ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook battery issue.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Recently got given a Macbook.

Only works when plugged into mains, and the battery symbol shows a "x" through it and says "No batteries available"...

Any ideas what this is?

Originally I thought a shot battery, but surely even if the battery was finished it would still recognise it has one connected.

Also, I got an SMC update, ran that, rebooted and the battery was recognised for about 30 seconds before going back to the "x".

Cheers.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say the battery is shot.

Do you have an apple authorised repair place local? Not an official store, just an authorised little independent. If you take it there, they will likely stick one of their batteries in to see if the problem is resolved for free, and you don't have to que/battle through kids who aren't buying anything at the official apple store.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I'd say the battery is shot.

Do you have an apple authorised repair place local? Not an official store, just an authorised little independent. If you take it there, they will likely stick one of their batteries in to see if the problem is resolved for free, and you don't have to que/battle through kids who aren't buying anything at the official apple store.

It sounds stupid to suggest the battery isn't shot, but after the SMC, and the Macbook not recognising it all together, it seems something more sinister.
I reinstalled S/Leopard, and it offered me the SMC update, but alas, only worked for 30 seconds.

I guess I'll find an auth dealer, see what they suggest.

Did laugh at the description of the official apple store though, couldn't be more precise.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Can't you change the battery yourself if it's one of the older models? How old is it Phoon?

It's a late 2008 model. Got it for free and only using it for xCode anyway (which means getting Lion or Mountain Lion on it).
I could change the battery myself, would rather just not fish out the $ for one if its a software issue.