ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M140 Thread

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
i watched the Chris Harris video back last night were he tested the RS3 and M135i, admittedly he did say the 135 has no feeling what so ever from the steering wheel, but he did say it was incredibly accurate, i mean are they REALLY that bad? i have never felt out of control in mine, i am no driving god, but i can peddle a car down the road ok, they get a bit flighty if the roads uneven but i have never really found the handling or the steering to be an issue, and in my 30 off years of driving i have driven ALOT of cars.
I watched that video SO MANY TIMES before i got my M135i.
Ended up actually hating Chris Harris for the 18 months i was stuck with the lease :ROFLMAO:
I did have an 8V RS3 though (not an 8P like in the video) and only used it on the road, so never experienced anything like understeer.
For me it wasnt so much about the way it went down the road, or the overall ability, it was the lack of feel, like driving via a PS2 steering wheel lol.

I came out of a GP1 and went back into an e46 M3 though (& had the track R53 alongside the M135i), so maybe i expected too much!! On the flipside, whilst i hated my passive damped, 3dr manual M135i as a "drivers car", the auto/adaptive 5dr one i had made far more sense as a "quick daily". Neither were a patch on the 8V RS3 on the road though. Track would have been different im sure!!

Last edited:

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I watched that video SO MANY TIMES before i got my M135i.
Ended up actually hating Chris Harris for the 18 months i was stuck with the lease :ROFLMAO:
I did have an 8V RS3 though (not an 8P like in the video) and only used it on the road, so never experienced anything like understeer.
For me it wasnt so much about the way it went down the road, or the overall ability, it was the lack of feel, like driving via a PS2 steering wheel lol.

I came out of a GP1 and went back into an e46 M3 though (& had the track R53 alongside the M135i), so maybe i expected too much!! On the flipside, whilst i hated my passive damped, 3dr manual M135i as a "drivers car", the auto/adaptive 5dr one i had made far more sense as a "quick daily". Neither were a patch on the 8V RS3 on the road though. Track would have been different im sure!!
This is probably why i don't see an issue, 90% of my driving is commuting or urban, and for that the car does everything i want, even when we went to Scotland i could only peddle on as quick as the misses stomach would take, which was shorts bursts here and there... :ROFLMAO: , and the car was still really good, i know it's no RS Megane, but it does most things very very well imo.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
This is probably why i don't see an issue, 90% of my driving is commuting or urban, and for that the car does everything i want, even when we went to Scotland i could only peddle on as quick as the misses stomach would take, which was shorts bursts here and there... :ROFLMAO: , and the car was still really good, i know it's no RS Megane, but it does most things very very well imo.
This is the conundrum I have about buying an M2. Someone, on another forum, said that a 135/140 is 75% of the car an M2 is but an M2 is 75% more money!
Ive been going up to scotland now every year for the last 3 and its epic. Could I justify another 15k on top of my 140 for an m2 just for that 1 week of the year when im hooning in Scotland? Not really.

For the money, I dont think a 135/140 can be beaten. It doesnt have a great feel and at speeds its definitely butt hole clenching but thats half the fun, no? If a car is as capable as say a RS3, wheres the fun? Its like when I drove my dads Golf R for 3 weeks before I went out and bought my 140. Its an amazingly capable car, but thats also its downfall in my eyes. The fun is only to be had at 9/10ths and then its bye bye licence or big big crash. The 140 is much more one edge and with the incoming numb electric cars, its a great car imo :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

This is what I have to remind myself when I go wayward looking at cars. For the vast majority of my driving the 'best handling' car I could buy probably wouldn't be the best suited and the most fun for me as I'd never get to test it in reality.

This is the conundrum I have about buying an M2. Someone, on another forum, said that a 135/140 is 75% of the car an M2 is but an M2 is 75% more money!
Ive been going up to scotland now every year for the last 3 and its epic. Could I justify another 15k on top of my 140 for an m2 just for that 1 week of the year when im hooning in Scotland? Not really.

