ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low idle....renault opinion...

Hmmm ok have posted briefly about this before but bit of an update now!!

A few months ago I think after fitting my induction kit I noticed my idle speed was 400rpm, engine idling quite lumpy almost skipping every few seconds.

Removed induction kit and it made no difference idle stayed at 400rpm, took in for service and renault said nothing wrong with it.

Apparently its a lean engine and designed to run like that??!!

wtf? is this right? can it possibly be correct that the engine is sipposed to skip a beat every few seconds? Or is this another case of muppet renault service centre staff.

Ph-Sold!

Renault said same thing about mine too, although sometimes at 1000rpm it normally sits about 500ish and occasionally seems to stumble at bit.

[Edited by Timmy! on 28 September 2004 at 9:31pm]

My highest idle was 1500rpm and my lowest was 300 before the engine cut out on me. I could sense it was going to die on me. Car is only 6 months old and under 5000 miles. Renault are great cars but cant they make them a little better?

Ta, Andy

The rpm at idle can change it depends on a few factors ie battery power being low increases it a bit ccol running etc.

The RPM should be between 700 and 800rpm when warm with no aircon tell your dealership to get it checked out the ecu should compensate by using its torque sequence calcualtion (air/advance) in oder to compensate.

Aircon increases rpm by 100.

They just say that due to instabilities in the engine in performance engines, you will experience erratic idle speeds...this is normal operation so they wont do anything apart from reload injection software or update it to the latest version. Try asking them why it sounds like a tractor and see what response you get.

yeah u c after id reved the mailto:b@llocks">b@llocks off mine it used 2 cut out when idlin. never found out what was wrong wit it but we increased the idle n now it takes ages 4 it 2 return 2 normal. i got a mk1 diet engine. not sure what u lot got

Get it back to Renault and tell them o fix it.

If the rpm was between 650 and 850 Id deem acceptable and a slighlt uneven idle due to the emmisions mapping.

It might be loads of things the 1.2 has a folder of problem.

Try the spark plugs first these seem to wear out quick but Renault know about all these problem and will fix it under warently.

Try another dealership.

Engines not lan if anyhting its overfusl.

Although between idle and 3700rpm the car runs a variable mapping and constently checks exhaust emmisions and adjusts the fueling so there no problem the computer should adjust the fueling. IE it wont run lean uto 3700 so long as its not got loads of mods ie head work, cams etc.

Camel

Had an idle problem on mine got it digagnosed as faulty lambda probe, lost alot of bhp through this got it replaced and got my bhp back

The rev counter is not accurate at idle..

They normally show around 500 on the counter but they are actually idling at 750ish..

If you are still suffering lumpy idle, then try

1: a set of plugs

2: or the Injection Comp may need reprogramming (there is a Tech Solution available to cure rough idle and/or stalling)

3: worst case a new throttle body