ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low oil pressure

Hi,

this morning Ive got a prob with the oil pressure manometer which reports a max of 3-3.5 Psi, was 5-6Psi at higher engine Rpm, but the prob doesnt seems to be related to the manometer, infat the pointer rise as rise the RPM but only up to 3-3.5Psi.

What do you think about? any idea?

Thanx in advance for your support,

Adriano

Not sure about, coz this morning the oil level was fine, but Ill re-check it in the afternoon, Im thinking to a possible oil pump prob :(

Adriano

well, how do i know, he said PSI!

the gauge even says BAR on it!

and at what temp?

at idle it should be 1bar, at 3500rpm it should be 3 bar.......all at 80C

when cold, its normal to see it hovering around the 6 bar line.

Sorry mate my mistake,I wanted to say Bar and not Psi.

Oil temp is around 100 degree C (as always in the last 9 years) with an ambient temp around 30C.

Adriano

Well, oil level is right, just checked at cold, but I noted which the oil pressure go up to 6 Bar when the engine is cold, but after a while the oil pressure wont go above 3.5-4 Bar even if at high RPM!??? so it seems to be something related to sensors, what do you think about?

Thanx,

Adriano

mine wont really run above 4bar when its hot no matter the RPM.......i run Mobil 1 15w50 and it run extreemly hot, i might have to try a diff oil as it holds great pressure when at normal temps.

i tried that mobile 1 15w50 and it was running very hot ! ive now changed to total quartz 10w40 and it doesnt get as hot ...

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 24 July 2003

mine wont really run above 4bar when its hot no matter the RPM.......i run Mobil 1 15w50 and it run extreemly hot, i might have to try a diff oil as it holds great pressure when at normal temps.
Uhmm..

Thats really strange which on your Clio at higher temps the oil pressure wont go above 4 Bar even if at higher Rpm, infact on my Clio, got brand new 9 years ago, it went up to 6 Bar at higher Rpm till yesterday moning!??

Onestly for the past 100K Km I always used Castrol RS, only last time Shell, so it can be the oil, but I did it just 8000Km and everything was fine with the pressure, so I really dont understand the reason!?

If its warm you wont be getting the guage to max out as the oil thins out when hot and so pressure drops. These pressures are fine when engine is warm, you would not want 6 bar when the oil is hot as it will find ways out of the engine when that thin at that pressure.

im talking 120 deg C+ though...........

well, its not holding pressure as well as i would like TBH.

So basically it seems to be right, coz the oil temp is in the 100-120c range, even if I continue to dont understand why was different in the past using a very good oil as Castrol RS, in anyway in the next days Ill change oil and filter considering the mileage, and Ill let you know the results.

Thank you very much for your support,

Adriano ;)