For the money, I dont think a 135/140 can be beaten. It doesnt have a great feel and at speeds its definitely butt hole clenching but thats half the fun, no? If a car is as capable as say a RS3, wheres the fun? Its like when I drove my dads Golf R for 3 weeks before I went out and bought my 140. Its an amazingly capable car, but thats also its downfall in my eyes. The fun is only to be had at 9/10ths and then its bye bye licence or big big crash. The 140 is much more one edge and with the incoming numb electric cars, its a great car imo :)

When i took my mate to pick up his M235I it was a husband and wife petrol heads. They had a M235I, 340i Estate and just bought a new M2 Comp. They said they had discussions before my mate picked it up of selling the M2 or 340i and keeping the M235i as they thought it was a better all rounder by some margin. I just love those arches..

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
This is what I have to remind myself when I go wayward looking at cars. For the vast majority of my driving the 'best handling' car I could buy probably wouldn't be the best suited and the most fun for me as I'd never get to test it in reality.

When i took my mate to pick up his M235I it was a husband and wife petrol heads. They had a M235I, 340i Estate and just bought a new M2 Comp. They said they had discussions before my mate picked it up of selling the M2 or 340i and keeping the M235i as they thought it was a better all rounder by some margin. I just love those arches..
That seems to be the general consensus too. I absolutely love my 140. So much so, I threatened to sell it to fund my wedding and my entire family (sensing the oncoming loss-of-car depression) all told me that if I sold it, they wouldnt attend the wedding 🤣 🤣 🤣

It is a great all rounder. Its not the most comfortable GT car, nor it is the sharpest hot hatch. But its closer to a GT car than a hot hatch. Treat it as such and its marvelllous. Ive done the NC500 twice in it and various other trips including Wales. Its just great at churning miles and then being fun when you get there.

BUT....those arches.......
200.gif

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Agree with all the above, i have never been in an M2, i imagine it's an occasion every time you drive it, but in everyday life your not using the extra it has to offer very often at all.

i never considered a Rolf or an S3 really, the engine was always going to draw me to an M135i, although last night was a bit disappointing going home from work a Rolf and Rolf estate caught us and were in front at the lights, they changed, and my lad said why aren't we going after them whilst we sat there with the traction light having an epileptic fit.. :ROFLMAO:

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
my lads thinking of a F22 M235i for his next car.

from a quick search I can't see that they have any major issues, anyone know any different?
I did more research than id care to admit on these cars before I bought mine......

235i have the N55 engine. The internet will tell you that they suffer from oil starvation. They rarely do as long as topped up. Also, donuts arent advised but open diff isnt exactly easy to do anyway. Otherwise, theyre pvery reliable engines on the whole. Service them at 10k or less (not the 15k?! BMW state like mentalists) and they will be fine. Valvetronic motors can go sometimes.

My 140 is on over 70k now. Its been really faultless. *touches wood*...........*in own pants*

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Agree with all the above, i have never been in an M2, i imagine it's an occasion every time you drive it, but in everyday life your not using the extra it has to offer very often at all.

i never considered a Rolf or an S3 really, the engine was always going to draw me to an M135i, although last night was a bit disappointing going home from work a Rolf and Rolf estate caught us and were in front at the lights, they changed, and my lad said why aren't we going after them whilst we sat there with the traction light having an epileptic fit.. :ROFLMAO:
yeaaaaaahhhhhhh. Might aswell drive a Micra in the winter with these 🤣

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
my lads thinking of a F22 M235i for his next car.

from a quick search I can't see that they have any major issues, anyone know any different?
None that i know of, but tell him to check history, i have seen quite a few people complaining about buying M135/140/235's they thought were standard, only to find out later they have been mapped or messed with, it happened to me, good tell tale sign is the cold start being coded out.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
None that i know of, but tell him to check history, i have seen quite a few people complaining about buying M135/140/235's they thought were standard, only to find out later they have been mapped or messed with, it happened to me, good tell tale sign is the cold start being coded out.
Yep, many many remaps now. Another good way to tell is to get an appropriate compatable OBD scanner, download the MHD app free and it tells you if its been flashed and how many times too ;)

