ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering a Mk2 Ph2 1.4

Ok, I know this is a repost but I looked aimlessly through the search section nobody names there posts properley so all I could find was 'Lowering..' and it was always what I didnt want lol

So here it is, My budget is about £200/£300. want to lower my car 40mm on 16" alloys but don't know whether Coileys would be worth it should I just stick to buying Springs. Want to save money but at the same time don't want to buy some suspension that is gonna be poo at handling and ride quality.

Cheers, Adam

Audi TT 3.2 V6
how about going for middle ground then...upgraded shocks and springs? im pretty sure you can get a setup for around the £300 mark.

Are you sure you dont wana go 60mm? alot of people go 40 then end up dropping it further to 60 as it gives the car a much more aggressive stance imo

TT
i had springs on same style car, i thought it worked well, obviously i cant compare with coils and full kits, but i was happy how mine had improved ride quality and handling, and it looked pretty low too, looked good.

Im selling my springs mind so pm me if your interested. only selling cause im selling the car, but lowering was definatly the best mod i made.

how about going for middle ground then...upgraded shocks and springs? im pretty sure you can get a setup for around the £300 mark.

Are you sure you dont wana go 60mm? alot of people go 40 then end up dropping it further to 60 as it gives the car a much more aggressive stance imo

Is 60mm inside the arch and 40mm just below it iirc, I want it to be just below, so it looks lower but I can still go over speed bumps at 5+ mph. where would be the best place to buy upgraded shocks and springs?

i had springs on same style car, i thought it worked well, obviously i cant compare with coils and full kits, but i was happy how mine had improved ride quality and handling, and it looked pretty low too, looked good.

Im selling my springs mind so pm me if your interested. only selling cause im selling the car, but lowering was definatly the best mod i made.

Thanks mate but I would rather buy brand new springs, It just makes me feel better in my car that they are new and unused.

Scenic mk1 (F3R)
i had 60mm on a 1.2 same shape and they were spot on just below the arch and i used to be able to go over speed bumps at 15-20mph

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
60mm is the minimum id go for, 40mm doesnt even look lowered from some angles!

i had an apex -60mm kit on mine before the coilovers and speedbumps were fine, never affected me i could get anywhere without problems, exhaust didnt even catch anything.

you could save money and just stick a set of springs on your standard shocks but they wont last too long, if your going 40-60mm lower.

you could get a full kit such as the Apex kit which is VERY highly recomended on here, £280 from k-tec i think, some places can do it cheaper.

or you could get a set of springs and shocks that are well matched such as Koni adjustable shocks and Eibach springs.

or you could go all out and spash £400-£600 on a set of FK coilovers depending if you just want adjustable ride height or adjustable damping too!

02 Clio Extreme
  BMW M135i
Apex 40mm Kit

4.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

It looks lower in the metal than it does on the pics I take for some reason. And its settled more now as those were taken just after i'd fitted the kit. I'm perfectly happy with 40mm, wouldn't go any lower personally.

cheers bmh.01, pics look sweet. How does your car handle now and also how is that IK you bourght off Manback? :p really want to buy one but for the £150 smackersouw ld preffer to find one on ebay on here... you thinkin of sellin anytime soon lol

Adam

BMW M135i
cheers bmh.01, pics look sweet. How does your car handle now and also how is that IK you bourght off Manback? :p really want to buy one but for the £150 smackersouw ld preffer to find one on ebay on here... you thinkin of sellin anytime soon lol

Adam

Handling is definetly improved over standard, not to coilover level but it definetely tightens it up a lot and it loves to tripod round a nice tight corner. Wasn't that much better at first but it improved vastely as the springs bedded in.
The downside is obviously the rather stiff ride you get with the apex kit, but I put up with it for the prosides I don't even notice it anymore.

The IK is A1, even better now i've cleaned and serviced the filter. No chance of selling yet! Took me long enough to find one that wasn't 150 notes so i'll be holding on to this one for a while yet methinks :). That noise still hasn't got boring yet :evil:.

haha mint mate, I so want one after hearing the noise it makes from your beast. what other kits would be best then for handling and comfort? I was also thinking of going 60mm going off what alot of people have said about it not scrubbing and going over bumps is sweet.

Adam

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Hi jess, im just awaiting my account approval on ssa, any chance in the mean time you could make a post for me in the price section asking what brand the £180 ssa suspension is plz?