ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Made my own ultrasonic injector cleaning set up...

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Basically, I wanted to clean out my injectors properly! The redex crap is exactly that and I think the only way to clean them properly is to leave them in an ultrasonic bath.

I researched into it whilst on my lunch breaks at work and saw that simply leaving them in an ultrasonic bath wouldn't do that much in comparison to with them being pulsed like they would be in a real life situation. So I had a search, and bought an ultra sonic cleaning bath!

15350477731_dbba9188bc_b.jpg
DSCN2652 by dann2707, on Flickr

It had loads of great reviews online so went for that one.

I had a spare injector from when I replaced mine a month ago as it was giving me hassle.

15353347482_ed292caf65_b.jpg
DSCN2655 by dann2707, on Flickr

I then bought a petrol injector pulser.

15167143987_b4c9d7f2b2_b.jpg
DSCN2657 by dann2707, on Flickr

However this gave me a bit of a problem (known to me already). It only worked on the car battery as in 12v, which wasn't ideal as everytime i'd want to do this i'd have to be in stupidly close proximity to my battery in the freezing cold = not comfortable at all.

15353659395_f137b0f797_b.jpg
DSCN2660 by dann2707, on Flickr

So a bit of googling returned results that I could actually use a spare computer PSU to get a 12V feed by simply crimping the yellow wires together.

15167080648_1b12e0c747_b.jpg
DSCN2663 by dann2707, on Flickr

So I did just that, crimping the blacks together for the earth and the yellows for the 12V. I can actually use the reds for another feed, think it might be 5v or something :)

15353335322_03c02218b4_b.jpg
DSCN2664 by dann2707, on Flickr

I can then (crudely) hook up the injector tester to my PSU and voila, it powers up. I do intend on making it more secure in the future as now it is simply crocodile clipped onto the wires of the PSU as shown.

15353335322_03c02218b4_b.jpg
DSCN2664 by dann2707, on Flickr

I then needed to test the injector using the pulser however I obviously need to get some pressure behind the injector. This was really just to see how it was looking prior to cleaning. As said, it was giving me some issues that's why I changed it. I then found some pipe that it would fit into snugly!

15353647775_cab9296324_b.jpg
DSCN2671 by dann2707, on Flickr

I then hooked up a squeezy bottle to the other end, again this was air tight so my intentions were to fill the pipe with fluid through the blue bit and screw the bottle on and then squeeze that to apply pressure to the injector.

15330618246_76d2a6e9dc_b.jpg
DSCN2672 by dann2707, on Flickr

I then hooked up the terminals to the injector

15353642195_359cefcfce_b.jpg
DSCN2673 by dann2707, on Flickr

15350450191_e92c19382c_b.jpg
DSCN2675 by dann2707, on Flickr

And now I can squeeze the bottle whilst pulsing the injector.

15353318732_cdae9fef74_b.jpg
DSCN2676 by dann2707, on Flickr

When doing this test I noticed that the injector only appeared to be spraying out of two parts and hitting the glass in two clear parts, much like a car windscreen washer. I couldn't get a picture of this as I don't have three hands.

I then filled the bath with near boiling water and all purpose cleaner (actually got some proper cleaner waiting for me to collect at work)

15353313442_f1c1953e09_b.jpg
DSCN2679 by dann2707, on Flickr

15353628825_7e232025fe_b.jpg
DSCN2680 by dann2707, on Flickr

I then turned the pulser to constantly pulse and turned the bath on for 480 seconds.

15353307832_ae03858f49_b.jpg
DSCN2682 by dann2707, on Flickr

15350434711_92616c7d7b_b.jpg
DSCN2683 by dann2707, on Flickr

I could see the dirt coming off, not as much as what I expected however.

Hooking up the injector back to my homebrew pressure tester lead to some interesting results. I thought I had completely broken it as it wasn't spraying any fluid...

or what I thought anyway, I just couldn't see anything?? So I got my torch shining on the injector and it turned out it was actually spraying but instead of clear droplets that I could see before it was more of a mist and that's why I couldn't see it! I also noticed that instead of it spraying out of two nozzles like before it was actually spraying out of all 4 of the micro holes in the end.

This is proven that it worked as the injector should ideally be spraying in a mist rather than like a hose pipe like it was before!

Glad my little ghetto testing and cleaning rig worked :) Going to be doing my actual ones at the weekend with the proper cleaning fluid.

Thanks for reading.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Gucci as f**k!

How is much did this cost you altogether?

Also so interested in your power supply as I need one for my homebrew flocking machine

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Gucci as f**k!

