ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbooks

Lou

Depends what your going to be using it for. If your just going to be using it for everyday stuff internet., mail, itunes etc... Macbook will be fine easily

macbook pro is aimed at the creative industry.
so professional music recording or graphic design work.

but if you do these things just as a hobby the macbook will cope fine.

i just bought a macbook and been recording some tracks on it.

Thanks guys! MacBook it is!

Lou

I'd get a MBP TBH.

Extra £100. But you get illuminated keys, between screen, SD slot, firewire, better casing.

I'll have a go of both in the shop and see what takes my fancy!

Is it true the MacBooks casing is like the iPhone and can crack easily?!?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd get a MBP TBH.

Extra £100. But you get illuminated keys, between screen, SD slot, firewire, better casing.

Not really worth the extra £100, imo - but the standard Macbook definitely looks more 'girly' than the Macbook Pro.

The SD slot in a standard Macbook would be a good feature - probably something they will add in the future?

D.

Lou, they're aluminum, so I don't expect them to crack.

More common is people complaining about the MacBooks colour going orange.

Ronnie, not so sure on ram mate. Depends how intensive you plan on being, but they'll be pretty good as standard and it's always cheaper to add it yourself.

Also, it's Mac. MAC is make up ;)

Audi S1
Lou, they're aluminum, so I don't expect them to crack.

More common is people complaining about the MacBooks colour going orange.

Ronnie, not so sure on ram mate. Depends how intensive you plan on being, but they'll be pretty good as standard and it's always cheaper to add it yourself.

Also, it's Mac. MAC is make up ;)

I have 2GB on my laptop at the moment, suits me fine, I didn't no whether the "Mac's" ;) were different.

Think I'm going to have a play with one on the weekend again, students get 15% off I think I saw... I'll get my gf to do it then :)

Audi S1
Can someone comfirm how much discount a student will get please on a Macbook (not pro) ?

I'm at work at the apple site don't allo me through due to my Desktop is on a static IP.

Lou

Think I'm just going to get the new MacBook. Going to see if Apple have any offers on it on Friday as received an email about Friday being their 'biggest shopping event of the year'!

Yeah, it's Black Friday

Otherwise, do you know anyone at Uni?

Or just call them up to order it, "It's for my sister, she's at Edinburgh Uni studying Haggis and Tartan, it's a surprise but obviously she's entitled to the discount.."

That's 15% off.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
RAM wise what would you reccomend?

I heard MAC are generally quick.

Put 4 GB ram in mine. Didn't notice any immediate difference until i opened up photoshop with loads of high res images. It was pretty quick with the 2gb in. more so with the 4gb but id say its not worth it unless your editing files/having loads of programmes opened up at once.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Hmm so $100 + 15% higher education discount = £700 ish for a MBP

According to the apple representative I was speaking with yesterday apple won't allow both discounts at the same time. Unfortunately it's one or the other!

S2 106 GTI
I am looking for a mac at the mo - decided to jump ship fom windows. But unsure what to go for?

I have £450 from insurance (old laptop broke) and put more towards it.

Best place to buy one from? Apple shop, pc world?

If you know anyone at Uni then they get a decent discount.

Apple prices are pretty standard in 99% of places TBH.

I'd got for a 13" MacBook Pro.

Z4
When I was looking at the macbooks (instead of the mini I've decided on) I found the 13' screen to be too small. The 15' seemed to be the best all round package imo.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
When I was looking at the macbooks (instead of the mini I've decided on) I found the 13' screen to be too small. The 15' seemed to be the best all round package imo.

+1

Thats what I'm going for :)

S2 106 GTI
It is a very small size screen 13in......does the macbook only come with a 13in screen? only the macbook pro the bigger screens?

Ollie's Silver Cup
I'd got for a 13" MacBook Pro.

^^^ this! :approve:

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro a few months back and lovin' it :D

Highly recommend them!

Been using mac's for the past 4 years; the macbook pro being purchased to replace an existing macbook and iMac :)

I was a little concerned with dropping to a single 13" screen, thinking I'd sometimes miss the larger screen of the iMac, but the LED screen on the macbook pro is very impressive! :)

Is the 17" too big for just general use?

Depends on your 'general use' mate.

I'd say 17" is a bit big to carry about with you and might be a bit awkward sat on your lap etc.

If you're sat at a desk all the time, it'd be fine.

Although if it's all desk based.. 27" iMac ;)

Ph1.2 / VW Polo
macbook id go for, if your just using it for internet and basic hobby stuff.
no need to spend more money on a mb pro i think, as the macbook will handle its self anyway.