ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Major Info Required, 182 Conversion

1.6 16v
Hey there people,

I am completely confused so thought i'd give all you clio brainboxes a shout.

To the point...

Ive got a 2004 1.6 clio but was looking to whack a 182 engine in there... ive seen a couple on ebay and even some at my local scrap place. Basically all i really need to know is, is it as easy as just swapping the new engine with the old one and also replacing the ECU and wiring loom or is there alot more to it? I know i probably sound very stupid but when it comes down to the mechanical side of things, im hopeless.
Somebody has offered me a 182 engine, gearbox, ecu and wiring loom for a very good price but am not sure wether it'll just end with buying those parts....

Thanks guys!

M

mini-valver

apparenlty its a ball ache! See the conversion dteail thread by edde.....

1.6 16v
Was Just checking it out....

The thing is i wanted to buy one in the first place, but couldnt refuse the 1.6 when it came my way....

110bhp.....182bhp.... hmmm......

BMW 330D
You will need alot more than just the engine and gearbox,ive done it to my car and i bought a whole 172 in pieces just to make sure i had everything!.

Off the top of my head you will need :

Engine
Gearbox
ECU
Driveshafts
steering rack
Dials from the 182 (theyre different)
Interior loom (unless its a cup engine you have)
Fuel pump
abs system

Quite a few other bits and pieces as well they are just off the top of my head. It involves ALOT of work!

1.6 16v
You will need alot more than just the engine and gearbox,ive done it to my car and i bought a whole 172 in pieces just to make sure i had everything!.

Off the top of my head you will need :

Engine
Gearbox
ECU
Driveshafts
steering rack
Dials from the 182 (theyre different)
Interior loom (unless its a cup engine you have)
Fuel pump
abs system

Quite a few other bits and pieces as well they are just off the top of my head. It involves ALOT of work!
So Basically its a NONO lol.

Well, i suppose it was a good idea...
How did your conversion turn out? What did you go from 1.2? 1.4?

BMW 330D

Wouldnt say its a no no lol. Its just a hell of a lot of work imo!.
I went from a 1.2 to 2.0
After a fair few problems its getting there now.
Another advantage is i dont have to pay nearly £200 a year for tax :D

M

mini-valver

Id say if youve got deep pockets and have modified your car enough to warrent keeping it then do it as it saves doing all your other mods again. Adam spent ALOT of money on his and im not sure i could justify the amount he spent but if you want to do it, go for it!

Els

Inferno 182 Cup
Someone told me when i thought of putting a puma engine in a fezzy that you will also need the keys if the system has an imobiliser and also the ignition barel.

Should think it will be a LOT of work, i pulled the engine out of my fezzy a few times to do work and even that was a PAIN!

Good luck though

80MPG BEEZA

I went from a 1.2 to 2.0

haha yea how lovely is it paying only £100 for 12 months!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I went from a 1.2 to 2.0

haha yea how lovely is it paying only £100 for 12 months!

are these cars insured as modded, had an engineers report, and a change on the log book then?! :eek: tut tut......

so why you paying 1.2 tax?

cant be on the v5?

Thee so such thing as a 2.0 Dynamique so they isnure the same rate as the doner car.

DLVA wise its ok so long as you don't chnage to much most conversions to swop to much though but thats the least of the DVLA's worries.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
hmmmmm not on our shape there isnt, i'm not convinced, i thought the conversion had to be declared on the v5 too......

hmmmmm not on our shape there isnt, i'm not convinced, i thought the conversion had to be declared on the v5 too......

You only declare the fact its got a different engine which under the rules of the DVLA says its still the old car.

If you said its a 172 you'd reshselled as such ie its the 172 gear in a new shell they'd get it checked.