ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Machine polishing

Clio MK 4
Got a question after using my DAS-6 Pro for the first time yesterday. As it was my first time i thought i'd start on a light polish and glaze. My car (black fiesta) is in decent condition but does have light scratches / swirl marks. Used Menz 106fa and white hex pad followed by Back hole and black hex pad. After inspection I still have a fair amount of swirl marks which i thought would have been removed with this combo. So bit disappointing as it took me 7 hours!

What would people recommend to remove these? Should I carry on with 106fa but use a green hex pad which is the next one up from white? Or should I just skip that and go to menz 203S with white hex pad?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You sound just like me when I first posted up about not getting the desired results, and in my situation it all came down to technique. But in fairness the combo used in generally for finishing down, although the pro's will more than likely be able to make it work for them.

All I can recommend is more practice and watching the many video demonstrations untill and experienced user can give you more advice

Clio MK 4
It weird as I'm sure I did everything right and took my time on each panel. I honestly don't think I could have done more! At the start for the first 2 hours I wasn't as good as later on as i relaxed more and found removing the polish with eraser much easier so must have not broken it down enough at first.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
203's is usually fine but the White pad will be quite harsh.

You really need to be inspecting every panel at a time, you'll never know the combo is working if you know what I mean. Ford paint is pretty easy to work with imo.

Getting the right combo and technique is key.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
That will have less cut than the White pad though.

Clio MK 4
will give white pad with 203s a go and might go up to green pad. It just difficult as i don't have a PTG reader and don't want to keep hacking at the paintwork making it worse lol. Also i saw your thread when you only used prima amigo and thought the difference was amazing and hid a lot of swirls. I was kind of hoping Blackhole would do that as it similiar. Is it probably my technique as opposed to the product?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It really just depends mate, DA and Rotary work with glazes on the right pad. I love showing people what can be done. Glazes and filling imo are still underrated.

When doing other people cars pure correction is more important obviously but you can't polish a car forever if you know what I mean.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Glazing is fine with most pads mate. Blue, Red, Black all quite soft.

So you have hex Red and Black?

Clio MK 4
Nah only have the black but would get the red if it's worth it. Do you ever recommend using a DA for sealants? I currently use Werkstat Acrylic Jett

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
I'd take Black Hole out of the equation - you shouldn't need it after using something like 106FA and finishing down properly.

The white pad with 203S via DA on Ford should give you great results in reality. It's probably your technique more than anything else. How large is your working area? What speeds and pressure are you using?

With the right technique 203S should finish down perfectly on Ford paint too.

Clio MK 4
Sweet will try 203s. I use 3 small dots on the pad, spread it over a small panel, then turn it on speed 2/3 spread it for a few passes not to much pressure, then go up to speed 6 bit more pressure and go over steady pace about 15 20 passes or about 5 mins, then slow it back down for few passes. Use eraser to remove excess polish etc. Sound alright or am i doing it wrong?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols! The missus will be bloody thrilled with that!