How is much did this cost you altogether?

Also so interested in your power supply as I need one for my homebrew flocking machine

£40 for the cleaner. £40 for the pulser and £10 for the fluid.

PSU I just had lying around after uprating my current computers :) Crimps also just in the garage as we an engineering family I suppose :p haha

Is gucci some kind of southern term?? (I know its an aftershave etc) haha

Good effort kid, saves a bob or two, :)

Thanks mate! :)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I have no idea what i have just read :(

lmao this made me laugh more than what it should have.

Injectors get clogged up on the inside due to s**t fuel/ particles getting past the fuel filter. This leads to inefficiency as they aren't performing up to spec = low fuel rate = loss of power = no smiles/ hard willehs

Using an ultrasonic bath uses sound waves to create bubbles that cleans anything you put in (used to clean jewellery etc) and unclogs the injectors :D That's what i've made!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
£40 for the cleaner. £40 for the pulser and £10 for the fluid.

PSU I just had lying around after uprating my current computers :) Crimps also just in the garage as we an engineering family I suppose :p haha

Is gucci some kind of southern term?? (I know its an aftershave etc) haha

Thanks mate! :)

Gucci is good lol.
not bad outlay, although it's probably just as cheap to send them away. You can now at least do more than one set lol.

go any more info on the PSU? Frequency/output etc.?

RB Clio 182
I know about the 1st paragragh, it was the second one which confused me, im s**t with electrics mate, good work :)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Gucci is good lol.
not bad outlay, although it's probably just as cheap to send them away. You can now at least do more than one set lol.

go any more info on the PSU? Frequency/output etc.?

I think it's usually around £20+ vat for each injector for it to be done properly.

Exactly, was intending to do other peoples for beer tokens/donations. If anyone's interested give me a shout :)

The PSU mod is pretty generic as they all follow the same colour code apart from REALLY old dell units apparently. I used this guide mate

http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-an-ATX-Power-Supply-Into-a-Regular-DC-Powe/

Basically find all the yellow wires in the PSU and crimp them together (has to be all the yellow wires as they all add up to the correct voltage)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
you should also measure the liquid through put before and after. buy a measuring cylinder and squirt into that over say 60 seconds. this way you can see if one injector isnt performing as well as the others etc etc

Am I wrong in thinking that you can power an injector by putting 12v directly to it? Or is that where the injector tester comes into play? do they run at a much lower voltage?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
you should also measure the liquid through put before and after. buy a measuring cylinder and squirt into that over say 60 seconds. this way you can see if one injector isnt performing as well as the others etc etc

I was thinking that however I'd need something to regulate the pressure placed on the injector as at the moment it is entirely dependent on the pressure I put on the bottle. I can't force more fluid through it but if I let go of the bottle less fluid comes out if that makes sense.

Am I wrong in thinking that you can power an injector by putting 12v directly to it? Or is that where the injector tester comes into play? do they run at a much lower voltage?

Much lower voltage I think dude. And this tester pulses them at a ridiculously fast rate! I'll have to get a video of it showing it using my tripod that I use for biking.

dan's cast offs.

last time i saw one wired to 12v without being pulsed it started smoking after about 5 seconds;)

Just to let everyone know, I sent my original injectors down to dann2707 and he cleaned and pulsed them in his ultrasonic bath. They came back and are working 100%

I strongly recommend anyone with faulty injectors or if anyone is wanting their injectors cleaned for peace of mind they should drop him a PM

Great service and price with a very quick turnaround which was all updated from start to finish.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
He has a set of mine too.
upon initial testing it's showing that a couple are weak so hopefully good results will be had :)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Just to let everyone know, I sent my original injectors down to dann2707 and he cleaned and pulsed them in his ultrasonic bath. They came back and are working 100%

I strongly recommend anyone with faulty injectors or if anyone is wanting their injectors cleaned for peace of mind they should drop him a PM

Great service and price with a very quick turnaround which was all updated from start to finish.

Thank you very much for that :D

He has a set of mine too.
upon initial testing it's showing that a couple are weak so hopefully good results will be had :smile:

Can't wait to get them going again :)

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Just fitted mine after getting them back.

Cars idle is much less lumpy, and engine seems to quieter too, Noticed this much more when on the motorway... cant hear the engine over the wheels noise when before it was louder lol.

Many thanks mate

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
worth noting theres more to the injector than the spray pattern.
this is a brilliant way to extend the efficiency of the injectors but they will still suffer from other issues in the end so not really extending the life of the injector. although realistically they should outlast the car anyway.