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Some of the 140's in here are amazing. I've aspired to own one for around 3-4 years now. The R26 has curbed the want a little, but it's still there. They seem like the ultimate daily. Prices seemed to have soared too recently, like everything else. Seems like it's hard to find a nice one sub 20K now.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Some of the 140's in here are amazing. I've aspired to own one for around 3-4 years now. The R26 has curbed the want a little, but it's still there. They seem like the ultimate daily. Prices seemed to have soared too recently, like everything else. Seems like it's hard to find a nice one sub 20K now.
they seem like the ultimate daily until you get christmas cards from your local fuel station :poop:

Nah, they are great. Hang fire on the prices though, they will come back down and it wont be too long. For reference, I paid £17 for mine 2 weeks before the first lockdown. Its still worth around that now and ive put over 20k on the clock ;)

HenryG

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
Iv had my m140 for a year now had two issues, break pad sensors failed and i needed a new wing mirror motor i also have the creek door seal issues requireing some Gt85 every now and then. The B58 in the 140 is as stated quite a solid engine dose not suffer with oil starvation like the previous N55 in the 135. There are oil filter problems, they can fall apart in the housing when being replaced the risk of this can be reduce by ignoring the service interval at 18k and taking it to someone competent. I have a sevice pack covering servicing and MOT for 2 years (£720). The standed exhaust on a 140 can develop a rattle from a valve. I have an Msport upgrade avoiding this issue. Iv had 4 new tires £550 total id imagine a M2 costs a lot more in rubber. In my view its a perfect partner to my 182 driveline is brilliant the interior a nice place to be. I would say spec makes a big difference there are plenty of poverty spec models out there. If inclined to go out just to enjoy the sensation of driving the clio is on hand!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Just been scouring eBay and AutoTrader for M140i's. As previously stated the prices are still strong! It is also hard to find one that is a good spec and standard, then that instantly boosts the price.
Think I found two that I would have gone to take a look at. Basically want what I had before but a 5 door (shaddow edition, pro nav, heated seats, I'd leave the adaptive suspension to go for Bilsteins) and maybe a Silver or Orange over the Grey. Only say a 5 door as now I have the back seats being used more when my, the girlfirend and her son go places so that will make it a lot easier.
BMW settled the finance on mine back in March (I had it for just over two years) without me paying anything extra (I would have kept it if I had to pay, just made financial sense at the time to not have that payment going out each month as I spent that on saving for a house the Clio instead), I had a strong feeling they already had a buyer before it was collected as they were so keen to come that day to collect and for a lot more than what they paid for it.
Never had any issues with it. Only went for one service in my ownership and nothing went wrong. Think I covered just shy of 17k miles. Being brand new I did feel compelled to get it serviced at the dealership which was the only negative in owning it, and one reason I got rid before the big service bills came in.

IMG_7020.jpeg

IMG_6673.jpeg

IMG_6799.jpeg

Then it came to the rescue when the E34 and the Clio wouldn't start within 5 mins of each other - it was basically a very powerful mobile jump starter that day.
IMG_7131.jpeg

IMG_7132.jpeg

It is a toss up between another M140i and a Alpina D3 Bi-turbo. The other week I wouldn't have considered another M140i but it is become a strong contender! Just need to wait to move house first as that will dictate what I can afford, or with the sensible head on what I probably shouldn't spend my money on!! As having my Skoda around for that will be good to use as a work horse for lugging stuff about and to the tip without getting a nice new car ruined.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Just remebered I have an F20/21 boot liner I am not in any need of if anyone is interested in it.
https://cliosport.net/threads/bmw-1-series-f20-f21-boot-liner.836834/

It is a really good bit of kit. I used to put my muddy mountain bike in the back of my car and you wouldn't have known when I took the liner out. In a way turns it into a van as the cover goes up to the rear windows and attaches to the head rests of the front seats.

