to a) improve the alternator's threshold and b) keep the engine bay cool so it didn't blow up. Turns out the new loom (ironically chosen for reliability) caused the problem.

So... i doubt it will ever be 100% reliable but we have hopefully got to a stage where at least any problem should now be fairly minor.

Clio IV 0,9 Tce
I had to go to the missus' art exhibition, got to do my duty occasionally!

I'm not sure on the specifics. The central seat is an obvious one, and for some reason you have to have a glass screen whilst ours is perspex. I imagine our car was lighter than the others, but then is somewhat lacking in torque compared to Duratec and Audi powered cars.

With Britcar being our main series, we won't compromise the car for the Lotus Trophy. There is also the AMOC Super GT series which is more or less unlimited, will be interesting taking on mad powered TVRs with Chevy power and a Caparo!

Got any pictures of the centre seating?

I was there on the VdeV/Speed stuff. Spent a good few hours on Friday night sorting out a dodgy speed sensor on the IF Motorsport car - fabrication in the back of the truck always good!

Did see your screen make a bid for freedom at one point!

Cheers
M

Turbos.
LOL, yeah the screen popped out! Fortunately it survived without major damaged... How did the car you look after get on?

Sorry Tom, don't get what you mean? My dad drove alone at Anglesey.

Not bad at all. We were there as general support for the VdeV/Speed buys running Pi/Pectel kit so no favourites. Pi/Pectel teams were 1st, 2nd and 3rd though ;-)

Glad your Dad got on well. That red Audi powered Exige is pretty nippy isn't it..... soon to be on an SQ6 :)

Cheers
M

Turbos.
No, its easy for the Elise because its so simple inside! You simply flip the rack over and then re-route gearbox cables. All of the Motorsport cars were central seat original.

I think the honest reason they did it was a marketing one. It gave the car a bit more of a race look, but you're right, it obviously helps balance too.

P1050930.jpg

I think you need our D2 in there chap, with 20hz GPS for sector times :) Much nicer than the Stack system. Could even do steering wheel mounted shift lights if required.

OmegaDashCutOut-Smooth-01.jpg

Cheers
M

Turbos.
Very nice!

I'll probably have a chat with you when the NSX gets further down the road as the engine builder favours Pectel as i mentioned a little while back. When it comes to the Elise, my dad is trying to cut back on costs! Already spent an eye watering amount on it.

Very nice!

I'll probably have a chat with you when the NSX gets further down the road as the engine builder favours Pectel as i mentioned a little while back. When it comes to the Elise, my dad is trying to cut back on costs! Already spent an eye watering amount on it.

Dave has a long standing relationship with us stemming from the Nissan Touring Car days. Very good chap and a very, very talented engine builder!

You can tell just by looking at the Elise that a lot of time, effort and money has gone into it but then again its a quality job and it shows. I was very impressed with it at Anglesey, humble K Series mixing it with the Audi and Honda powered entries!!

A D2 Dash with 5Hz GPS, a pressure and temp sensor and a few other bits is £1500 so not as pricey as most people think!

Cheers
M

Ian

Focus TDCi
Need to get back to this circuit, used to live near it at the weekends and there were some great fun races to watch there. Kinda place you get sunburnt without realising it too lol. Well done to your dad for the results, sounds like a decent race. :)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
I dont live to far from Anglesey, but there wasnt anything advertised for this ffs,

do you kno when the next one is ?