ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LSDs

ValverInBits
I'm trying to do a bit of research into limited slip diffs.
It's actually going to be for a 02J VAG 'box, but that's not too relevant at this stage.

As i understand it there are 2 types, ATB (auto torque biasing) and Plate (clutch).

The ATBs use some clever gears and never actually "lock". - I'm told these are bad IF they let go (if one wheel starts spinning much quicker than other) as they won't fight it.
I know Quaiffe make these, who else?

Then theres plate diffs. These essentially use a clutch between N/S and O/S to regulate slip at all times, regardless of any input - is that true or are they sensitive to some input?
As i understand it, these are generally cheaper, better for track, and quite a handfull on tight corners in the wet.

Please correct me and add information as you can
Cheers :approve:
mark.

2005 Nissan Navara
ATB is Quaife's own brand/type. As said they act open if one wheel looses traction.
They are typically less agressive in terms of tramlining and inducing understeer on zero throttle.
Plate type limit slip according to torque input. So full throttle/torque.
There locking ability/rate is dependent on lobe ramp rates, and spring per-load in the cluth pack. More preload and they will be quite agressive, tramling "folllowing the road" as it were. Ramp rates will determine how they act on over-run. U can have them open on over run, partially closed or fully closed. the latter tends to induce oversteer, whihc is typically counter acted by trailing the throttle.

Avanti make very good plate diff's, look them up. they offer bolt on crown wheel option also, so better for fine tuning your transmission.

350z/172 cup
ATB is Quaife's own brand/type. As said they act open if one wheel looses traction.
They are typically less agressive in terms of tramlining and inducing understeer on zero throttle.
Plate type limit slip according to torque input. So full throttle/torque.
There locking ability/rate is dependent on lobe ramp rates, and spring per-load in the cluth pack. More preload and they will be quite agressive, tramling "folllowing the road" as it were. Ramp rates will determine how they act on over-run. U can have them open on over run, partially closed or fully closed. the latter tends to induce oversteer, whihc is typically counter acted by trailing the throttle.

Avanti make very good plate diff's, look them up. they offer bolt on crown wheel option also, so better for fine tuning your transmission.

Quaife didnt design that diff. It was originally designed by Mazda for the Rx7 and then Quaife coppied it.

Plate diffs are fairly brutal, but a quaife diff would suit a street car.