ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low Power 172’s

thought i would post here as no-one else seems to have been bothered by Roamers findings

the standard injectors on the RenaultSport Clio 172 are rated to 42bhp (i think that is right, correct me if im wrong roamer)

with 4 injectors this equates to 168bhp, under a 100% loading, as most know, injectors work better when running at around 80%, which would explain why not many people have hit the magical mark of 172bhp (or 169bhp which it should be)

i think, to vastly improve the performance of the 172 changing the injectors to 55bhp (or around that mark) injectors would be a good place to start, this would make the injectors much more efficient, and possible even improve power

just a little thought of mine

let me know your views below

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

My god, your right.

if ya fit 300bhp injectors would ya get 1200 bhp?

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 19 August 2003My god, your right.if ya fit 300bhp injectors would ya get 1200 bhp?

lets not be silly now tom

you know what i mean

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

course i do can you mod injectors?

Youd need a new fuel pump too

no i know, i use netscape and occasionally it does that

edited now

though it doesnt look right anymore :(

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Its alright it does that for me in linux too.. its just dodgy code thats all..

As much as I would like to believe it I just cant bring myself to believe that renault would go to all the trouble of tuning this engine and forget to put injectors in that are up to the job..

ok, just to correct the standard injectors are Peco 042s rated at 52bhp, Ive gone upto the Peco 043s rated at 75bhp, now you cant just swap them cos youll just overfuel as far as Im aware (Not a concern as Im getting a completely new mapped ecu :D)

you will overfuel running off closed loop with higer flow injectors, simple.

But ren didnt go and fit injecotrs that couldnt supply, they are fine for the std application.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Okay so the god has spoken.. but..

What your saying is if you wanted to you could fit Peco 043s and get your ecu reprogrammed to alter the fueling so that it was putting out the same amount of fuel ?

Just a theoretical question.. obviously it wouldnt make any difference if it did.

erm why will you over fuel on larger injectors ??? the fuel aint controlled by them is it just injected

isnt it like a straw v a drain pipe

straw can flow 1 litre the drain pipe 5

so you force 1 lite of water down straw it can do it but no more the drain pipe can take the 1 litre and 4 more if need be but it will only do that if you pour more water down it.

isnt the fuel a mesured amount ?? controlled by the ecu ??? so you could fit a drain pipe instead of the standard straws if you wanted

if im wrong im wrong please dont shout :)

VW Potato

"with 4 injectors this equates to 168bhp, under a 100% loading, as most know, injectors work better when running at around 80%, which would explain why not many people have hit the magical mark of 172bhp (or 169bhp which it should be)"

explain? - if injectors work best when running at 80%, and provide 168bhp at 100%, how does that explain why were not hitting 169bhp?

(Im not a techie, so pls go easy on the answer).

g

The ecu controls the duration of opening on the injector, and therefore in the same duration more fuel is injected.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

so if you compensated by increasing the air flow = more power with stock ecu?

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 19 August 2003

Okay so the god has spoken.. but..

What your saying is if you wanted to you could fit Peco 043s and get your ecu reprogrammed to alter the fueling so that it was putting out the same amount of fuel ?

Just a theoretical question.. obviously it wouldnt make any difference if it did.

Yes........

Quote: Originally posted by Scudetto on 19 August 2003

"with 4 injectors this equates to 168bhp, under a 100% loading, as most know, injectors work better when running at around 80%, which would explain why not many people have hit the magical mark of 172bhp (or 169bhp which it should be)"

explain? - if injectors work best when running at 80%, and provide 168bhp at 100%, how does that explain why were not hitting 169bhp?

(Im not a techie, so pls go easy on the answer).

g
4x52 = 210

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 19 August 2003

erm why will you over fuel on larger injectors ??? the fuel aint controlled by them is it just injected

isnt it like a straw v a drain pipe

straw can flow 1 litre the drain pipe 5

so you force 1 lite of water down straw it can do it but no more the drain pipe can take the 1 litre and 4 more if need be but it will only do that if you pour more water down it.

isnt the fuel a mesured amount ?? controlled by the ecu ??? so you could fit a drain pipe instead of the standard straws if you wanted

if im wrong im wrong please dont shout :)

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ;)

Simply put, no.

