ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lower balljoint help please

Hi, after finally finding the problem to my suspension problem , lower ball joint excessive play, i would like to know if i can do the job without disconecting the ARB end bolt and bush , the haynes manual states the first job is to remove the ARB bolt and bushes but i believe they can be a pain to refit,however the rest of the job looks straight forward . I have the parts ready for fitting and before i start i thought i would see if any one as done this without moving the ARB , car is a mk11 04 1.5dci . any help would be apreciated.Thanks

Yes you can.

Put the car on axle stands and remove wheels.

You can then remove the 2 bolts that hold the ball join to the wishbone, followed by the pinch bolt holding the ball joint to the hub.

Easy job really.

Thanks , managed to get it sorted, i did have a slight problem gettiing the joint out of the hub. I replaced the pinch bolt which was a bit worn ,renault charged me £8 for the nut and bolt , i thought he was joking when he said it but no £8 it was.

Focus RS + S3
ouch, my mate paid £7 ish with the VAT for one from a local motor factors, which came with 3 new bolts, i honestly didnt believe him until he showed me the reciept

Megane 225 F1
Hi,

I have an 05 plate 182, and need to replace both lower balljoints. One is so bad it's made the inside of the tyre completely bald!

I remember doing this job on my old 172 CUP, and it was a bit of a pig (though I believe should be a quick job!).

Problem was when I had it on axle stands, and detached the two bolts holing the balljoint to the hub arm and then the other bolt, i found the suspension or anti roll bar pushes so hard down on the hub arm that it's almost impossible to attach the new balljoint!? All the time, the driveshaft is keen to come out of its socket!

WHat is the best way to do this?
I read somehwere to do it on ramps not axle stands, that would definatley mean the suspension remained compressed, and the ARB also, but i'm worried that would encourage the driveshaft to pop out even more, and cause damage with the weight of the car on the ground.

Thanks!

Justin

E46 M3
How on earth would you do it on ramps?

Anyway you just need to get creative with a jack to push up whichever bits you need to.