Snotter's
Should be mint when she is back then up for sale she goes 😂
CC2CADD8-6A71-4E9D-83EB-D1E3C5033C28.jpeg

Attachments

• 389B3FF7-1C1F-498B-880A-52053C1116C7.jpeg
    389B3FF7-1C1F-498B-880A-52053C1116C7.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 50FFD7CD-92F9-4519-BC34-E0B1FB5CD05C.jpeg
    50FFD7CD-92F9-4519-BC34-E0B1FB5CD05C.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20BAD887-2431-48BB-BA22-1C541C97D0D1.jpeg
    20BAD887-2431-48BB-BA22-1C541C97D0D1.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 54
  • C03FE8D6-E17C-4E63-A6CD-F6C4A1B242B5.jpeg
    C03FE8D6-E17C-4E63-A6CD-F6C4A1B242B5.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 67
  • BB66DE07-B3D1-48A3-89CA-F7D2BEEFB441.jpeg
    BB66DE07-B3D1-48A3-89CA-F7D2BEEFB441.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 5AB0832A-78F3-4168-9759-46307EC4F4CC.jpeg
    5AB0832A-78F3-4168-9759-46307EC4F4CC.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 48
  • E61876FE-948B-4B43-B346-607E2663F0C5.jpeg
    E61876FE-948B-4B43-B346-607E2663F0C5.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 57
  • AC6BEDB0-770F-4A73-9C17-CEC1771AC1BD.jpeg
    AC6BEDB0-770F-4A73-9C17-CEC1771AC1BD.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 56

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2

M240i... add an lsd, downpipe & remap, you have a faster more practical car than the M2 with 10k change in your pocket..

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member

No doubt they are just as quick and quicker with some choice mods in some cases but they just don't have that special feeling or heritage a full fat M car has

Granted paying the extra for some imaginary feelings probably isn't for everyone [emoji1787]

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
No doubt they are just as quick and quicker with some choice mods in some cases but they just don't have that special feeling or heritage a full fat M car has

Granted paying the extra for some imaginary feelings probably isn't for everyone [emoji1787]
Do you think so?

My only experience driving one has been around goodwood on a BMW experience day. The difference between a 140 and an m2 was definitely apparant. The difference between a M2 and M4 didnt really feel like that much. Other than the obvious bump in power and larger car, it didnt feel any more 'special'. Maybe im not good enough a driver to experience that or maybe its my limited seat time but I havent once looked at M4's for sale truthfully.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Guess it depends how much you are into the heritage of the M brand. Every M car I've been in has a certain something that the M lites just don't have. Stock for Stock it's even more apparent

M4 doesn't do anything for me either to be fair. M3 of the F8X gen is the way to go for sure.

M2 is the ultimate modern M car. Good size of car, brilliant chassis and depending on your own opinion between the N55/S55 a choice of two pretty decent lumps

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
The F8X are looking like amazing value. I honestly just love how nimble and small the M2 felt. Thats what does it for me. Its a harp back to my Clio in that sense.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
The problem with M4's now is that the image they give off is quite.....err.......anyway....

They're also getting to a point where some can jump into them on a decent monthly and fail to maintain them very well.

Looks wise, id have one of them (although prefer the M2&M3) over ANYTHING new bmw have produced. The new design department are too busy smoking meth and vomiting on the drawing board to even realise how w**k they look

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I'm a fan of the G80 to be honest [emoji28] M3>M4 again though

Mate has had his Toronto Red M3 for a good few months now, seriously good car but it definitely feels more of a 5 series now. Interior is next level from the F8X as well.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Aha it's a grower for sure. Looks much better in person but I'll agree some of thr styling is a bit fussy and that's not including the grills which I don't have a dislike for at all now
Besides the grills, im there. Grills though. Lawd oh lawd.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Im tempted for a 240i as a daily if the prices go back to normal ! They are still far to high most of them !

Was considering an M4 but for the spec i want and for just a daily that will spend most its time on the drive i cant really justify it , im sure a 240i will give me enough fun and i want an auto for a daily being the main objective.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Look forward to seeing the mods. 😂

if you change the rear arb, sell me your standard one.. 😆