ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M5 Tourer

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Had it 18 months now which is the longest I have ever kept a car. It really gets under your skin, lots of,space, comfortable, goes like stink and sounds great as standard.

Not had any issues with it tbh other than a few bits under warranty, more the common issues they suffer with.

Just fitted 4x new Mich Supersports, on my 2nd set and they only last 7k but worth it. MPG is truly shocking @ 13mpg but I really don't care.

Anyhow, 6 monthly detail just done and she still looks sharp.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I would love one of these, but the 'fix figures' scare the s**t out of me.

Things like secondary cats, and secondary silencers wouldn't last long if I had one. :smilingimp:

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I would love one of these, but the 'fix figures' scare the s**t out of me.

Things like secondary cats, and secondary silencers wouldn't last long if I had one. :smilingimp:

If you buy one with under 60k on the clock you can add on dealer warranty, no drama than.

Need to keep exhaust stock due to warranty.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Still looks a lovely car @Ant1
And I agree warranty is a must when Vanos replacement can set you back 6k at a dealer.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Engine of the God's. Must be a real rare car? Shame about the exhaust as they do sound nice and fruity with another set-up, it obviously wasn't designed to be a loud saloon.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Engine of the God's. Must be a real rare car? Shame about the exhaust as they do sound nice and fruity with another set-up, it obviously wasn't designed to be a loud saloon.

I'm really keen to play with the exhaust but don't want to risk future warranty claims, especially if it's a big one.

They only built 208 world wide and they where all sold in Europe, last time I checked there where only 160 left.

Absolutely love these things. Don't know how many times I have watched that Top Gear episode where they pitched it against the E63 AMG on the runway.
I looked into these a few years back when I was compiling my dream car and this seemed to cover all basis. I remember reading somewhere that the fuel tanks are really small so you only get 200 miles or so to a tank. Would still buy one just for that engine.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Fuel
Absolutely love these things. Don't know how many times I have watched that Top Gear episode where they pitched it against the E63 AMG on the runway.
I looked into these a few years back when I was compiling my dream car and this seemed to cover all basis. I remember reading somewhere that the fuel tanks are really small so you only get 200 miles or so to a tank. Would still buy one just for that engine.

Fuel tank capacity is s**t!

I also owned a E63 AMG estate (same as top gear vid) before the M5. Fuel tank was much larger!!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
How do the 2 compare Ant? Great comparison for you in fairness.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Great! I had a 'play' with one in my Z4M about a year ago when coming off a roundabout. I got owned obviously, but f**k me it sounded amazing! One of my all time favourite engine noises ever.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Estate versions of super saloons > saloon versions of super saloons.

If I'm being absolutely honest I'd have the E63 out of the two, but that's mainly just because I'm a merc man. I'd still sell my dick to have either.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

Quite a lot of differences but will keep it short.

Mercedes feels like a much better built car, brakes are better, feels more solid, interior quality although looks dated, makes my M5 feel like a mondeo.

Grunt, Mercedes is smooth as silk, glides along effortless and you always here the rumble from engine/exhaust.

Tank in the AMG is larger and I averaged 16-17mpg which is quite a difference between the two.

However, the M5 is and feels much better to drive, better control, puts the power down better, more focused, and although the gearbox is harsh, when your diving it hard, it's sublime.

If I wanted comfort etc, AMG fits the bill, but if you are a focused driver that wants the most out the performance, other than the brakes, M5 wins in all areas.

Both amazing cars though and enjoyed owning them.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Think I'd have the merc, purely because of the gearbox (with it being an executive saloon).

An i8 with that lump would be phenomenal.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Think I'd have the merc, purely because of the gearbox (with it being an executive saloon).

An i8 with that lump would be phenomenal.

Other issue with the AMG was that in manual mode to use paddles, you couldn't bulk shift from say 6th to 3rd, you have to change all way down the gears, friggin annoying.

An orange one
Some car! I really love it. There's an M5 vid on YouTube with a full eisenmann and no stupid music and it's just utter ear p**n!

When these were on top gear did he say they had something random like a moving boot floor or was that the merc??

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
How much is the extended warranty if you buy below 60k? I have to have one of these.

£93 per month with a £250 excess per claim.

Some car! I really love it. There's an M5 vid on YouTube with a full eisenmann and no stupid music and it's just utter ear p**n!

When these were on top gear did he say they had something random like a moving boot floor or was that the merc??

Neither that I know of.