The ecu control the amount of fuel injected yes, true. But it uses the injector as the metering device. When open all the time 100% duty it flows the 52bhps worth of fuel (in ltrs/min, gallons/hr or whatever rate you care to use) at a specified pressure, 3 bar in this case.

The injector supplies current to the injector which opens. The ECU controls fuel flow through opening the injector for known periods of time. So the time period the injector is open replates directly to how much fuel is injected.

Its not simply a nozzle, its the valve too......the ECU just opens and closes this valve.

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 19 August 2003

anyway i thought injectors were rated in cc not bhp oh and colour
they are, CC/min @ X Bar/psi

But using BHP is just as easy as its roughly 1/2 pint/bhp/hr

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

and if the other injectors were used at 80%

240bhp? providing you could alter the tb to allow enough air in??

(dont shout again)

208 / 100 * 80 =

166.4 BHP if running at 80% theoretically.
TADA!!!

and you know what, they come with 166bhp (are meant to). Didnt i say all this about a yr or so ago?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

So does that mean if you want more power, and you manage to get a bit more air in.. you would deffinatly need a re-map ? or should the ecu up the load on the injectors to cope automagically ?

Because if not you would deffinatly be running lean cause the injectors just wouldnt be supplying the right mix.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 19 August 2003

so if you compensated by increasing the air flow = more power with stock ecu?
Ahhhhhh, now toms thinking!

Your just about on the basis of making power, the single thing you concentrate on. Air.........simple.

Fuel holds the energy, simple.......but needs air and heat to burn. So supplying fuel is deal simple, as is igniting it. But air.........supplying air, now thats the complicated part.

The more air you can get in, the more fuel you can burn, the more fuel you burn, the more power you make, simple.

All about processing air.

But on a mass produced engine, you have emissions (most influential factors nowadays) to meet, cost, comfort, size etc etc to think about.

And the secret to all power production, the cylinder head. Same head on a 1.6 block will provide the same power as the same head on a 2ltr block, the 1.6 will just need to run more rpm to process the same amount of air thats all.

Cams, TBs, exhaust systems, are all just efficiency control methods.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

im confused.. :confused:

I thought there was only so much air/fuel you could push into a cylinder without going bigger ?

So does that mean if you want more power, and you manage to get a bit more air in.. you would deffinatly need a re-map ? or should the ecu up the load on the injectors to cope automagically ?

Because if not you would deffinatly be running lean cause the injectors just wouldnt be supplying the right mix.

Yup, aupply more air and dont correct the fueling youll run lean. The ECU does not alter the fueling or compensate at WOT, its not a fully open loop system, its only controlled when running closed.

I thought there was only so much air/fuel you could push into a cylinder without going bigger ?
There is, volumetric efficiency.....max is 100%

SO a 200cc cylinder can only hold 200cc at 100% VE. BUT, itll make twice the power at 10,000rpm than at 5000rpm as long as you can hold the 100% VE which is the hard part and the reason wild cam profiles loose out at low rpm, because they are designed to achieve higest posible VE at high rpm.

But typically the F4R730 at peak power is running about 86% VE IIRC. then it tails off and you might as well shift up.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 19 August 2003

why? bikes with half the 172 capacity can produce as much and more bhp then you get torque issues do you not?

sommat about cylinder filling and something else to do with revs
Ye I knew bikes could produce a lot more power than bigger engined cars.. I just didnt put 2 and 2 together to realise it was because bikes could rev 10K+ thereby allowing more air in etc..

hehe this is what i like a real post thank you roamer and ben i know most of this stuff just needed a few points clearing up hehe ta so so much :)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yep its not my field either..(can you tell)

Now when it comes to braking system and whether bigger brakes make any differnce to stopping distances, its a different story ;)